logo
Sabalenka avoids it being curtains against Mertens

Sabalenka avoids it being curtains against Mertens

The Advertiser11 hours ago
Aryna Sabalenka is loving each strident challenge as she moves ever closer to her maiden Wimbledon title, with the world No.1 and big tournament favourite coming through another bracing test on Centre Court to reach the quarter-finals.
After breaking local hearts by knocking out home favourite Emma Raducanu in a rare old battle in the previous round, the top seed again had an uncomfortable outing against her old doubles partner and friend Elise Mertens before prevailing 6-4 7-6 (7-4) on Sunday.
It meant she had booked a last-eight place without yet dropping a set, even though none of her matches so far have been straightforward affairs.
"Roland Garros was also quite challenging," conceded the Belarusian, who's kept up her remarkable run of reaching the quarters in her last 11 grand slams.
"I love these challenges. I think every time you go through these tough matches, you kind of bring your game to the next level, and it helps to improve your game as well.
"I feel like, with every match I'm playing here, I'm getting better and better mentally and also physically. So I love these tough challenges. I only hope to get better and better in each round."
Next up for Sabalenka, who missed last year's event with injury and the 2022 edition due to the ban on Russian and Belarusian players, will be Laura Siegemund, the 37-year-old German who had caused the shock of the third round with her victory over Australian Open champion Madison Keys.
Siegemund had only won two singles matches in her five previous Wimbledons but has now twice that many in this edition alone, as she made it through to the last eight with a 6-3 6-2 victory over Argentinian lucky loser Solana Sierra.
The German does not lack for self-confidence but even she's a little shocked at how far she's gone as she's become the oldest woman player to reach a maiden Wimbledon quarter-final.
"Of course I am surprised. If you would have told me I play quarter-finals here, I would have never believed it," she said.
"On the other hand, it's a very simple math always in tennis. You have an opponent, either you find good solutions and you execute well, you go forward, or you don't, and you don't go forward.
"As I said after big wins before, I have this game and this maybe boldness to take out big names. I've always had that, just maybe because I don't care who is on the other side. In a positive, respectful way, I don't care."
Another veteran, 34-year-old Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, reached her first Wimbledon quarter-final in nine years, defeating Briton Sonay Kartal 7-6 (7-3) 6-4.
Aryna Sabalenka is loving each strident challenge as she moves ever closer to her maiden Wimbledon title, with the world No.1 and big tournament favourite coming through another bracing test on Centre Court to reach the quarter-finals.
After breaking local hearts by knocking out home favourite Emma Raducanu in a rare old battle in the previous round, the top seed again had an uncomfortable outing against her old doubles partner and friend Elise Mertens before prevailing 6-4 7-6 (7-4) on Sunday.
It meant she had booked a last-eight place without yet dropping a set, even though none of her matches so far have been straightforward affairs.
"Roland Garros was also quite challenging," conceded the Belarusian, who's kept up her remarkable run of reaching the quarters in her last 11 grand slams.
"I love these challenges. I think every time you go through these tough matches, you kind of bring your game to the next level, and it helps to improve your game as well.
"I feel like, with every match I'm playing here, I'm getting better and better mentally and also physically. So I love these tough challenges. I only hope to get better and better in each round."
Next up for Sabalenka, who missed last year's event with injury and the 2022 edition due to the ban on Russian and Belarusian players, will be Laura Siegemund, the 37-year-old German who had caused the shock of the third round with her victory over Australian Open champion Madison Keys.
Siegemund had only won two singles matches in her five previous Wimbledons but has now twice that many in this edition alone, as she made it through to the last eight with a 6-3 6-2 victory over Argentinian lucky loser Solana Sierra.
The German does not lack for self-confidence but even she's a little shocked at how far she's gone as she's become the oldest woman player to reach a maiden Wimbledon quarter-final.
"Of course I am surprised. If you would have told me I play quarter-finals here, I would have never believed it," she said.
"On the other hand, it's a very simple math always in tennis. You have an opponent, either you find good solutions and you execute well, you go forward, or you don't, and you don't go forward.
"As I said after big wins before, I have this game and this maybe boldness to take out big names. I've always had that, just maybe because I don't care who is on the other side. In a positive, respectful way, I don't care."
Another veteran, 34-year-old Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, reached her first Wimbledon quarter-final in nine years, defeating Briton Sonay Kartal 7-6 (7-3) 6-4.
Aryna Sabalenka is loving each strident challenge as she moves ever closer to her maiden Wimbledon title, with the world No.1 and big tournament favourite coming through another bracing test on Centre Court to reach the quarter-finals.
After breaking local hearts by knocking out home favourite Emma Raducanu in a rare old battle in the previous round, the top seed again had an uncomfortable outing against her old doubles partner and friend Elise Mertens before prevailing 6-4 7-6 (7-4) on Sunday.
It meant she had booked a last-eight place without yet dropping a set, even though none of her matches so far have been straightforward affairs.
"Roland Garros was also quite challenging," conceded the Belarusian, who's kept up her remarkable run of reaching the quarters in her last 11 grand slams.
"I love these challenges. I think every time you go through these tough matches, you kind of bring your game to the next level, and it helps to improve your game as well.
"I feel like, with every match I'm playing here, I'm getting better and better mentally and also physically. So I love these tough challenges. I only hope to get better and better in each round."
Next up for Sabalenka, who missed last year's event with injury and the 2022 edition due to the ban on Russian and Belarusian players, will be Laura Siegemund, the 37-year-old German who had caused the shock of the third round with her victory over Australian Open champion Madison Keys.
Siegemund had only won two singles matches in her five previous Wimbledons but has now twice that many in this edition alone, as she made it through to the last eight with a 6-3 6-2 victory over Argentinian lucky loser Solana Sierra.
The German does not lack for self-confidence but even she's a little shocked at how far she's gone as she's become the oldest woman player to reach a maiden Wimbledon quarter-final.
"Of course I am surprised. If you would have told me I play quarter-finals here, I would have never believed it," she said.
"On the other hand, it's a very simple math always in tennis. You have an opponent, either you find good solutions and you execute well, you go forward, or you don't, and you don't go forward.
"As I said after big wins before, I have this game and this maybe boldness to take out big names. I've always had that, just maybe because I don't care who is on the other side. In a positive, respectful way, I don't care."
Another veteran, 34-year-old Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, reached her first Wimbledon quarter-final in nine years, defeating Briton Sonay Kartal 7-6 (7-3) 6-4.
Aryna Sabalenka is loving each strident challenge as she moves ever closer to her maiden Wimbledon title, with the world No.1 and big tournament favourite coming through another bracing test on Centre Court to reach the quarter-finals.
After breaking local hearts by knocking out home favourite Emma Raducanu in a rare old battle in the previous round, the top seed again had an uncomfortable outing against her old doubles partner and friend Elise Mertens before prevailing 6-4 7-6 (7-4) on Sunday.
It meant she had booked a last-eight place without yet dropping a set, even though none of her matches so far have been straightforward affairs.
"Roland Garros was also quite challenging," conceded the Belarusian, who's kept up her remarkable run of reaching the quarters in her last 11 grand slams.
"I love these challenges. I think every time you go through these tough matches, you kind of bring your game to the next level, and it helps to improve your game as well.
"I feel like, with every match I'm playing here, I'm getting better and better mentally and also physically. So I love these tough challenges. I only hope to get better and better in each round."
Next up for Sabalenka, who missed last year's event with injury and the 2022 edition due to the ban on Russian and Belarusian players, will be Laura Siegemund, the 37-year-old German who had caused the shock of the third round with her victory over Australian Open champion Madison Keys.
Siegemund had only won two singles matches in her five previous Wimbledons but has now twice that many in this edition alone, as she made it through to the last eight with a 6-3 6-2 victory over Argentinian lucky loser Solana Sierra.
The German does not lack for self-confidence but even she's a little shocked at how far she's gone as she's become the oldest woman player to reach a maiden Wimbledon quarter-final.
"Of course I am surprised. If you would have told me I play quarter-finals here, I would have never believed it," she said.
"On the other hand, it's a very simple math always in tennis. You have an opponent, either you find good solutions and you execute well, you go forward, or you don't, and you don't go forward.
"As I said after big wins before, I have this game and this maybe boldness to take out big names. I've always had that, just maybe because I don't care who is on the other side. In a positive, respectful way, I don't care."
Another veteran, 34-year-old Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, reached her first Wimbledon quarter-final in nine years, defeating Briton Sonay Kartal 7-6 (7-3) 6-4.
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Wimbledon: 16-year-old Cruz Hewitt makes debut to remember as father Lleyton Hewitt watches on
Wimbledon: 16-year-old Cruz Hewitt makes debut to remember as father Lleyton Hewitt watches on

