
US defense secretary personally halted weapons to Ukraine
Reports of a halt in US military aid to Ukraine emerged earlier this week. US news outlets claimed that the items affected included Patriot missile systems, artillery shells, GMLRS rockets, and other munitions. Washington's envoy to NATO, Matthew Whitaker, has since confirmed the move, attributing it to concerns that continued military assistance to Kiev could deplete key munitions needed for US forces.
However, NBC reported on Friday, citing three unnamed sources, that a review by senior military officers had found that American stockpiles are not yet beyond critical minimums. The outlet claimed that Hegseth nevertheless halted the shipments in a 'unilateral step,' marking the third time he has done so since taking office. The previous suspensions were reversed following pushback from Congress.
NBC further suggested that none of the suspensions were coordinated in advance with lawmakers or the administration. Rep. Adam Smith, the top Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee, told the outlet that the justification based on readiness concerns was 'disingenuous,' suggesting that the decision reflected a broader agenda within the White House to end US aid to Ukraine.
Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell has described the halt as part of a 'capability review,' stating on Wednesday that the US cannot 'give weapons to everybody all around the world.'
The White House has defended the pause, citing an ongoing Defense Department review. At the same time, US President Donald Trump also told reporters on Thursday that the US is still 'giving weapons' to Ukraine, but must also ensure its own military needs are met.
Military experts have noted in statements to the German tabloid Bild that if weapon shipments to Ukraine stop, Kiev could run out of key ammunition stocks by late summer. The halt could leave the Ukrainian military struggling to intercept Russian strike drones and make Kiev's US-made HIMARS multiple rocket launchers 'virtually useless.'
Moscow has welcomed the suspension of military aid to Kiev. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has suggested that the freeze could speed up the end of the conflict. 'The fewer missiles that arrive in Ukraine from abroad, the closer the special military operation is to ending,' Peskov said.
Russia has long condemned Western arms shipments to Ukraine, arguing they only prolong the conflict without changing its outcome and increase the risk of escalation.

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Russia Today
an hour ago
- Russia Today
Ex-Ukrainian defense minister's home raided in corruption probe
Ukrainian anti-corruption authorities have reportedly raided the home of former defense minister Aleksey Reznikov, according to several Ukrainian media outlets citing sources familiar with the matter. Officers from the National Anti-Corruption Bureau (NABU) seized an 'undeclared' smartphone and certain documents from Reznikov's apartment, according to reports by and ZN. The outlets did not specify whether the former minister was detained or questioned during the operation. NABU has yet to issue an official statement. Sources close to Reznikov confirmed that a raid had taken place but denied that any items were seized. The investigation is said to be connected to a major embezzlement case dating back to Reznikov's time as defense minister. In early April, NABU announced that it was investigating the misappropriation of more than 733 million hryvnas (approximately $17.6 million) earmarked for military food procurement. The suspects also allegedly attempted to embezzle an additional 788 million hryvnas (about $18.9 million) under the same scheme. Reznikov was not listed as a suspect at the time, NABU noted. However, media reports suggested that his potential involvement in the scheme remained under scrutiny. During Reznikov's tenure, the Defense Ministry was entangled in several corruption scandals. One involved the purchase of jackets that reportedly tripled in price between shipment and delivery. At various points, senior ministry officials were accused of buying food for troops at inflated prices and making payments to questionable firms for substandard goods or supplies that never arrived. A wave of media investigations in early 2023 exposed the alleged abuses, prompting a public outcry and ultimately leading to Reznikov's resignation in September of that year. Four months later, his successor, Rustem Umerov, stated that an internal ministry audit had uncovered approximately $262 million in losses related to theft. Umerov himself is also reportedly under investigation by anti-corruption authorities for alleged abuse of power in connection with defense procurement.


