
Teen tells court he ‘heard sound of wood smacking off pal after he saw hurling ace Niall Gilligan go to hit him'
At Ennis Circuit Court today, the teenager said that a 'horrible thing happened to my friend' when recalling the alleged assault of his then 12-year-old friend on October 5 2023 at the Jamaica Inn hostel in Sixmilebridge.
Mr Gilligan, 48, of Rossroe, Kilmurry, Sixmilebridge denies the assault causing harm with a stick of the boy at the Jamaica Inn hostel, Sixmilebridge on October 5 2023.
The two 12-year-old boys had been exploring the abandoned Jamaica Inn hostel after 5pm on October 5.
Mr Gilligan owned the Jamaica Inn hostel at the time and the jury has been told that in the days leading up to October 5, it had been broken into and vandalised.
Under cross examination via video link from a room at Ennis courthouse on Thursday afternoon, the now teenager said that in his interview with Gardai in November 2023 he said that he saw Niall Gilligan hit his friend.
Read more in News
At the trial on Thursday the teenager said that he didn't see Mr Gilligan hit his friend.
He said: 'I saw him go to hit him, I misphrased that. All I could hear was the sound of wood smacking off my friend.'
He said: 'I said I saw him go to hit him - I didn't see him hit him.'
The teenager said that his friend was 'tiny' at the time when he was attacked.
Most read in Irish News
The teenage witness told counsel for Mr Gilligan, Patrick Whyms BL, instructed by solicitor, Daragh Hassett, that as his friend slipped as they were running away from Mr Gilligan, 'I saw Niall coming at him with the stick about to swing at him'.
He said: 'We were both running away and he attacked my friend when we were both running in the opposite direction to him.'
The teenager disagreed with Mr Gilligan's version of events that the altercation with his friend took place inside the building.
In his November 2023 video evidence with a Garda specialist interviewer played earlier to the jury on Thursday the now teenager said his father later showed him a photo of Niall Gilligan later that evening on October 5 and the boy confirmed that the man who attacked his friend was the accused.
In the video interview carried out on November 11 2023, the witness said that as the two boys left the building and came around a corner, they saw 'a tall, kind of strong looking' man holding a stick and they both ran.
Asked how he felt by the specialist Garda interviewer, the boy said 'terrified' and added 'but I just got out of there as fast as I could, all I could think was 'get out of there' and I did'.
The boy described the man as 'fit looking like, gingerly brown kinda hair'.
He said: 'I seen him playing hurling when I was younger and he played for the Bridge and Clare.'
The boy told Gardai Mr Gilligan is an auctioneer in Sixmilebridge.
Asked about his friend's screaming, the boy said: 'I heard him shouting, like I heard him screaming like telling him to stop. My friend telling him to f*** off and to leave him alone, that was about it'.
The boy hid in a nearby industrial estate and he said that felt relatively safe 'but I was still very scared that somehow he could have seen me'.
A short time later, the boy said that he saw his friend come around the corner 'and he was limping like he was holding his arm, holding his hand, holding the wrist he broke and it was all swelling up'.
The boy said that his friend was 'looking in pain, he had lots of mud all over him'.
The boy told Gardai that his friend 'was very shaky, obviously he felt very, very scared and in a lot of pain'.
He said: 'I was just supporting him to walk up, just like holding him up…I put my arm around his back so I could support him so he could have one of his legs off the ground so it would be easier for him to walk."
The boy said that his friend "said 'it just hurts everywhere' is all he said'.
The boy said that his friend told him 'go home because if he sees you, he is going to get you as well'.
The jury also heard from witness for the State, Linda Quinn from Sixmilebridge who runs the local GAA club shop.
She said on her way into the club on the evening of October 5, she noticed a child near the gate and that something did not look right.
She told the court: 'I just said are you okay, he said no.'
She went on to say how the boy asked her if she thought his hand was broken. 'It was very swollen'.
He then showed her a 'big gash' on his leg and asked her opinion.
When Ms Quinn asked him what happened, he told her he had fallen off his bike.
He went on to ask her to look at his arm, where there was another deep gash.
Ms Quinn told him he might need to get stitches. At this, the child got upset and Ms Quinn offered to give him a lift home.
Shortly afterwards, they arrived at his house, and after speaking to the boy's aunt, Ms. Quinn returned to work.
The trial continues on Friday before a jury of seven men and five women.
1
Former Clare hurler Niall Gilligan at Ennis Circuit Court

