
Trump set to visit Pakistan in September
ISLAMABAD : US President Donald Trump is expected to visit Pakistan in September, two local television news channels reported today, citing sources familiar with the matter.
If confirmed, the visit would be the first by a US president since nearly two decades ago, when President George W Bush visited Pakistan in 2006.
Pakistan's foreign office spokesman said he was not aware of Trump's expected visit.
The two TV news channels said that Trump would also visit India after arriving in Islamabad in September.
US-Pakistan relations saw a major boost when Trump hosted Pakistan's army chief Field Marshal Asim Munir at the White House last month in an unprecedented meeting.
A US embassy spokesman in Islamabad told Reuters, 'We have nothing to announce,' and said that the White House could not provide confirmation on the president's schedule.
Pakistan's information ministry didn't respond to a Reuters request for a comment.
India is due to host the summit of the so-called Quad countries this year but dates for the meeting have not been announced yet.
The Quad grouping includes the US, India, Australia and Japan and is focused on countering China's rise in the Indo-Pacific region.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles

Malay Mail
2 hours ago
- Malay Mail
Tight race in Japan's upper house election could shake Prime Minister Ishiba's political standing
TOKYO, July 20 — Japanese voters headed to the polls on Sunday in a tightly contested upper house election that could unleash political turmoil, with rising prices and immigration concerns threatening to weaken Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba's grip on power. Voting ends at 8pm (7pm Malaysian time), when media are expected to project results based on exit polls. Opinion polls suggest Ishiba's Liberal Democratic Party and coalition partner Komeito may fall short of the 50 seats needed to retain control of the 248-seat upper house of parliament in an election where half the seats are up for grabs. The polls show that smaller opposition parties pushing for tax cuts and increased public spending are set to gain, among them the right-wing Sanseito which has grabbed voters with slick online messaging about a 'silent invasion' of foreigners. 'A lot of my friends are voting for Sanseito,' said Rin Kuramoto, a 21-year-old college student. 'I think their slogan of 'Japanese-first' is very powerful and easy to understand.' Kuramoto, who declined to say which party got her vote, braved sweltering summer heat to cast her ballot at a packed polling station at the Setagaya ward in Tokyo, the capital. About a fifth of registered voters had already cast their ballot before election day, a sharp increase from the last upper house election three years ago, public broadcaster NHK said. That could signal higher turnout, which may not be a good sign for Ishiba's government, although the vote is being held over a bank holiday weekend. A poor showing by his coalition could shake investor confidence in the world's fourth-largest economy and disrupt critical trade talks with the United States, analysts said. Ishiba may have to choose between making way for a new LDP leader or scrambling to secure the backing of some opposition parties with policy compromises, said Rintaro Nishimura, an associate at the Asia Group in Japan. 'Each scenario requires the LDP and Komeito to make certain concessions, and will be challenging, as any potential partner has leverage in the negotiations.' After the election, Japan faces a deadline of August 1 to strike a trade deal with the United States or face punishing tariffs in its largest export market. These could squeeze the economy and further pressure the government to give financial relief to households already reeling from inflation, including a doubling of rice prices since last year. With an eye on a jittery government bond market, the LDP has called for fiscal restraint and rejected opposition calls for major tax cuts and welfare spending to soften the blow. Ishiba's administration lost its majority in the more powerful lower house in October. That was the LDP's worst showing in 15 years, roiling financial markets and leaving the prime minister vulnerable to no-confidence motions that could topple his administration and trigger a fresh general election. 'The LDP has been running the government without resolving anything,' said Kaoru Kawai, a 59-year-old novelist who voted for the opposition Constitutional Democratic Party of Japan. Ruled by the LDP for most of the post-war period, Japan has so far largely avoided the social division and fracturing of politics seen in other industrialised democracies. — Reuters


