logo
Indian Navy to participate in SIMBEX exercise in Singapore

Indian Navy to participate in SIMBEX exercise in Singapore

News1818 hours ago
Singapore, Jul 18 (PTI) The Indian Navy will participate in the 32nd edition of exercise SIMBEX as part of its engagement with the Singapore Navy. It is one of the longest uninterrupted maritime exercises for India, High Commissioner to Singapore Shilpak Ambule has said.
The Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX) is conducted annually by the Indian Navy and the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN). It will be held in Singapore later this month.
It was previously known as Exercise Lion King.
'The Indian Navy's engagement with the navies in the region, particularly Singapore, has been an upward trajectory, which, without doubt, has gained from a very well-founded construct established well over three decades ago, and has kept evolving in the past years," Ambule said while addressing over 200 guests on board INS Shakti, part of Eastern Fleet that is visiting Singapore from July 16-19, on Thursday.
On the Indian Navy's participation in exercises in the Southeast Asian region, he said, 'The growing intensity of these engagements conforms with India's Vision SAGAR and Act East policy, which are aligned to the edificial facet of collaboration, given the changing paradigms and challenges especially in the maritime realm." 'This, in the true sense, must also remind us of the essential need for cooperative engagement in this complex domain, which, being mutually inclusive, benefits all by enabling collective tackling of the myriad challenges with resolve, trust and a common understanding," he underlined.
This further underpins the need for collective action to preserve rules-based order in the global commons, he added.
'This, as a principle, India views to be critical to uphold safety and free flow of commerce on the high seas.
'Given the growing challenge of piracy and action by non-state actors, threats in the oceans continue to pose a serious hazard and mandate the need to hold firm our resolve, and challenge the forces that attempt to contest the normal," Ambule said.
In continuation of its resolve and outreach, the Indian Navy will host the International Fleet Review, Multinational Naval Exercise MILAN and the IONS conclave of chiefs at Visakhapatnam in February next year, he said.
This will be followed by the Goa Maritime Conclave 'to brainstorm the challenges we face, and strengthen Bridges of Friendship between maritime neighbours and the fraternity at large for joint collaboration", he said.
Ambule also talked about India's deep historic and cultural linkages with ASEAN countries which have strengthened in the recent past through vibrant economic engagements and prudent sagacity on the need for 'security and growth for all in the region".
He highlighted the success of the maiden ASEAN-India Maritime exercise held in 2023 and co-hosted by the RSN, saying that it holds testimony to the earnest efforts that promoted jointness and shared learning.
'Likewise, India's positive contribution to numerous ASEAN-led mechanisms, namely the ASEAN Regional Forum and ADMM Plus, as well as India's support for strengthening the East Asia Summit, have been acknowledged by the ASEAN member countries.
'As we work together closely, Singapore's efforts to strengthen India's connection with ASEAN only exemplify this mutual commitment in furtherance of India's Act East Policy," the envoy said.
He also noted that the Indian naval ships' visit is happening as India and Singapore celebrate the 60th anniversary of bilateral relations.
Ambule welcomed Rear Admiral Susheel Menon, Flag Officer Commanding Eastern Fleet, and the entire Indian Navy contingent comprising INS Delhi, Satpura, Shakti and Kiltan, all of which are on a goodwill visit to Singapore as part of their extended deployment.
He pointed out that the ships — Destroyer Delhi, Frigate Satpura, Corvette Kiltan, and vital fleet support ship Shakti — represent indigenously designed, tech-infused, frontline platforms of the Indian Navy, tailored to manage contemporary needs of extended operations in the high seas.
The fleet is to visit the Philippines and Vietnam before returning home to Visakhapatnam. PTI GS DIV DIV
(This story has not been edited by News18 staff and is published from a syndicated news agency feed - PTI) view comments
First Published:
July 18, 2025, 08:15 IST
News agency-feeds Indian Navy to participate in SIMBEX exercise in Singapore
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users' views, not News18's. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Delhi govt to prepare Power Master Plan to strengthen electricity infra
Delhi govt to prepare Power Master Plan to strengthen electricity infra