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Irish Times
3 minutes ago
- Irish Times
Man who sent Springsteen concert videos has conviction for breaching order removed
A man who broke a safety order by sending a woman videos of a Bruce Springsteen concert has had his conviction removed on appeal. Judge Christopher Callan said that he was sure Springsteen 'would not be too happy' to see his music being used in this way and that the man's actions were not in line with the singer's message as a performing artist. The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty in the District Court to the breach of a safety order contrary to section 33 (1) of the Domestic Violence Act 2018. He received a one-month suspended sentence in March 2025 and later lodged an appeal against the severity of that term. READ MORE Gda Rachel O'Mahony told the District Court Appeals Court that on June 20th, 2024, the injured party reported to gardaí that the man had breached a safety order on three occasions. She said that on dates between February 2nd, 2024, and June 20th, 2024, the man sent the injured party text messages to her mobile phone. Gda O'Mahony said that these messages included videos taken at a Bruce Springsteen concert in Croke Park and a YouTube link. Gda O'Mahony said the woman said this communication put her in fear. She also presented a victim-impact statement to the judge that was not read aloud in court. Defence counsel for the man, Seosaimhín Ní Chathasaigh BL, said her client co-operated fully with the gardaí and did not dispute the charges. She said he has sincere remorse for the hurt caused by his actions and this is not a pattern of behaviour that will continue in the future. Ms Ní Chathasaigh confirmed to the judge that the safety order has already been extended to last until 2030 with consent from her client. She said her client is not seeking to avoid accountability but having a conviction would have life-altering effects in regards to his employment or possible travel. Judge Callan said the victim-impact statement was very clear about the extent of the fear that the injured party experienced. He said the videos were 'intending to give a certain message' to the injured party, which was explained in her victim-impact statement. Judge Callan decided to remove the man's criminal conviction on the condition he pays a donation of €1,000 to Women's Aid, noting the safety order remains in place until 2030.


Irish Times
2 hours ago
- Irish Times
Man arrested as herbal cannabis valued at more than €2m seized at Cork port
A man has been arrested after Revenue officers seized more than €2 million worth of herbal cannabis in Cork. The 107kg seizure was made on Sunday at the Port of Cork, with the assistance of detector dog Rua. The drugs were discovered in a trailer originating from Croatia, which had disembarked a vessel arriving from Zeebrugge in Belgium. Valued at €2.1 million, the haul was part of Revenue's ongoing operations targeting organised crime groups and the importation, sale and supply of illegal drugs. READ MORE A man in his 50s was arrested and is being held at a Garda station in in the Southern Region. Investigations are ongoing. If businesses or members of the public have any information regarding smuggling, they can contact Revenue in confidence on Confidential Phone Number 1800 295 295.


Sunday World
2 hours ago
- Sunday World
Former footballer Scott Capper jailed for wheelie on wrong side of road
Scott Capper's football career was ended by a serious leg injury in his teens, and he turned to drugs A talented former footballer jumped on a scrambler bike in front of a garda station, before driving off and doing wheelies on the wrong side of the road, a court heard. Scott Capper's football career was ended by a serious leg injury in his teens, and he turned to drugs. At one stage, Capper (31) was taking up to €500 worth of cocaine a day, a court previously heard. Judge David McHugh fined Capper €500, disqualified him from driving for five years and jailed him for five months. The defendant, with an address at Cappagh Green in Finglas, admitted uninsured and dangerous driving. Garda William Bowes told Blanchardstown District Court that he came out of Finglas garda station on April 21, 2024, and saw Capper climb onto a scrambler bike. Gda Bowes said Capper drove through a yield sign, and turned onto Barry Drive where he did a wheelie on the wrong side of the road. Gda Bowes said Capper was driving at high speed. On Barry Road, Gds Bowes said that Capper went through two roundabouts on the wrong side of the road, forcing other road users to get out of his way. The court heard that Capper has over 50 convictions, most recently in 2021 when he was jailed for two and a half years for stealing almost €50,000 in a cash box from a security worker. He also has previous convictions for uninsured and dangerous driving. Defence solicitor Simon Fleming said Capper grew up in the Finglas area and is one of seven children. Capper, who was not working, lived at home with his parents, Mr Fleming said. The court heard that Capper was in custody on the matters and Mr Fleming asked Judge McHugh to backdate the sentence to when his client first went into custody. Judge McHugh said he would backdate the sentence. A court previously heard that Capper was a promising young footballer but his career was ended by a ligament injury in his late teens and he started hanging around with the wrong people. Scott Capper was previously convicted for stealing €50,000 Today's News in 90 Seconds - July 28th