Israeli army says missile launched from Yemen's Houthis intercepted
CAIRO - The Israeli army said on Tuesday that a missile launched from Yemen toward Israeli territory had been intercepted.
Israel has threatened Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi movement - which has been attacking Israel in what it says is solidarity with Gaza - with a naval and air blockade if its attacks on Israel persist.
Since the start of Israel's war in Gaza in October 2023, the Houthis, who control most of Yemen, have been firing at Israel and at shipping in the Red Sea, disrupting global trade.
Most of the dozens of missiles and drones they have launched have been intercepted or fallen short. Israel has carried out a series of retaliatory strikes. REUTERS

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles

Straits Times
28 minutes ago
- Straits Times
Trump withholds nearly $8.9 billion for schools, with little explanation
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox The withholding of dollars threw school district budgets into uncertainty, with only weeks to go before the start of school in many parts of the country. WASHINGTON - The Trump administration has declined to release nearly US$7 billion (S$8.91 billion) in federal funding that helps pay for after-school and summer programmes, support for students learning English, teacher training and other services. The money was expected to be released by July 1. But in an email on June 30, the Education Department notified state education agencies that the money would not be available. The administration offered little explanation, saying only that the funds were under review. It gave no timeline for when, or if, the money would be released, saying instead that it was 'committed to ensuring taxpayer resources are spent in accordance with the president's priorities.' The frozen funds are unrelated to the millions of dollars in cuts included in the domestic policy Bill that squeaked through the Senate on July 1. 'It's catastrophic,' said Ms Jodi Grant, executive director of the Afterschool Alliance, a group that works to expand after-school services for students. Top stories Swipe. Select. Stay informed. World US Senate approves divisive Trump spending Bill World Trump escalates feud with Musk, threatens Tesla, SpaceX support Singapore A second chance to excel: 3,800 private candidates taking O- and A-level exams in 2025 Multimedia Right on track: Meet the new JB-Singapore RTS Link train Singapore 'He fought till the end': Man who survived acid attack as a baby dies of cancer at 26 Business Binance to keep hundreds of staff in Singapore despite crackdown, sources say Opinion US strikes on Iran: The impact ripples on, from Baghdad to Beijing Asia Thai PM's suspension could spell end of Shinawatra clan's era of political dominance She estimated that the federal dollars for after-school and summer-school programs – about US$1.3 billion annually – support 1.4 million students, mostly lower income, representing about 20 per cent of all students in after-school programmes nationally. The move is likely to be challenged in court and has already been criticised as illegal by Democrats and teachers' unions, who emphasised that the money had been appropriated by Congress and was approved by President Donald Trump in March as part of a broader funding Bill. 'This is lawless,' said Ms Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers. The administration has taken an aggressive approach to cutting back the federal government's role in education, including plans to eliminate the Education Department entirely. Though only Congress can abolish the department, the Trump administration has taken an axe to education staffing and funding more broadly as it seeks to whittle down the department. The administration has suggested that it may seek to eliminate the nearly US$7 billion in frozen funding. Mr Russell Vought, the director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, said during a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing last week that the administration was considering ways to claw back the funding through a process known as rescission. The administration would formally ask lawmakers to claw back a set of funds it has targeted for cuts. Even if Congress fails to vote on the request, the president's timing would trigger a law that freezes the money until it ultimately expires. 'No decision has been made,' Mr Vought said. The withholding of dollars on July 1 threw school district budgets into uncertainty, with only weeks to go before the start of school in many parts of the country. Ms Heidi Sipe, the superintendent in Umatilla, Oregon, a low-income, rural district, said her district's after-school programme has traditionally gone until 4.45pm or 5.30pm, and was fully funded through federal dollars. She recently sent a note to parents urging them to make backup plans, though few exist in her community, where she said there is no YMCA or similar alternatives. In Omaha, Nebraska, Ms Nicole Everingham, who helps manage after-school funding for programmes at 42 public schools, said a loss of funding would force her group to consolidate the number of schools that can offer after-school care, and also mean fewer slots for students, because of staffing reductions. 'It completely puts us in flux,' said Ms Everingham, the development director for Collective for Youth, which helps coordinate after-school programming for about half of Omaha public schools. Even if the money comes through after a delay, she said, it could disrupt the ability to hire staff by the start of school in mid-August, creating chaos for working parents who depend on after-school programmes. Many school districts also rely on federal dollars to help non-English-speaking students and families, including training teachers and hiring translators. 'Without this outreach, families who do not speak English could be cut off from schools and the support system they need,' said Ms Ana DeGenna, the school district superintendent in Oxnard, California. Several of the federally funded programmes have been in place for decades. The 21st Century Community Learning Centres, which support before- and after-school programmes, were created in 1994 by federal legislation, and expanded six years later with the passage of the No Child Left Behind Act. Both measures, the first passed during a Democratic administration and the second under a Republican president, were approved by broad bipartisan majorities. One of the newest programmes, known as Student Support and Academic Enrichment grants, has been in place for a decade, supporting many services for issues like mental health and school technology. That law that authorised those grants received broad bipartisan support, including from Representative Tim Walberg of Michigan and Senator Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, both Republicans who are now the chairs of the education committees in their respective chambers. But criticism about cutting funding for these programmes has largely been limited to Democrats. 'Every day that this funding is held up is a day that school districts are forced to worry about whether they'll have to cut back on after-school programmes or lay off teachers instead of worrying about how to make sure our kids can succeed,' Senator Patty Murray, a Democrat who is the vice- chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee, said in a statement. NYTIMES