Malay Mail
7 hours ago
- Malay Mail
NYT: Epstein was the only guest at Trump's Mar-a-Lago party with ‘young women'
NEW YORK, July 20 — Donald Trump hosted exclusive parties for Jeffrey Epstein at Mar-a-Lago, including a 1992 event featuring Buffalo Bills cheerleaders where NBC cameras captured Trump pointing at women while whispering in Epstein's ear, causing the financier to 'double over with laughter.' According to a New York Times report today, Trump arranged another Mar-a-Lago party for 'young women in a so-called calendar girl competition' where Epstein was remarkably 'the only other guest,' prompting event organiser George Houraney to ask, 'Donald, this is supposed to be a party with VIPs. You're telling me it's you and Epstein?' The two men spent nearly 15 years as public friends in their Palm Beach-and-Manhattan social circle, attending 'lavish dinners with boldface names at Mr Epstein's mansion on the Upper East Side and raucous parties with cheerleaders and models at Mr Trump's private club.' Court records show Trump flew on Epstein's private Boeing 727 at least seven times over four years in the 1990s, making trips between Palm Beach and Teterboro, New Jersey. Trump publicly praised their friendship in 2002, telling New York magazine: 'I've known Jeff for 15 years. Terrific guy. He's a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side.' Prince Andrew, Virginia Giuffre and Ghislaine Maxwell pose for a photo at an undisclosed location in this undated image released on August 9, 2021 by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. — AFP pic Multiple women who say they were victimised by Epstein described encounters with Trump during this period, including Virginia Giuffre, who was recruited into Epstein's world while working as a spa attendant at Mar-a-Lago, and Stacey Williams, who alleges Trump groped her when Epstein brought her to Trump Tower. The friendship ruptured around 2004 over a real estate bidding war for a US$41.35 million Palm Beach mansion, with Trump later claiming he also banned Epstein from Mar-a-Lago for acting 'inappropriately to the daughter of a member.' After Epstein's 2019 arrest on sex trafficking charges, Trump immediately distanced himself, telling reporters: 'I had a falling out with him a long time ago. I don't think I've spoken to him in 15 years. I wasn't a fan.' When asked if he suspected Epstein was molesting young women, Trump replied, 'No, I had no idea,' despite his earlier comment about Epstein liking women 'on the younger side.' Trump has repeatedly tried to deflect attention from his Epstein ties by targeting political opponents, telling Fox News in 2015 that Bill Clinton 'got a lot of problems coming up, in my opinion, with the famous island with Jeffrey Epstein.' Under pressure from supporters demanding the release of Epstein files, Trump this week ordered the Justice Department to seek unsealing of grand jury testimony, though the transcripts are unlikely to shed light on their personal relationship. Trump recently dismissed continued scrutiny of the Epstein case as a 'hoax' and expressed exasperation to reporters: 'Are you still talking about Jeffrey Epstein? This guy's been talked about for years.' A protester holds a sign outside the White House demanding the release to all files related to Jeffrey Epstein in Washington, DC, on July 18, 2025. — AFP pic


Free Malaysia Today
8 hours ago
- Free Malaysia Today
No info on Jho Low being in Shanghai, says PM
Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said the government has yet to receive any information about Low Taek Jho being in Shanghai, China, and holding a fake Australian passport. (Johnshen Lee pic) GEORGE TOWN : Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said today he has no information on a claim that fugitive financier Low Taek Jho, or Jho Low, is living in Shanghai, China. He said the home ministry would need to check on the claim about Low's whereabouts. 'I have no information. We haven't received any information on this,' he said briefly to reporters after the groundbreaking ceremony of Kompleks Madani at Teluk Kumbar. Late yesterday, investigative journalists Bradley Hope and Tom Wright said Low, the alleged mastermind in the 1MDB scandal, is believed to be residing in a high-end neighbourhood in Shanghai and holding a fake Australian passport. In a YouTube livestream, they said they had gathered evidence from various sources and newly uncovered documents which showed that Low is living in a mansion in Green Hills, an 'ultra high-end neighbourhood' in Shanghai. They said Low was using a fake Australian passport with the Greek name Constantinos Achilles Veis to hide his identity. Hope and Wright also claimed that Low was now working as a 'behind-the-scenes strategist for the Chinese government'. His role allegedly includes helping sanctioned companies from China 'navigate difficulties around the world'. The duo are former Wall Street Journal journalists who broke many of the key early 1MDB stories and co-wrote the book 'Billion Dollar Whale' about the scandal. Low, who has been charged in Malaysia and the US over allegations that he orchestrated the theft of US$4.5 billion from 1MDB, was previously said to be in Macau, although Beijing has denied protecting the fugitive financier.