Multiple charges for man accused of damaging PAP campaign materials on GE2025 Polling Day
On July 4, Seng Guan Heng, 57, was also charged with two counts of using criminal force on another person.
SINGAPORE – A man who
allegedly damaged campaign materials belonging to PAP in Hougang Avenue 5 on Polling Day on May 3 has been charged with one count each of harassment, mischief and causing annoyance while drunk.
On July 4, Seng Guan Heng, 57, was also charged with two counts of using criminal force on another person.
According to court documents, the Singaporean was at an open space carpark near Block 328 at about 11.20pm on May 3 when he allegedly caused annoyance to another person by shouting while drunk.
He also allegedly damaged the poles of two of PAP's flags and five of its posters worth around $200 in total.
Minutes later, Seng allegedly used his hands to push two men, both party volunteers, in the chest.
He was also said to have made an obscene gesture and hurled vulgarities at a group of PAP volunteers.
In court, Seng, who was unrepresented, said that he intends to plead guilty.
Top stories
Swipe. Select. Stay informed.
Singapore Seller's stamp duty rates for private homes raised; holding period increased from 3 years to 4
Asia Japan urges evacuation of small island as 1,000 quakes hit region
World Trump's sweeping tax-cut and spending Bill wins congressional approval
World Trump eyes simple tariff rates over complex talks, says letters will start going out on July 4
Sport A true fans' player – Liverpool supporters in Singapore pay tribute to late Diogo Jota
Singapore Jail for man who recruited 2 Japanese women for prostitution at MBS
Business More Singapore residents met CPF Required Retirement Sum when they turned 55 in 2024
He added that he plans to travel to Indonesia and Vietnam for work, but did not disclose details about his occupation.
District Judge Wong Li Tein told him that he has to make an online application for approval to travel.
Seng then told the court that he intends to seek legal advice and his case has been adjourned to Aug 1.
The area where the incident allegedly took place falls under Hougang SMC, where lawyer Marshall Lim represented the ruling party against the WP candidate Dennis Tan, who is also a lawyer.
Mr Tan secured a second consecutive term in Parliament after winning
more than 60 per cent of the vote during the general election.
Mr Lim arrived late at Bedok Stadium on the night of May 3, where PAP supporters had gathered to await the election results.
He said then that he had been held back by some acts of 'vandalism' at the PAP's branch in Hougang.
He stayed behind to make sure that his volunteers were well taken care of. No injuries were reported at the time.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles

Straits Times
19 minutes ago
- Straits Times
Asean needs ‘bolder reforms' to attract investments in a more fragmented global economy: PM Wong
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox Prime Minister Lawrence Wong speaking in a video posted to his YouTube channel on July 5. SINGAPORE – Asean must become a more seamless and competitive single market, one that attracts businesses and investments looking for alternatives in a more fragmented global economy. To get there, bolder reforms are needed, said Prime Minister Lawrence Wong in a video message posted on YouTube on July 5, adding that the association's 10 nations may be limited in scale individually but together have considerable weight. Asean today has 700 million people and it forms the fifth largest economy in the world, and is projected to be the fourth largest by 2030. The next decade will be critical to unlock its full potential, said PM Wong, who has just finished his introductory visits to Asean's capitals, with the exception of Myanmar, which he said he hopes to visit 'when the situation is more conducive'. PM Wong said: 'Continued peace, stability and growth in Asean will transform our entire region – and this will translate to better jobs, opportunities and living standards for all our peoples.' The key to achieving this lies in closer integration amongst Asean economies. PM Wong noted that supply chains across the bloc already span multiple countries, leveraging their complementary strengths. Top stories Swipe. Select. Stay