
Judge says Trump administration can't use travel ban to keep 80 refugees out of the US
In a decision late Monday, U.S. District Judge Jamal Whitehead in Seattle said President Donald Trump's June order banning the entry of people from 12 countries 'expressly states' that it does not limit the ability of people to seek refugee status.
'In other words, by its plain terms, the Proclamation excludes refugees from its scope,' the judge wrote.
Barring refugees from entering the U.S. would limit their ability to seek refugee status and therefore run counter to the Republican president's order, the judge said.
He ordered the administration to immediately resume processing 80 'presumptively protected refugees' that were rejected based on the travel ban.
The State Department did not immediately have comment Tuesday.
Whitehead also set out a framework for the government to vet refugees from the countries covered by the travel ban and other countries who were denied entry when the president suspended the nation's refugee admissions program within hours of taking office on Jan. 20.
The decision left thousands of refugees who had already gone through a sometimes years-long vetting process to start new lives in America stranded at various locations around the world, including relatives of active-duty U.S. military personnel and more than 1,600 Afghans who assisted America's war efforts.
Some individual refugees sued, along with refugee aid organizations who said the administration froze their funding. They later asked the judge to make the case a class-action lawsuit so that the rulings could apply to other refugees facing similar circumstances.
In May, Whitehead said the suspension likely amounted to a nullification of congressional will, since Congress created and funded the refugee admissions program. He issued a preliminary injunction in February barring the federal government from suspending refugee processing and refugee aid funding.
But the 9th U.S. Circuit put most of that decision on hold in March, finding the administration was likely to win the case because the president has broad authority to determine who is allowed to enter the country.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Canada News.Net
4 hours ago
- Canada News.Net
Trump touts Coke cane sugar move amid food policy push
WASHINGTON, D.C.: President Donald Trump announced that Coca-Cola has agreed to begin using real cane sugar in its U.S. beverages following his conversations with company leadership. "I have been speaking to Coca-Cola about using REAL Cane Sugar in Coke in the United States, and they have agreed to do so," Trump posted on Truth Social. "I'd like to thank all of those in authority at Coca-Cola." Coca-Cola currently uses high-fructose corn syrup in most of its U.S. drinks, while it relies on cane sugar in some overseas markets. A company spokesperson said Coca-Cola would share more details on new product offerings soon and welcomed the president's support. The shift aligns with the Trump administration's Make America Healthy Again (MAHA) initiative, a health policy push spearheaded by Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. The initiative has urged food companies to revise product formulations, including removing artificial dyes and cutting added sugars. Kennedy has also been critical of excessive sugar consumption in American diets and previewed upcoming federal dietary guidelines that encourage eating "whole food." A May report by the MAHA Commission linked high consumption of high-fructose corn syrup to childhood obesity and other chronic health conditions. Still, many medical experts say the health impact of cane sugar and corn syrup is broadly similar, as both are forms of added sugar. The proposed change drew pushback from corn producers, particularly in the Midwest, where corn syrup production is concentrated. "Replacing high fructose corn syrup with cane sugar would cost thousands of American food manufacturing jobs, depress farm income, and boost imports of foreign sugar, all with no nutritional benefit," said John Bode, president of the Corn Refiners Association. Trump's home state of Florida is the top sugarcane producer in the U.S. As part of broader food policy changes, the Trump administration has also allowed some states to remove soda from SNAP benefits, putting added pressure on beverage companies like Coca-Cola and PepsiCo.


CTV News
5 hours ago
- CTV News
Trump 'affected' by backlash over delay in releasing Epstein files
Trump 'affected' by backlash over delay in releasing Epstein files Ex-WH official Larry Haas on Trump's Epstein files move, MAGA base impact, backlash, and possible WSJ lawsuit.


Winnipeg Free Press
7 hours ago
- Winnipeg Free Press
Execution date set for man who abducted woman from a Florida insurance office and killed her
A man who abducted a woman from a Florida insurance office and killed her is scheduled for execution in Florida under a death warrant signed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis. Kayle Bates is set to die Aug. 19 in the 10th execution scheduled for this year. DeSantis signed the warrant Friday, just three days after the state executed Michael Bell for fatally shooting two people outside a Florida bar in 1993 as part of an attempted revenge killing. Bell was the 26th person to die by court-ordered execution so far this year in the U.S., exceeding the 25 executions carried out last year. It is the highest total since 2015, when 28 people were put to death. Bates, now 67, was convicted of first-degree murder, kidnapping, armed robbery and attempted sexual battery in the June 14, 1982, Bay County killing of Janet White. Bates abducted White from the State Farm insurance office where she worked, took her into some woods behind the building, attempted to rape her, stabbed her to death, and tore a diamond ring from one of her fingers, according to a letter from Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier summarizing the history of the case. Bates' attorney, James Driscoll Jr., said in a phone call Saturday that he would be filing further appeals in the case. 'We believe his execution would violate the U.S. constitution,' he said.