
Friends 'heartbroken' after scientist Fortune Gomo killed in Dundee
A 20-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident which happened on the city's South Street at about 16:25.
Angela Machonesa wrote on Facebook that she had been at school and university with Dr Gomo in Zimbabwe, and that news of her death had left her devastated. She said: "Her brilliance in the classroom was only matched by her emotional intelligence. She was the kind of person you'd go to when you needed clarity, not just of mind, but of heart."We are heartbroken. We are angry. We are disoriented. But we are also united in one voice: Fortune Gomo mattered. Her life mattered. Her legacy must never be forgotten."Collections have been started in Dundee to raise money for Dr Gomo's family and many floral tributes have been left at the scene. A message attached to one of the said: "We're utterly shocked that this has happened in our community. May the angels watch over you."
Respected scientist
Dr Gomo had spent several years in water-related research after completing her doctorate in geography and environmental science at University of Dundee.She started working full-time for Scottish Water six months ago as a senior resource planner. Prof Simon Parsons, director of environment planning at Scottish Water, offered the company's deepest sympathies to her family and friends. He said: "Fortune was an exceptional scientist and a senior service planner in our Water Resources Planning section based in Dundee where, having joined us in February, she had already become a highly valued and respected member of our team."
Police have said Dr Gomo's family are being supported by specialist officers. Det Supt Peter Sharp, leading the investigation, said inquries were continuing but there was no wider risk to the public. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact Police Scotland.The 20-year-old man who has been arrested was due to appear at Dundee Sheriff Court later on Monday.

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Daily Mail
2 hours ago
- Daily Mail
New anguish for Idaho victim Kaylee Goncalves' family that's left her dad 'looking as bad as the prosecutor'
The grieving family of an Idaho murder victim is trying to return more than $85,000 of trial travel donations after killer Bryan Kohberger entered a plea deal many deemed unjust. Kaylee Goncalves ' father wants to give back every penny raised for his family - saying he would never cheat generous donors as Latah County prosecutors cheated his family out of a trial. The heartbroken father, Steve Goncalves, told TMZ people have urged him to keep the money because they are also frustrated Kohberger entered a merciful plea deal. But Steve confirmed to the outlet he will not 'bait and switch these beautiful people like [lead prosecutor] Bill Thompson did to our family.' The fundraiser, started in September 2024, was created for the Goncalves family to be able to attend Kohberger's trial. 'We are looking to find an Airbnb or a house for rent that will house all 10 Goncalves family members as well as their small pets for at least those three months,' the page reads. The fundraiser was closed before the quadruple-murder entered a plea deal on Wednesday. This means the family has to independently return the money and cannot do so through GoFundMe. As per the agreement Kohberger made with prosecutors, he pleaded guilty to brutally stabbing University of Idaho students Kaylee, 21, Xana Kernodle, 20, Maddie Mogen, 21, and Ethan Chapin, 20 inside their off-campus residence. In exchange for his admission, the 30-year-old was spared the death penalty and will likely spend the rest of his life in prison. The deal has sparked outrage from the young victims' families, who do not believe this was an adequate for the extent of his heinous crimes. 'He deserved life on death row,' Kaylee's mom, Kristi Goncalves, wrote ahead of his sentencing, which is set for later this month. 'People say that the Goncalves don't want justice, they want vengeance.' She added: '[Kohberger] did not show Kaylee ANY tell us we should be happy with life in prison without parole as he will never get out (how is that not a win they ask) well the death penalty also means life on death row. 'We knew it would be decades before he ever would face the firing squad. We knew that his execution was not going to happen anytime soon, BUT his life on DEATH ROW while serving his time would have been much worse than serving his time as life in prison.' The Goncalves, who have been particularly vocal about their dissatisfaction with Kohberger's legal fate, have even called upon the public to hold Judge Steven Hippler responsible for the ruling. Hippler, the judge who made the controversial call, has been slammed with angry calls and voicemails ever since. Angry observers also lashed out at the Latah County Prosecuting Attorney's office, leaving one-star reviews in protest of the deal. 'Horrible Horrible people work here!! They all need to be fired for what they did, no justice for any of the 4 college students,' one reviewer wrote. 'What part about Bryan Kohberger needs to die do you not understand?' another fumed. 'I had a traffic ticket and the prosecutor went after me harder than you went after Kohberger,' a third person said. Kohberger will be sentenced for the November 13, 2022 murders on July 23 at Ada County Court.