Russia Today
2 hours ago
- Russia Today
NATO member rules out sending troops to Ukraine
Bucharest will not deploy troops to Ukraine under any circumstances, Prime Minister Ilie Bolojan has said, although he indicated that the 'eastern flank' country will continue to gradually boost its military budget to meet NATO demands and align with the broader EU militarization agenda. A group of European NATO member states has for months been exploring the formation of a potential force for deployment to Ukraine, as part of a so-called 'coalition of the willing,' ostensibly in a post-conflict peacekeeping capacity. Russia has repeatedly warned it would treat any foreign forces fighting alongside Ukrainian troops as legitimate targets, saying such actions could escalate the conflict. Speaking during a live interview with broadcaster Antena 3 CNN on Thursday, Bolojan addressed a wave of disinformation suggesting that Romania might become militarily involved. 'We are not sending our young people or children to war,' he said, dismissing such claims as unfounded and emphasizing that the country's position remains unchanged. 'Romania, under no circumstances, is considering participating in the war – not before, not now.' However, Bolojan argued that as an 'eastern flank' country, Romania should 'gradually increase defense spending' instead of prioritizing investments in 'roads, hospitals, schools, and more,' in order to strengthen its military capabilities and fulfill NATO obligations. 'We can't afford to rely on the idea that others – including the US – will ensure our protection without us contributing,' he said. At a recent summit in The Hague, NATO member states committed to raising military spending to 5% of GDP by 2035, in response to what they described as the 'long-term threat posed by Russia to Euro-Atlantic security' – a claim Moscow has repeatedly rejected. Last month, the European Commission approved the potential use of approximately €335 billion in pandemic recovery funds for military-related projects. In May, it introduced a €150 billion debt facility to support so-called defense efforts. Moscow has criticized these steps as further evidence of the bloc's continued hostility. The Kremlin has condemned the EU's militarization drive and arms transfers to Kiev, describing the conflict as a NATO-led proxy war. President Vladimir Putin has dismissed Western concerns about Russian aggression as 'nonsense,' accusing NATO of using fear to justify ballooning military budgets and blaming the bloc's expansion and 'aggressive behavior' for fueling the crisis.


Russia Today
3 hours ago
- Russia Today
Civilians killed in strikes on Donetsk with US-made weapons (VIDEO)
The Ukrainian military struck the city of Donetsk with a US-made HIMARS multiple rocket launcher on Friday, killing at least four civilians and injuring four more, according to the head of the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), Denis Pushilin. The rockets were equipped with shrapnel munitions, he added. Two women and two men died in the strike, Pushilin said. Another woman was severely injured and three others sustained moderate injuries, he added. The victims were driving down a local road, RT's Viktor Miroshnik reported from the scene. RT also obtained footage showing the immediate aftermath of the strike. The video shows a road littered with debris and missile fragments, with several damaged buildings, fences and trees nearby. A passenger vehicle is seen on the side of the road, with its windshield visibly damaged by what appear to be several small fragments of the projectiles. The bodies of the victims are seen lying near the car. Kiev's forces have regularly launched attacks in Donbass and other Russian regions bordering Ukraine. On Monday, one person was killed and three more injured in a series of Ukrainian missile and drone attacks on the DPR. Monday's attack caused fires and significant damage to civilian infrastructure, including a market, the central department store, and a bank, according to the region's head. Last month, the Russian Foreign Ministry accused Kiev of deliberately committing atrocities against civilians in Donbass, including mass killings of the elderly and drone strikes on residential homes. 'It is a deliberate policy that has already been elevated to the level of state doctrine,' the ministry's spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said at the time. The DPR and its sister republic, the Lugansk People's Republic (LPR), declared independence following the Western-backed coup in Kiev in 2014. After years of refusal by Ukraine to implement the Minsk Agreements and Kiev's continued shelling of civilian areas in the breakaway regions, Russia launched its military operation on February 24, 2022. In autumn of 2022, the two republics, along with Zaporozhye and Kherson Regions, officially joined Russia following a series of referendums.