
Te Pūkenga loses over $80m in funding, 855 staff ahead of disestablishment
Mega-institute Te Pūkenga has lost over $80m in funding and one in 10 staff as the nation's largest vocational education provider prepares to be split into 10 polytechnics from the start of 2026, documents released under the Official Information Act show. The government is currently unwinding a 2020 merger of the nation's polytechnics into one entity, moving to a system of 'regional governance' in the hopes of making the sector more financially viable.
The documents, released by the Ministry of Education and Tertiary Education Commission to the Greens' vocational education spokesperson Francisco Hernandez and shared with The Spinoff, reveal that staffing numbers at Te Pūkenga dropped by 855 last year, from 10,480 in 2023 to 9,625 in 2024. This equates to about one in 10 roles being cut, including 540 staff at tertiary education institutes and 190 full-time roles (previous documents released by Te Pūkenga projected job losses to be over 150).
A separate document confirmed a drop of over $80m in funding for Te Pūkenga this year, from $949,682,296.25 in 2024 to $869,307,291.80 in 2025. This follows the institute making its first ever surplus last year to the tune of $16.6m, after spending $9.5m across its entire network on 288 redundancy payouts.
Hernandez said the 'lack of support and ad hoc planning' of the disestablishment of Te Pūkenga had seen the sector, its workers and learners be '[thrown] to the wolves'. 'The cuts to courses, in-person training and teaching staff necessary for the government's new model to add up are undermining vocational education for all learners,' Hernandez said.
On Monday, vocational education minister Penny Simmonds confirmed the next steps of the disestablishment of Te Pūkenga would be to break the institute into 10, including a 'federation' which will see The Open Polytechnic absorb Otago Polytechnic and the Universal College of Learning (UCOL) from January 1, 2026. The federation will share online resources, an academic board and other supports to smaller polytechnics which do not have the capacity or financial ability to provide services, at a cost.
The 10 polytechnics also include Ara Institute of Canterbury, Eastern Institute of Technology, Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology, Southern Institute of Technology, Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, Waikato Institute of Technology, and a single entity combining Unitec Institute of Technology with Manukau Institute of Technology. Meanwhile, North Tech, Taranaki's Western Institute of Technology, Tai Poutini Polytechnic, and Whitireia Community Polytechnic and Wellington Institute of Technology remain within Te Pūkenga. Simmonds said a decision on whether these institutes will be closed or merged would be decided in the first half of 2026, though they would 'most likely need federation support'.
The Tertiary Education Union has expressed concern that courses being dropped during the disestablishment process are those that can't accommodate large class sizes, such as agriculture. But Simmonds said that $20m per annum had been set aside for the next two years to support certain regions such as Northland and the East Coast, which had a high need for courses that can't be financially viable through student numbers. About $100m worth of Te Pūkenga assets have been identified for sale, with the funding to be returned to Te Pūkenga, she said.
Simmonds, a former chief executive of the Southern Institute of Technology (SIT), told The Spinoff she understood the number of jobs lost to be in the 'several hundreds', and it had been a 'really tough time' for those affected, but they were a part of the 'financial pathway to viability'. She said Otago Polytechnic, whose executive director Megan Pōtiki told RNZ it was 'deeply disappointed' to be included in the federation, has 'a little bit of work to do to get to a surplus' and could be removed from the federation if they met this expectation.
Tertiary Education Union national secretary Sandra Gray told The Spinoff about 10% of the vocational education workforce had disappeared, and she expected another 400 roles were in scope to change. A 'huge amount' of burnout had been felt by those who had stayed, she said, and all staff were currently at the maximum of their timetable teaching hours while they picked up the duties of leaving staff.
'We have staff working at the top end of the workloads, having to work evenings and weekends just to stand still,' she said. 'When you're overworked, you can't put time into each student, you can't work in the way you want.'
Gray said the federation system would be a 'one-size fits all model of blended learning' which she doubted would achieve its purpose. She saw 'no sense' in any polytechnic wanting to be a part of the federation as it would come at the loss of staff and other resources, while paying to access 'someone else's products'. Even if the four institutes that remained with Te Pūkenga were folded into the federation, Gray doubted the system would be economically viable.
Contrary to the minister's position that the un-merging of Te Pūkenga would restore decision-making powers back to the regions, many polytechnics had been 'left in the cold', Gray said. 'They're the ones who are with their students every day, and yet someone in Wellington who once ran a polytechnic is the only one making decisions for everybody without proper consultation … there's no local autonomy at all.'
