logo
Israel launched airstrikes targeting Yemen's Houthi rebels, who responded with missile fire

Israel launched airstrikes targeting Yemen's Houthi rebels, who responded with missile fire

LeMonde11 hours ago
Protesters, predominantly Houthi supporters, demonstrate in solidarity with Palestinians, in Sanaa, Yemen June 27, 2025. KHALED ABDULLAH / REUTERS
Israel's military launched airstrikes early Monday, July 7, targeting ports and facilities held by Yemen's Houthi rebels, with the rebels responding with missile fire targeting Israel.
The airstrikes came after an attack Sunday targeting a Liberian-flagged ship in the Red Sea that caught fire and took on water, later forcing its crew to abandon the vessel. Suspicion for the attack on the Greek-owned bulk carrier Magic Seas immediately fell on the Houthis, particularly as a security firm said it appeared bomb-carrying drone boats hit the ship after it was targeted by small arms and rocket-propelled grenades. The rebels' media reported on the attack but did not claim it. It can take them hours or even days before they acknowledge an assault.
A renewed Houthi campaign against shipping could again draw in US and Western forces to the area, particularly after President Donald Trump targeted the rebels in a major airstrike campaign .
The ship attack comes at a sensitive moment in the Middle East, as a possible ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war hangs in the balance and as Iran weighs whether to restart negotiations over its nuclear program following American airstrikes targeting its most-sensitive atomic sites amid an Israeli war against the Islamic Republic. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also was traveling to Washington to meet with Trump. Israeli strikes target Houthi-held ports
The Israeli military said it struck Houthi-held ports at Hodeida, Ras Isa and Salif, as well as the Ras Kanatib power plant. "These ports are used by the Houthi terrorist regime to transfer weapons from the Iranian regime, which are employed to carry out terrorist operations against the state of Israel and its allies," the Israeli military said.
The Israeli military also said it struck the Galaxy Leader, a vehicle-carrying vessel that the Houthis seized back in November 2023 when they began their attacks in the Red Sea corridor over the Israel-Hamas war. "Houthi forces installed a radar system on the ship and have been using it to track vessels in the international maritime arena to facilitate further terrorist activities," the Israeli military said.
The Bahamas-flagged Galaxy Leader was affiliated with an Israeli billionaire. It said no Israelis were on board. The ship had been operated by a Japanese firm NYK Line. The Houthis acknowledged the strikes, but offered no damage assessment from the attack. Their military spokesman, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, claimed its air defense forces "effectively confronted" the Israelis without offering evidence. The Houthis then responded with an apparent missile attack on Israel. The Israeli military said it attempted to intercept the missile, but it appeared to make impact, though there were no immediate reports of injuries from the attack. Ship attack forces crew to abandon vessel
Moammar al-Eryani, the information minister for Yemen's exiled government opposing the Houthis, identified the vessel attacked as the Magic Seas and blamed the rebels for the attack. "The attack also proves once again that the Houthis are merely a front for an Iranian scheme using Yemen as a platform to undermine regional and global stability, at a time when Tehran continues to arm the militia and provide it with military technology, including missiles, aircraft, drones and sea mines," al-Eryani wrote on the social platform X.
Le Monde with AP Reuse this content
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Gaza civil defence says 12 killed by Israeli forces
Gaza civil defence says 12 killed by Israeli forces