West Australian

time2 hours ago

  • West Australian

Wimbledon: 16-year-old Cruz Hewitt makes debut to remember as father Lleyton Hewitt watches on

Australian tennis legend Lleyton Hewitt has watched from the stands as his 16-year-old son Cruz made a Wimbledon debut to remember. Following in his father's footsteps, but incredibly at a year younger than Lleyton, Hewitt took his highly anticipated first steps on the hallowed grass of The All England Club. And the 16-year-old showed he could be Australian men's tennis' next big thing, cruising past Russian Savva Rybkin, who has only been beaten eight times in his junior career. Hewitt claimed a convincing 6-1, 6-2 victory in the first round of the famed junior tournament, eliciting Lleyton's trademark fist pumps from the player's box. The youngster bears an uncanny resemblance to his father, especially in a back-to-front cap, moving around the court swiftly and utilising powerful groundstrokes. Lleyton featured in the junior draw at Wimbledon in 1998 at 17 years old before going on to win two Grand Slams, one on the famed grass in 2002, less than a year after his first at the 2001 US Open. Hewitt Snr remains the last Australian man to claim a Grand Slam title and is the current coach of Australia's Davis Cup team, which he represented when they won their last title in 2003. His son will next face Finnish 11th seed Oskari Paldanius on Tuesday.