News18

timean hour ago

  • News18

Delhi govt to prepare Power Master Plan to strengthen electricity infra

New Delhi, Jul 18 (PTI) The Delhi government will soon prepare a comprehensive 'Power Master Plan' aimed at strengthening the capital's electricity infrastructure and ensuring uninterrupted supply amid rising demand, officials said on Friday. Delhi Power minister Ashish Sood chaired a high-level meeting to review the power augmentation roadmap of the national capital, particularly focusing on upcoming plans of Delhi Transco Limited (DTL) and the three private distribution companies — TPDDL, BRPL and BYPL — over the next three years. During the meeting, Sood directed the power secretary to begin work on drafting the 'Power Master Plan' for Delhi, which will serve as a blueprint for streamlining generation, transmission, and distribution across the city. DTL presented its capacity addition projections up to March 2029, including the commissioning of two new substations at Gopalpur and Tikri Khurd with a combined capacity of 4,000 MVA. Once implemented, the total transmission capacity in Delhi is expected to rise to 24,000 MVA, against an anticipated peak demand of around 11,000 MVA. The three discoms also submitted their respective augmentation plans till September 2026, which include setting up transformers of varying capacities across the capital. The estimated investment for this is pegged at Rs 1,937 crore. Sood stressed the need to expedite land acquisition for Distribution Transformers and directed the power secretary to convene meetings with MLAs, DDA, and MCD officials to resolve delays. He also sought accountability for delays in sub-station projects pending since 2022-23. PTI SLB HVA view comments First Published: July 18, 2025, 22:45 IST Disclaimer: Comments reflect users' views, not News18's. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

No mercy for people who spread the curse of drugs in Punjab: Bhagwant Mann
No mercy for people who spread the curse of drugs in Punjab: Bhagwant Mann

News18

time2 hours ago

  • News18

No mercy for people who spread the curse of drugs in Punjab: Bhagwant Mann

Agency: Malerkotla (PB), Jul 18 (PTI) Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Friday said that no mercy will be shown to people who had spread the curse of drugs in the state. Speaking after inaugurating new tehsil complexes at Ahmedgarh and Amargarh, he said that the 'Drug Jarnails who were once considered invincible have now been put behind the bars." The resounding success of the ongoing Yudh Nashian Virudh is a testimony that the people stand with the state government in its war against drugs, an official statement quoted Mann as saying. The chief minister claimed that the Congress and Akalis were divided houses as their leaders squabble for power. 'These power hungry politicians can't survive without it. They are getting restless as people have ousted them to opt the Aam Aadmi Party," he said. Mann said the state government will take several pro-people decisions in the coming days and ensure that youth become job-givers instead of job-seekers. He said Punjab is the sacred land of great Gurus, saints and seers who preached love, harmony and tolerance. However, some 'anti-Punjab forces" have been trying to destroy this fabric of unity by orchestrating sacrilegious acts against holy scriptures since 2016, Mann said, reiterating his government's resolve to ensure exemplary punishment for such culprits. He also highlighted the key public welfare initiatives of the state government, including the recent Mukh Mantri Sehat Yojana under which cashless medical treatment worth up to Rs 10 lakh will be extended to every family in Punjab. Mann said that Punjab has set a benchmark by providing government jobs to more than 55,000 youths in the last three years. 'The transparent recruitment has increased their faith in the state government. So the youths are shunning the idea of moving abroad and instead prepare for government jobs," he said. PTI SUN RUK RUK view comments First Published: July 18, 2025, 23:30 IST Disclaimer: Comments reflect users' views, not News18's. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

There should be no double standards: India on EU sanctions
There should be no double standards: India on EU sanctions

News18

time2 hours ago

  • News18

There should be no double standards: India on EU sanctions

New Delhi, Jul 18 (PTI) India does not subscribe to any unilateral sanction measures, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said in response to the European Union announcing fresh punitive measures on Russia, especially on its energy trade. The European Union (EU) has announced a new package of sanctions aimed at Russia over its war against Ukraine. It also named India's Vadinar Refinery in which Russian energy firm Rosneft has a major stake. MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said India does not subscribe to any unilateral sanction measures. The 18th package of sanctions included measures largely aimed at curbing the revenues of Russia's oil and energy sector such as an import ban on refined petroleum products made from Russian crude oil. The EU's foreign and security policy chief Kaja Kallas said on social media that the 27-member bloc had approved 'one of its strongest sanctions packages against Russia to date". The new sanctions include a lower oil price cap, the designation of the 'biggest Rosneft refinery in India", and measures aimed at 105 more shadow fleet ships. 'We have noted the latest sanctions announced by the European Union," Jaiswal said. He said India is a 'responsible" actor and remain fully committed to its legal obligations. 'The government of India considers the provision of energy security a responsibility of paramount importance to meet the basic needs of its citizens," he said. 'We would stress that there should be no double standards, especially when it comes to energy trade," he added. PTI MPB ZMN (This story has not been edited by News18 staff and is published from a syndicated news agency feed - PTI) view comments First Published: July 18, 2025, 22:15 IST Disclaimer: Comments reflect users' views, not News18's. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store