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Otago Daily Times
3 days ago
- Otago Daily Times
Polytech merger leaves MP baffled
Penny Simmonds had already seen Otago Polytechnic plans to erase a $10 million shortfall before placing it in a "federation" of underperforming institutions. The savings would bring the polytechnic back into surplus, which would be necessary for it to stand alone. Slashing courses has already saved it $4m and it is targeting another $6m of savings by the end of the year, documents leaked to the Otago Daily Times reveal. The documents showed the latest Otago Polytechnic "Road Map to Viability" had targeted savings of $10.5m to bring it back into surplus by December. Published in May, the documents said the polytechnic had already made savings of $4m, meaning it needed to find about $6m in savings over the next six months. The road map document said the savings so far had been achieved through several measures, including cutting 21 "non-performing programmes", drastically downscaling the Capable NZ programme, reviewing its Cromwell campus operations, selling buildings and capping staff numbers. Ms Simmonds, as vocational education minister, announced the breakup of mega-polytechnic Te Pukenga on Monday. Otago Polytechnic was named as one of the 10 regional polytechs (ITPs) to be returned to regional control, but it will not fully stand alone and instead be part of a "federation model" alongside the Open Polytechnic and Universal College of Learning (Ucol). Green Party MP Francisco Hernandez said he could not understand why Otago Polytechnic needed to be part of the federation. "It's baffling they've been forcibly merged with the federation when they had a pretty plausible pathway to autonomy. "Rather than going ahead with their agenda of disruption, forced cuts and forced mergers, the government must invest in Otago Polytechnic so that learners can get the education they deserve." The document also trumpeted Otago Polytechnic's past successes, and said pre-Te Pūkenga, the Dunedin campus added more than $967m to the city's economy from 2017-21. Te Pukenga brought together the country's 16 ITPs five years ago. Tertiary Education Union general secretary Daniel Benson-Guiu said he had been asking for these reports "for months". "We're asking Otago Polytechnic to open up the books — show us what your budget is, show us who has told Otago what it needs to save, and why." Instead of cuts, Otago Polytechnic should focus on reconnecting with the community, he said. Otago Polytechnic executive director Megan Potiki has called for a meeting with Ms Simmonds about the situation. "There has been very little direct guidance from the minister to Otago Polytechnic about requirements for a pathway to full autonomy," Dr Potiki said. "On Wednesday, we reached out to the minister, seeking an urgent meeting to explain the decision, and requesting details around the specific criteria and processes for exiting the federation and regaining true independent status. "We are still waiting on a response," Dr Potiki said. She said all ITPs were told that if they were not financially viable, being included in a federation model was a possibility. "However, we have never had any indication from the Tertiary Education Commission or the minister that Otago Polytechnic was at risk of not reaching the targets set for our financial viability." Ms Simmonds said she had seen the document, as well as information from the TEC and Te Pūkenga. "Supporting Otago Polytechnic to achieve a surplus is critical. "I have met Dr Megan Pōtiki a number of times and with the support of a soon-to-appointed establishment advisory group, I am sure Otago Polytechnic will continue to progress along their financial viability pathway. "At that stage, they would not require the support of the federation if they did not wish to use it."


Otago Daily Times
4 days ago
- Otago Daily Times
Undetermined and undermined
What a mess. The years of disruption and uncertainty in the polytechnic and vocational education sector have continued unabated. Despite a flawed and inadequate funding system, Otago Polytechnic was a thriving institution, even generating surpluses, thanks in part to its Auckland campus for overseas students. In February 2019, Labour Education Minister Chris Hipkins, concerned about several polytechnics running large and persistent deficits, triggered upheaval by beginning the centralisation of the 16 polytechnics. This led to the creation of Te Pūkenga and a costly Hamilton-based bureaucracy. The plan was poor, and the execution was a shambles. By July 2022, about $200 million had been spent on reorganisation, and the projected deficit of $110m far exceeded the net deficits before the upheaval. The promises of economies of scale, reduced course duplication, greater expertise, improved consistency and less waste on marketing were alluring. In practice, however, such reforms often lead to additional layers of highly paid management, the dead hand of bureaucracy, and diminished innovation. Compromised were speedy responses, local pride, genuine local community involvement, and even a touch of healthy inter-polytechnic competition. Regional polytechnics will be better attuned to local needs than branch offices operating under Te Pūkenga. The government and Vocational Education Minister Penny Simmonds have since taken a ham-fisted approach to dismantling Te Pūkenga. Crucial courses have been cut, and many valued staff lost, while restructuring drags on. This week finally brought announcements that 10 polytechnics would return to regional governance. Yet what should have been a positive step for Otago has instead been met