informed. Singapore CPF members can make housing, retirement and health insurance plans with new digital platform Singapore CPF's central philosophy of self-reliance remains as pertinent as ever: SM Lee Asia Dalai Lama hopes to live beyond 130 years, much longer than predicted Sport Liverpool will move on after Jota's tragic death, but he will never be forgotten Singapore Tan Cheng Bock, Hazel Poa step down from PSP leadership; party launches 'renewal plan' Singapore As her muscles weaken, 26-year-old leans on best friend for strength and support Life Japanese food in Singapore under $20: 5 hawker stalls serving restaurant-quality sashimi and donburi He gave the example of cotton from the Philippines. This could be spun in Thai factories, dyed and sewn in Vietnam and exported to the world. 'This is the kind of cooperation we must strengthen,' he said. To become a more seamless and competitive single market, Asean needs to reduce trade and investment barriers and make it easier for companies to operate across borders, PM Wong said. It also means negotiating a digital economy agreement across the bloc, and linking payment systems Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand have done, he added. The seven other countries in the bloc are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Philippines and Vietnam. Physical infrastructure including rail and power grid connections must also be enhanced and Asean must also deepen its partnership with the rest of the world, PM Wong said. It already has seven Free Trade Agreements with external partners, including the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) – the world's largest trading bloc, he noted. These existing agreements will be upgraded, and Asean is exploring new ones such as with the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and the European Union. These agreements open doors for businesses and make Asean more connected to global markets, he noted. PM Wong said Malaysia – this year's Asean chair – has been pushing for these reforms and Singapore fully supports these efforts. He added: 'The momentum will continue with the Philippines as chair next year, and when Singapore takes over as chair in 2027 – a milestone year marking ASEAN's 60th anniversary'. PM Wong was most recently in Cambodia where the two countries on July 2 announced they will deepen their collaboration in several areas, including renewable energy, high-quality carbon credits and trade in food products. He prioritised visits to Asean capitals because they are in Singapore's immediate neighbourhood, he said. 'We have close bilateral ties with all its members. And it is in our shared interest to have a strong and united Asean,' he said, adding that Singapore will work closely with these countries as well as others around the world, to keep Asean strong, effective, and relevant for the future. He encouraged all Singaporeans to be 'part of this journey' and to learn more about the region, understand their neighbours and build connections. 'Because Asean's future is our future – and everyone has a role to play,' he said. The world is going through profound changes and geopolitical tensions are rising. But this is not the first time the region has faced uncertainty, PM Wong noted. When the bloc was formed in 1967, the world was also in turmoil – right in the middle of the Cold War, a conflict between the United States and the USSR and their respective allies. PM Wong said: 'Our founding leaders knew we were better off facing challenges together rather than alone.' He quoted Mr S. Rajaratnam, Singapore's first Foreign Minister, who said 'if Asean does not hang together, we will hang separately'. He said: 'So we came together – respecting each other's sovereignty and focusing on mutually beneficial cooperation. 'That unity helped lay the foundations for peace and stability in our region.' The region has seen conflict before and was once an arena for proxy wars by major powers, PM Wong said. 'We do not want that to happen again. Neither can we afford to have disputes divide us,' he added. Instead, Asean must work together to preserve peace and stability and to keep the bloc open and inclusive – a region that is not dominated by any single power, but where all the major powers are engaged and invested, he said.