Daily Mail
2 hours ago
- Daily Mail
Man, 20, is charged with murder as tributes are paid to 'rising star' scientist
A man yesterday appeared in court accused of the murder of a scientist who was found injured on a city street. Kyler Rattray appeared in private at Dundee Sheriff Court on a single murder charge. The 20-year-old, from Dundee, made no plea and was remanded in custody. He is set to appear in court again within eight days. It comes after Dr Fortune Gomo, 39, was found on Dundee's South Street on Saturday afternoon. Emergency crews arrived at around 4.25pm but the scientist, originally from Zimbabwe, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her family yesterday spoke of their shock at the death of Dr Gomo, who had graduated with a PhD from Dundee University and recently started working for Scottish Water. Brother Regis Nyatsanza, speaking from Harare in Zimbabwe, said she would have soon turned 40 and they had been discussing how she might celebrate. She was the oldest of four siblings, he said, and described her as the 'deputy parent' of the family. Mr Nyatsanza told the BBC: 'Two weeks ago we were laughing about throwing her a big 40th birthday bash but she said she had achieved most of what she wanted. 'After all the struggle she had everything she wanted and so she was going to have a quiet celebration.' Dr Gomo, who is believed to have had a ten-year-old daughter, was an expert in water conservation and led efforts to improve water and food security in both Scotland and sub-Saharan Africa. She was hailed as a 'rising star' in her field. Scottish Water director of environment planning and assurance, Professor Simon Parsons, said: 'Fortune was an exceptional scientist and a senior service planner in our water resources planning section based in Dundee where, having joined us in February, she had already become a highly valued and respected member of our team.' Dundee local police commander Chief Superintendent Nicola Russell said yesterday: 'Our enquiries are continuing and we are confident that nobody else was involved and there is no wider threat to the public. 'I am also acutely aware of misinformation being shared on social media and would urge the public not to speculate on the circumstances or post anything which could compromise a future court case.' First Minister John Swinney said: 'I am desperately saddened by the news of the death of Dr Fortune Gomo and extend my sympathies to her family, friends and colleagues.'


Daily Mail
3 hours ago
- Daily Mail
Jailed, depraved dentist who bombarded teenager with vile sex messages
A dentist who bombarded a teenage girl with depraved sexual messages has been jailed for 20 months. Steven MacMillan, 53, contacted the 13-year-old from Newcastle on social media where he told her he was a dentist from Scotland. The pair began to chat and she told him her age before the conversation became highly sexualised. She sent him an image of herself before he began sending her a string of sickening voice notes. In one message he told her: 'When daddy asks you to do something you better do it or there will be trouble.' And in another message he added: 'Good girls do what they are told.' The disturbing messages, sent between February and March 2023, were discovered by the girl's mother who contacted an online paedophile vigilante group. They confronted him at his then home in Strathaven, Lanarkshire, and police were called in. MacMillan, now of Dalkeith, Midlothian, appeared at Hamilton Sheriff Court and admitted communicating indecently with the youngster who is now receiving counselling. Sheriff Colin Dunipace said there was no alternative to custody and placed MacMillan on the sex offenders' register for 10 years. Depute fiscal Scott O'Connor told the court: 'The complainer's mother confiscated her phone and observed numerous Snapchat notifications from various users and noted a user called Steve and enquired what she had been discussing. 'The complainer confirmed she had been involved in sexual communication and the mother opened the account and noted the voice notes on the device. 'She was concerned for the complainer and contacted an online child safety team who later attended the accused's home where police were also contacted and arrested the accused.' The court was played eight voice notes where MacMillan made vile sexual remarks towards the girl. Alan Gravelle, defending, said: 'Plainly the custodial threshold has been crossed standing the age of the victim and the graphic content of the communication. 'Many aspects of this case are difficult to rationalise and in many respects it remains inexplicable that he should fall into this two-week period of offending when he had the stability of lifestyle including marriage and children, a successful academic career that then turned into a successful professional career and the financial stability that comes with it.' Sheriff Dunipace told MacMillan: 'The content of the communication was graphic and disturbing and they could leave no-one who heard them in any doubt of your intention when engaging with this child and hearing those conversations was harrowing and chilling. 'This was not a one-off but a part of a premeditated and sustained course of conduct where you sought to deprive her of her innocence for your depraved gratification.' The sheriff said it was 'tragic' to see someone like MacMillan in the dock but added that he had a 'duty to protect' youngsters and jail was the only option to deter others from similar offending. MacMillan, who qualified in 1995, has been suspended from working in dentistry by regulators since March 2023 and will remain suspended until at least December 31 this year. But it is likely he will be struck off by the General Dental Council (GDC) after he admitted his sickening crimes.