
Japan's Sega eyes return to 1990s gaming glory
This year all eyes have been on Nintendo, whose Switch 2 recently became the fastest-selling console in history.
But unlike its former arch-rival, Sega has not sold gaming hardware since its Dreamcast console was discontinued in 2001, instead focusing on making games for other platforms.
Now, as record tourism to Japan helps boost global appetite for the country's pop culture, the company sees a chance to reinvent itself – including through nostalgic game remakes and movie adaptations like the hit Sonic series.
Sega opens its first flagship merchandise store in Japan on Friday, having launched a similar shop in Shanghai in May.
"Opportunities are expanding," chief operating officer Shuji Utsumi told AFP. "We've been struggling... for a while, but now we are coming back."
The company aims "to expand our business globally rather than focusing on the Japanese market", he said.
Sega was a top industry player in the 1980s and 1990s, its name synonymous with noisy arcades, home consoles and game franchises, such as beat-em-up Streets of Rage and ninja series Shinobi.
But it struggled to keep up with intense competition, falling on hard times financially as multiplayer online titles from US publishers, such as World of Warcraft, took off in the 2000s.
Persona movie?
After Sega quit the hardware business, its game offerings "got a little stale", said David Cole of the US-based games market research firm DFC Intelligence.
But "the kids who grew up in the 1990s are now in their 30s, 40s, even older, and really like those franchises" – and are introducing them to their own children – he told AFP.
"It's untapped value" that Sega – just like its Japanese peers including Nintendo – is trying to capitalise on through new movies, stores and theme park rides, Cole added.
Last year, the film Sonic the Hedgehog 3 starring Jim Carrey as the villain zipped to the top of the North American box office in one of the best December openings in years.
It followed the first live-action Sonic movie in 2020, as Sega cashes in on a video-game movie craze that saw The Super Mario Bros. Movie, based on the Nintendo characters, become the second-highest grossing film of 2023.
Shinobi is also being turned into a film, while Sega's Yakuza game series has been adapted for television.
When asked if cult franchise Persona could be next, Sega's Utsumi said fans should "stay tuned".
"We are talking to a lot of interesting potential partners. So we are under some discussions, but I can't say too much about it," he said.
Super game
Sega bought Finland's Rovio, creator of Angry Birds, in 2023, seeking to expand into the mobile gaming market.
"Gamers' behaviour has been changing" since Sega's original heyday, going beyond TV-connected consoles, Utsumi said.
But Cole said that in the long run Sega should concentrate on "high-end" gaming: larger-scale, more involved titles that encourage brand loyalty.
Sega is working on what it calls a "Super Game" with big-budget international ambition and a scope that is "not only just a game – communication, social, maybe potentially AI", Utsumi said.
"The competition in the game market is very fierce," he cautioned.
"It's important to really have a fan base close to us. But at the same time, when we develop a great game, it takes time."
Sega's parent company Sega Sammy also makes arcade and gambling machines, including those used in Japanese "pachinko" parlours, whose numbers are in decline.
That makes Sega's entertainment business "really the growth opportunity for the company", Cole said.
Sega Sammy said in May its Sonic intellectual property "has contributed to an increase in both game and character licensing revenue".
Young tourists in Tokyo shopping near Sega's new store ahead of the opening seemed to confirm this.
"I've always liked Sega. I kind of grew up around their games," said 19-year-old American Danny Villasenor.
"They're pretty retro. But I think they've evolved with time pretty well."
William Harrington, 24, who lives in Los Angeles, said his father "put me on to a lot of the older games back in the day", and so to him, Sega "feels like childhood". – AFP