Straits Times
19 minutes ago
- Straits Times
California's biggest wildfire of the year spreads to 28,000 hectares
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox A firefighter works to tackle the Madre Fire near New Cuyama, California, on July 3. LOS ANGELES - A massive wildfire raging in California for the past three days has ravaged more than 28,330 hectacres, as hundreds of firefighters fought to bring it under control. The 'Madre Fire' broke out on July 2 in San Luis Obispo, a rural county in the heart of the US state. Around 200 people were ordered to evacuate, with dozens of buildings threatened by the flames. The fire has engulfed 28,700 hectares since July 2, and more than 600 personnel and 40 fire engines have been deployed to contain it, Cal Fire, the state's fire service, said in an update on July 4. It is the largest blaze so far this year in California, which was scarred by wildfires that destroyed swaths of Los Angeles at the start of the year. This summer is the first since President Donald Trump announced plans to gut federal agencies tasked with fighting climate disaster. On July 4, California Governor Gavin Newsom said 15 new fires had ignited on federal land in the past 24 hours, and called on the president to prioritize funding for firefighting resources. Top stories Swipe. Select. Stay informed. Singapore Asean needs 'bolder reforms' to attract investments in a more fragmented global economy: PM Wong Singapore CPF members can make housing, retirement and health insurance plans with new digital platform Singapore CPF's central philosophy of self-reliance remains as pertinent as ever: SM Lee Asia Dalai Lama hopes to live beyond 130 years, much longer than predicted Sport Liverpool will move on after Jota's tragic death, but he will never be forgotten Singapore Tan Cheng Bock, Hazel Poa step down from PSP leadership; party launches 'renewal plan' Singapore As her muscles weaken, 26-year-old leans on best friend for strength and support Life Japanese food in Singapore under $20: 5 hawker stalls serving restaurant-quality sashimi and donburi 'Trump needs to WAKE UP and start funding federal firefighters and land-management teams in these rural communities – instead of giving tax cuts to billionaires,' Mr Newsom, a Democrat, wrote on X. 'Trump's incompetence is endangering lives.' A separate statement from the governor's press office said July 4 that the Madre Fire 'remains in a very isolated location – away from homes'. It comes after several other blazes, raising fears of a difficult summer ahead for the state already traumatized by the wildfires that killed 30 people in January. Southern California had an unusually dry winter and spring, and vegetation is already parched, UCLA extreme climate events specialist Daniel Swain has said. Intense and widespread heat this summer, and dry brush 'will heavily factor into burning conditions later this season,' he added. Since returning to the White House in January, Mr Trump has ordered budget and personnel cuts at the Forest Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and FEMA, the federal agency that coordinates disaster response. On July 2, Mr Newsom accused the Republican president of not funding enough wildfire prevention projects. 'We need an equivalent commitment of resources – not rhetoric,' Mr Newsom told reporters, noting that more than half of the land in California is under federal jurisdiction. AFP

Straits Times
20 minutes ago
- Straits Times
Table tennis World Cup winner Hugo Calderano to miss Las Vegas event over visa issues
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox Brazil's Hugo Calderano reacts after a point in his loss to China's Wang Chuqin in the men's singles final at the World Table Tennis Championships in Doha on May 25, 2025. BERLIN – Brazilian Hugo Calderano, who won the gold medal in the 2025 table tennis World Cup, said he will miss the WTT US Smash event in Las Vegas this month following delays in getting a visa to the United States. Calderano, a 2025 world championships silver medallist who also holds a Portuguese passport, said he had been informed by the US authorities that he was no longer eligible for visa waiver for European Union countries, due to a trip to Cuba in 2023 to compete in international competitions and qualifiers for the Paris 2024 Olympics. The 29-year-old said he then tried to get an emergency visa but ran out of time with the event already under way on July 3. 'I followed the same protocol as all my previous trips to the United States using my Portuguese passport,' Calderano said in a statement on his website late on July 3. 'When I was informed of the situation, I mobilised my entire team to obtain an emergency visa, but unfortunately, there was not enough time.' 'It is frustrating to be left out of one of the most important competitions of the season for reasons beyond my control, especially coming off such positive results,' he added. The US Smash event is one of the highlights of the year for the WTT, a body created by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) to stage commercial competitions to broaden the appeal of the sport, with higher prize money. Top stories Swipe. Select. Stay informed. Singapore Asean needs 'bolder reforms' to attract investments in a more fragmented global economy: PM Wong Singapore CPF members can make housing, retirement and health insurance plans with new digital platform Singapore CPF's central philosophy of self-reliance remains as pertinent as ever: SM Lee Asia Dalai Lama hopes to live beyond 130 years, much longer than predicted Sport Liverpool will move on after Jota's tragic death, but he will never be forgotten Singapore Tan Cheng Bock, Hazel Poa step down from PSP leadership; party launches 'renewal plan' Singapore As her muscles weaken, 26-year-old leans on best friend for strength and support Life Japanese food in Singapore under $20: 5 hawker stalls serving restaurant-quality sashimi and donburi The US will also play host to the 2026 soccer World Cup, while Los Angeles will stage the 2028 Summer Olympics with athletes from more than 200 countries and territories set to take part. Reuters has contacted the US State Department for a comment. The ITTF could not immediately be reached for a comment. REUTERS