France 24

time3 hours ago

  • France 24

Gaza civil defence says 12 killed by Israeli forces

Israel has recently expanded its military operations in the Gaza Strip, where the war has created dire humanitarian conditions for the Palestinian territory's population of more than two million. Civil defence spokesman Mahmud Bassal told AFP that six people were killed and 15 injured in an Israeli air strike that hit the Al-Rimal clinic, "which houses hundreds of displaced people, in the Al-Rimal neighborhood west of Gaza City." AFP footage showed Palestinians, including groups of young children, combing through the bombed-out interior of the clinic, where mattresses lay alongside wood, metal and concrete broken apart in the blast. "We were surprised by missiles and explosions inside the building," eyewitness Salman Qudum told AFP. "We did not know where to go because of the dust and destruction." In the south of the territory, Bassal said two people were killed and 20 others injured by Israeli forces' gunfire while waiting for aid near a distribution site run by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF). A US- and Israel-backed group, the GHF took the lead in food distribution in the territory in late May, but its operations have had a chaotic rollout with repeated reports of aid seekers killed near its facilities. Hundreds reported killed The UN human rights office said last week that more than 500 people have been killed waiting to access food from GHF distribution points. The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza on Sunday placed that toll higher, at 751 killed. In Khan Yunis in the south, Bassal reported two people killed in an air strike on a house and another killed by Israeli gunfire. An air strike on a house in Gaza City killed one and injured several others, he added. The Israeli military did not immediately respond to an AFP request for comment. In a separate statement, it said it had struck "dozens of terrorists, weapons depots, observation posts, military buildings, and other terror infrastructures" over the past 24 hours. Media restrictions in Gaza and difficulties in accessing many areas mean AFP is unable to independently verify the tolls and details provided by the civil defence agency. Hamas's October 7, 2023 attack on Israel which triggered the war resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli official figures. Out of 251 hostages seized during the attack, 49 are still held in Gaza, including 27 the Israeli military says are dead. Israel's retaliatory campaign has killed more than 57,418 people in Gaza, also mostly civilians, according to the Hamas-run territory's health ministry. The United Nations considers its figures reliable.

'I'm not a lackey allowing Israel to continue in Gaza with impunity,' Malaysian PM says
'I'm not a lackey allowing Israel to continue in Gaza with impunity,' Malaysian PM says

France 24

time4 hours ago

  • France 24

'I'm not a lackey allowing Israel to continue in Gaza with impunity,' Malaysian PM says

17:05 Issued on: 17:05 min In an interview with FRANCE 24, Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim defended his contact with Hamas's leadership, saying he urged Hamas towards ceasefire talks with the Qataris, Egyptians and Americans. Anwar said he was "not a lackey of some other countries to condemn them and then silent on Israel and allowing Israel to continue with impunity." He also criticised Western double standards over the Israeli-Palestinian conflict more broadly and rejected claims that the crisis in Gaza started on October 7, 2023. Asked about the war in Ukraine, the Malaysian premier said he urged Russian President Vladimir Putin to "return to negotiations" and "as a friend", to "seek some sort of an amicable, peaceful resolution to the conflict". Anwar expressed confidence that both US President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping"would want to avoid war" over Taiwan. The Malaysian leader also defended meeting Myanmar 's junta leader Min Aung Hlaing back in April, saying the meeting secured a month-long ceasefire and "humanitarian assistance" with "no discrimination".

Poland reinstates border controls with Germany, Lithuania amid migration fears
Poland reinstates border controls with Germany, Lithuania amid migration fears

France 24

time5 hours ago

  • France 24

Poland reinstates border controls with Germany, Lithuania amid migration fears

04:49 07/07/2025 Netanyahu heads to Washington but will 'victory lap' be overshadowed by Gaza? 07/07/2025 Texas flood death toll mounts as questions asked over warning system 07/07/2025 'Netanyahu wants to perpetuate status quo: No agreement, no political framework, no Gaza withdrawal' Middle East 06/07/2025 Oasis: What's the story? "A man with a fork in a world of soup" UK 06/07/2025 San Fermin bull-running festival kicks off in Spain Europe 06/07/2025 Brics countries meet in Brazil and focus to moderate agenda 06/07/2025 Israel and Hamas delegations resume truce talks over Gaza in Doha Middle East 06/07/2025 Africa Fashion Up 2025: Hawi Sisay Midekssa shares her creativity and expertese Africa 06/07/2025 Texas: Rescuers search for missing while death toll rises to 50

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store