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Hype Malaysia
4 hours ago
- Hype Malaysia
Korean Band QWER To Bring 1st World Tour To Malaysia In January 2026
Get ready, because QWER (큐더블유이알) is coming to Malaysia! The Korean girl band recently announced their first world tour, and they're bringing their viral hits to Kuala Lumpur for the first time! The quartet recently released dates for their first world tour, 'ROCKATION', which will kickstart in Seoul in October 2025. The world tour includes dates in several cities across the world, including Brooklyn, Los Angeles, Macau, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. QWER's concert in KL takes place on 17th January 2026 (Saturday) at Zepp Kuala Lumpur. According to the official poster, more dates and cities will be announced soon. This upcoming concert marks QWER's first show in Malaysia since debuting in 2023. The quartet, composed of members Chodan, Magenta, Hana and Siyeon, were formed through 'The QWER Project' by Tamago Production. All members are popular internet personalities, and Siyeon was a former member of NMB48, a sister group of the Japanese girl group AKB48. QWER got their first big break with their hit song, 'T.B.H (고민중독)', which peaked at No.4 on major Korean music charts. Their track 'My Name Is Malguem (내이름 맑음)' would later peak at No.2 on the music charts. The band recently released their latest EP, 'In a Million Noises, I'll Be Your Harmony', with the title track 'Dear'. If you've been longing to hear the band play their hits live, here's what we know about their KL concert so far: QWER 'ROCKATION' In Kuala Lumpur Date: 17th January 2025 (Saturday) Time: TBA Venue: Zepp Kuala Lumpur Organiser: TBA Ticketing: TBA More information about the concert, including ticketing and seating plans, will be announced soon, so stay tuned to this space. Are you ready to rock out with QWER? Source: Twitter


Daily Express
8 hours ago
- Daily Express
Stephen Colbert's ‘The Late Show' to end in May 2026, CBS confirms
Published on: Friday, July 18, 2025 Published on: Fri, Jul 18, 2025 By: AFP Text Size: The timing raised eyebrows, coming days after Colbert criticized CBS parent company Paramount for settling a $16 million lawsuit with former President Donald Trump. Colbert called the settlement 'a big fat bribe.' - AFP NEW YORK: Stephen Colbert's long-running late-night show, 'The Late Show,' will end in May 2026, CBS and the host confirmed. The announcement, made during a live broadcast, was met with audience shock and disappointment. 'Next year will be our last season,' Colbert told viewers, adding, 'The network will be ending the show in May (2026).' CBS clarified the decision was financial, stating, 'purely a financial decision against a challenging backdrop in late night,' unrelated to performance or content. Advertisement The timing raised eyebrows, coming days after Colbert criticized CBS parent company Paramount for settling a $16 million lawsuit with former President Donald Trump. Colbert called the settlement 'a big fat bribe.' Political figures questioned the cancellation's motives. Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren posted on X, 'CBS canceled Colbert's show just THREE DAYS after Colbert called out CBS parent company Paramount for its $16M settlement with Trump -- a deal that looks like bribery.' CBS praised Colbert's legacy, saying, 'He and the broadcast will be remembered in the pantheon of greats that graced late night television.' * Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel and Telegram for breaking news alerts and key updates! * Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available. Stay up-to-date by following Daily Express's Telegram channel. Daily Express Malaysia


The Sun
8 hours ago
- The Sun
Stephen Colbert's ‘The Late Show' to end in May 2026, CBS confirms
NEW YORK: Stephen Colbert's long-running late-night show, 'The Late Show,' will end in May 2026, CBS and the host confirmed. The announcement, made during a live broadcast, was met with audience shock and disappointment. 'Next year will be our last season,' Colbert told viewers, adding, 'The network will be ending the show in May (2026).' CBS clarified the decision was financial, stating, 'purely a financial decision against a challenging backdrop in late night,' unrelated to performance or content. The timing raised eyebrows, coming days after Colbert criticized CBS parent company Paramount for settling a $16 million lawsuit with former President Donald Trump. Colbert called the settlement 'a big fat bribe.' Political figures questioned the cancellation's motives. Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren posted on X, 'CBS canceled Colbert's show just THREE DAYS after Colbert called out CBS parent company Paramount for its $16M settlement with Trump -- a deal that looks like bribery.' CBS praised Colbert's legacy, saying, 'He and the broadcast will be remembered in the pantheon of greats that graced late night television.' - AFP