logo
UN concerned by Taliban's arrest of Afghan women for dress code violations

UN concerned by Taliban's arrest of Afghan women for dress code violations

Yahooa day ago
The United Nations has expressed concern about the Taliban's arrest of Afghan women and girls for their alleged failure to comply with dress code restrictions.
In May 2022, the Taliban government issued a decree calling for women to show only their eyes and recommending they wear a head-to-toe burqa.
The Taliban, which returned to power in 2021, has cracked down on the way women dress and behave in public, notably through morality laws forbidding them to show their faces outside the home.
The UN mission in Afghanistan said it was concerned by the arrest of 'numerous' women and girls in Kabul between July 16 and 19, who authorities claimed had not followed instructions on wearing the hijab, or the Islamic headscarf.
'These incidents serve to further isolate women and girls, contribute to a climate of fear, and erode public trust,' the mission added, without details including the number of arrests or the ages and where they have been held.
The UN mission urged the Taliban government to 'rescind policies and practices' that restrict women and girls' human rights and fundamental freedoms, particularly the ban on education beyond sixth grade.
A Taliban representative was not immediately available for comment.
In January 2024, the country's Vice and Virtue Ministry said it had arrested women in the Afghan capital for wearing 'bad hijab'.
A ministry spokesman, Abdul Ghafar Farooq, did not say how many women were arrested or what constituted bad hijab.
The UN mission said at the time it was looking into claims of ill treatment of the women and extortion in exchange for their release.
The Taliban took control of Afghanistan in August 2021 following the withdrawal of US and Nato forces.
Since then, the Taliban administration has sought international recognition while enforcing its interpretation of Islamic law.
In July, Russia became the only country to grant formal recognition.
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Ocean Mining Ban Isn't Necessarily Good
Ocean Mining Ban Isn't Necessarily Good

Bloomberg

time21 minutes ago

  • Bloomberg

Ocean Mining Ban Isn't Necessarily Good

Amid all the setbacks these days for environmental protection, the de-facto ban on deep-sea mining feels like a small, rare victory. The International Seabed Authority, the United Nations agency that governs mineral extraction from the ocean floor, has spent much of the past month arguing over rules that might finally allow the harvesting of metal. To those who want to prevent such exploitation, the wrangling is the point: The ongoing failure to agree on regulations, 43 years after the ISA was established, ensures that no such mining will take place.

Syrian Inquiry Says Military Leaders Did Not Order Sectarian Killings in March
Syrian Inquiry Says Military Leaders Did Not Order Sectarian Killings in March

New York Times

time21 minutes ago

  • New York Times

Syrian Inquiry Says Military Leaders Did Not Order Sectarian Killings in March

A Syrian commission of inquiry released its findings on Tuesday in the killings of more than 1,400 people in sectarian violence earlier this year, concluding that the bloodshed was 'not organized' and that the country's military leaders did not directly order the attacks. But some human rights experts called the fact-finding committee's failure to hold commanders accountable deeply problematic. The findings of the committee — established by President Ahmed al-Shara — were released more than four months after the March killings — and just days after a new eruption of sectarian violence in another part of Syria claimed more than 1,100 lives. Repeated waves of violence involving minority groups have raised serious questions about whether the former Islamist rebels who now lead the country can secure and stabilize all of Syria and protect its diverse ethnic and religious groups. Syria's new leadership has sought to reassure minorities that they are safe. But periodic eruptions of unrest have undermined those assurances and deepened mistrust of the central government in Damascus. The inquiry concluded that more than 1,426 people were killed over a few days in March in two coastal provinces, most of them civilians. That toll broadly aligned with those tallied by independent monitoring groups. An investigation by The New York Times found evidence that government soldiers had participated in at least some of the killings in Latakia and Tartus provinces in March. Syrian rights groups said armed groups nominally affiliated with the government were largely behind the killings of Alawites, the minority which the ousted dictator Bashar al-Assad's family belonged to. The committee's findings showed that after Assad loyalists launched the initial assault in early March, about 200,000 armed fighters from all across Syria moved into the coastal region, the committee's spokesman, Yasser Farhan, said at a news conference in the capital Damascus. Want all of The Times? Subscribe.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store