with confusion and criticism. Although Ms Simmonds insists Otago Polytechnic will have its own council governance structure with local representatives, it has been placed under a "federation model." Executive director Megan Pōtiki says she has no idea what this will actually mean. In extraordinarily strong criticism, Dr Pōtiki said she feared the federation model would dilute Otago's high learner completion rates and damage its reputation. Its independence and viability as a regional institution were at risk. Ms Simmonds said that being part of the federation — anchored by the Open Polytechnic and including the Universal College of Learning (UCOL) — would enable collaboration in areas such as online learning resources, IT, procurement, and specialist services. This, she argued, would reduce duplication and support financial sustainability. Ideally, such co-operation could occur under regional governance across all 10 "autonomous" polytechnics, not solely through Otago's imposed federation membership. As Tertiary Education Union general secretary Daniel Benson-Guiu said, no-one asked to be part of the federation. Is this simply a "race to the bottom"? Will it lead to excessive reliance on online learning? Surely it would have been helpful if Dr Pōtiki had been consulted on both the federation and the supposed "autonomy", which resembles more a halfway house for her polytechnic. As of Wednesday, she said she still had not been contacted by Ms Simmonds about the changes. How can Otago be truly autonomous while the Open Polytechnic leads and provides services to it? It is bound to be both confusing and unwieldy. Given Ms Simmonds' background as a successful head of the Southern Institute of Technology, one might have expected her to bring more of the sector onside as the system reverts towards its earlier structure. At least, Labour leader Chris Hipkins acknowledges the turbulence endured by polytechnics and their staff. He acknowledges that a return to Te Pūkenga-style centralisation would be unwise for that reason if the coalition loses power at the next election. Inadequate funding and a crude "bums-on-seats" model underpinned earlier deficits. For any system to succeed, sufficient resourcing is vital. Otago Polytechnic has a long and proud history. It must be granted genuine autonomy, adequate funding, and space to rebuild its strength, resilience and innovation.


NZ Herald
4 days ago
- NZ Herald
Letters: Cameron Rd position clarified, traffic flow is faster
While I do sincerely acknowledge that some businesses have issues with customer access since the Cameron Rd upgrade, we do not. Tauranga City Council provided me with a 24-hour, 15-minute loading zone. Pivotal to my business, it enables vehicles, including those with trailers, to drop off and collect goods, regardless of operating bus lanes. From the vantage point of my shop, it is clearly obvious that traffic flow is faster and smoother both ways along Cameron Rd, than prior to the changes. In time, I feel there will be a very positive outcome for all. Howard Jones Naismith & Jones Cameron Rd Cancer treatment The Bay of Plenty Times article regarding decline in the use of low-dose rate brachytherapy to treat prostate cancer was timely and thought-provoking. As a prostate cancer survivor who was treated with brachytherapy in 2008, I can attest to its convenience and effectiveness. As I say in my book Blasted By Seeds (published in 2015), I was in hospital for a night after the procedure on a Thursday afternoon, discharged the next day and back at work the following Tuesday. While I was on medication for several months to control post-treatment symptoms, I kept working fulltime and took minimal sick leave. I was also able to avoid disclosing what had happened to me - which was important in a workplace where there was the possibility of restructuring and downsizing. I doubt my quick return to work would have been possible if I'd undergone prostatectomy - and subsequent hospitalisation. Given the prevalence of prostate cancer, it would be a pity to lose brachytherapy as a treatment option, particularly for men who are diagnosed with early-stage disease and are still working full time. Tom McGrath Karori, Wellington Shoplifting doesn't pay Green MP Tamatha Paul has suggested that people with no money to buy food could turn to shoplifting. Is this suggestion part of the Greens' bold new economic policy? I guess in Tamatha Paul's world, it is only natural that people turn to crime when short of a dollar or two. However, does she not know that food banks exist? Also, if people are short of clothes, then charities exist to help in these circumstances as well. While it is not an ideal situation to rely on charity, one would hope that Paul realises that the crime of shoplifting does not pay. Does she not remember that one of her former colleagues was found guilty of shoplifting even while earning a salary of over $170,000 a year? That's a pretty high pay ceiling to reach while considering whether or not to engage in crime. Bernard Walker Mount Maunganui The Bay of Plenty Times welcomes letters from readers. Please note the following: Letters should not exceed 200 words. They should be opinion, based on facts or current events. If possible, please email. No noms-de-plume. Letters will be published with names and suburb/city. Please include full name, address and contact details for our records only. Local letter writers are given preference. Rejected letters are not normally acknowledged. Letters may be edited, abridged, or rejected at the Editor's discretion. The Editor's decision on publication is final. No correspondence will be entered into. Email editor@