Like father, like son! Hewitt Cruz-es to win Wimbledon debut
Like father, like son! Hewitt Cruz-es to win Wimbledon debut

Perth Now

time2 hours ago

  • Perth Now

Like father, like son! Hewitt Cruz-es to win Wimbledon debut

Australian tennis legend Lleyton Hewitt has watched from the stands as his 16-year-old son Cruz made a Wimbledon debut to remember. Following in his father's footsteps, but incredibly at a year younger than Lleyton, Hewitt took his highly anticipated first steps on the hallowed grass of The All England Club. And the 16-year-old showed he could be Australian men's tennis' next big thing, cruising past Russian Savva Rybkin, who has only been beaten eight times in his junior career. Hewitt claimed a convincing 6-1, 6-2 victory in the first round of the famed junior tournament, eliciting Lleyton's trademark fist pumps from the player's box. Cruz Hewitt of Australia celebrates a break point against Savva Rybkin. Credit: Dan Istitene / Getty Images The youngster bears an uncanny resemblance to his father, especially in a back-to-front cap, moving around the court swiftly and utilising powerful groundstrokes. Lleyton featured in the junior draw at Wimbledon in 1998 at 17 years old before going on to win two Grand Slams, one on the famed grass in 2002, less than a year after his first at the 2001 US Open. Cruz Hewitt of Australia plays a forehand against Savva Rybkin. Credit: Dan Istitene / Getty Images Hewitt Snr remains the last Australian man to claim a Grand Slam title and is the current coach of Australia's Davis Cup team, which he represented when they won their last title in 2003. His son will next face Finnish 11th seed Oskari Paldanius on Tuesday.

‘Get a job': Nick Kyrgios' ugly feud with American tennis journalist intensifies
‘Get a job': Nick Kyrgios' ugly feud with American tennis journalist intensifies

News.com.au

time4 hours ago

  • News.com.au

‘Get a job': Nick Kyrgios' ugly feud with American tennis journalist intensifies

Tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg has told Nick Kyrgios to 'get a job' as the tennis star continues to take pot shots at the American reporter. The Aussie may not be playing at Wimbledon this year and was not retained by the BBC as a commentator but that hasn't stopped him from making headlines. Watch the biggest Aussie sports & the best from overseas LIVE on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Get your first month for just $1. Limited time offer. Last week it was revealed that the former World No. 13 has partnered up with Rachel Starr and fellow adult actor Sophie Stonehouse for brand new OnlyFans content, a series titled Smash City. Although the name may hint at spicy content it is anything but, with the four-episode show for OnlyFans TV a pickleball-based competition that sees eight OnlyFans creators compete for $20,000. However, away from his new venture, Kyrgios continues to take swipes at Rothenburg, most recently appearing to make fun of the journalist's physique. It all began when the popular tennis fan page 'Tennis Centel' posted a picture of the American journalist captured from behind on Sunday captioned: 'Bro Ben Rothenberg is built like a groundhog LMAO.' As the post gained traction, Kyrgios stuck the boot in, retweeting the post and writing 'Tennis central' But tennis fans were not amused, quickly denouncing his behaviour. 'Bully and nothing else. Just sad I used to support you,' one person commented. 'Fat shaming? Classy as ever…,' another added. While others wrote 'I used to admire you' and 'Dude you're 30, grow up'. In response to Kygious, Rothenberg wrote on X: 'Bro you have tweeted about me four times already this month and it's only July 6th. Let's work on getting you a job again.' But the Aussie couldn't help but to clap back again writing: 'Awwww Benny I'm doing just fine. Someone's feelings are hurting …. Not so fun anymore is it?' It is just the latest chapter in a bubbling feud between the pair spanning close to five years but has heated up in the last two years. The American journalist has repeatedly called for Kyrgios to be pulled from the air, most recently for controversial tweets demeaning a WTA player. 'Honestly a bit surprised to see ESPN didn't yank Nick Kyrgios off air mid-#USOpen final, seeing his most recent disparaging tweet about a WTA player circulating,' Rothenberg wrote last year during the US Open. 'Given his history of demeaning women, women's tennis, and WTA players, it was already a dubious choice to have him.' While Kyrgios remains sidelined through a recurring wrist injury, the 30-year-old has been doing work for TalkSport and continuing his commentary career on his YouTube podcast 'Good Trouble with Nick Kyrgios'. He was, however, snubbed by the BBC for Wimbledon coverage this year, after being a shock inclusion in the commentary box at the All England Club last year. Responding to being overlooked he told The Guardian last month: 'I know I'm a great commentator. All I've done for 20 years is play, study and breathe this sport. 'I also think tennis needs commentators who say things that not everyone says. 'I understand they've got Chris Eubanks, but he hasn't beaten the greatest of all time multiple times. 'When someone's beaten Federer, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic and has incredible insights, it's very strange you wouldn't want that person adding knowledge to tennis fans'.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store