AsiaOne
38 minutes ago
- AsiaOne
Trump urges Hamas to accept 'final proposal' for 60-day Gaza ceasefire, World News
WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump urged Iran-backed Hamas militants on Tuesday (July 1) to agree to what he called a "final proposal" for a 60-day ceasefire with Israel in Gaza that will be delivered by mediating officials from Qatar and Egypt. In a social media post, Trump said his representatives had a "long and productive" meeting with Israeli officials about Gaza. He did not identify his representatives but US special envoy Steve Witkoff, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Vice President JD Vance had been due to meet Ron Dermer, a senior adviser to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Trump said Israel has agreed to the conditions to finalize a 60-day ceasefire, "during which time we will work with all parties to end the War". He said representatives for Qatar and Egypt will deliver "this final proposal" to Hamas. "I hope, for the good of the Middle East, that Hamas takes this Deal, because it will not get better — it will only get worse. Thank you for your attention to this matter!" he said. Trump told reporters earlier in the day that he is hopeful that a ceasefire-for-hostages agreement can be achieved next week between Israel and Hamas militants in Gaza. He is set to meet Netanyahu at the White House on Monday. Hamas has said it is willing to free remaining hostages in Gaza under any deal to end the war, while Israel says it can only end if Hamas is disarmed and dismantled. Hamas refuses to lay down its arms. The war in Gaza was triggered when Hamas-led militants attacked Israel on Oct 7, 2023, killing 1,200 people and taking 251 hostages, according to Israeli tallies. The two sides have shown little sign of a readiness to budge from their entrenched positions. The US has proposed a 60-day ceasefire and the release of half the hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners and the remains of other Palestinians. Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said earlier this week Israel has agreed to a US-proposed 60-day ceasefire and hostage deal, and put the onus on Hamas. Trump and his aides appear to be seeking to use any momentum from US and Israeli strikes on Iran nuclear sites, as well as a ceasefire that took hold last week in that conflict, to secure a lasting truce in the war in Gaza. Trump told reporters during a visit to Florida that he would be "very firm" with Netanyahu on the need for a speedy Gaza ceasefire while noting that the Israeli leader wants one as well. "We hope it's going to happen. And we're looking forward to it happening sometime next week," he told reporters. "We want to get the hostages out." Gaza's health ministry says Israel's post-Oct 7 military assault has killed over 56,000 Palestinians. The assault has also caused a hunger crisis, internally displaced Gaza's entire population and prompted accusations of genocide at the International Court of Justice and of war crimes at the International Criminal Court. Israel denies the accusations. [[nid:719433]]

Straits Times
44 minutes ago
- Straits Times
‘No hope on my salary': Young South Koreans turn to early investing
Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox South Korea has one of the world's highest rates of elderly poverty among advanced economies. SEOUL - Twenty-eight-year-old Kim goes on a five-hour trip to Ulsan, or any other region, as soon as she gets off work on a weekday. Not for sightseeing or to visit friends, but for property viewing. 'I get off work at 6pm then head to Seoul Station to go for imjang - a Korean term for site visit or field research on real estate properties - in different regions,' she told The Korea Herald. But she is not looking for a home to live in - she is looking to invest. Over the past two years, Ms Kim has spent 10 million won (S$9,370) on investment courses. What she learned was simple, if sobering: With her current income, saving will never buy her a home. Investing is her only option. Among her preferred strategies is a method known as 'gap investment', which leverages Korea's unique jeonse lease system. Under a jeonse lease, tenants pay a lump-sum deposit, often 60 to 80 per cent of the home's value, instead of monthly rent. Landlords hold the deposit during the lease, usually to earn interest from a bank, and return it in full at the end of the contract. For investors, this opens a door: Buy a property by paying only the difference, or 'gap', between the property's market price and the jeonse deposit. Top stories Swipe. Select. Stay informed. World US Senate approves divisive Trump spending Bill World Trump escalates feud with Musk, threatens Tesla, SpaceX support Singapore A second chance to excel: 3,800 private candidates taking O- and A-level exams in 2025 Multimedia Right on track: Meet the new JB-Singapore RTS Link train Singapore 'He fought till the end': Man who survived acid attack as a baby dies of cancer at 26 Business Binance to keep hundreds of staff in Singapore despite crackdown, sources say Opinion US strikes on Iran: The impact ripples on, from Baghdad to Beijing Asia Thai PM's suspension could spell end of Shinawatra clan's era of political dominance For example, if an apartment is worth 1.7 billion won and a jeonse deposit of 1 billion won already in place, the investor only needs 700 million won to acquire ownership, either in cash or with a loan. Through this approach, Ms Kim now owns two apartments in Ulsan worth 600 million won, having put up only 100 million won of her own money. To acquire what she has now, Ms Kim has spent every weekend walking over 20km each day to study neighbourhoods - their environments, schools, and proximity to public transportation and other facilities - all the elements that factor into buying a house. 'Using all my free time to study and go for imjang is exhausting. I'm sacrificing my youth so I won't suffer in old age,' Ms Kim said. 'And to have that stable life is absolutely impossible with my current salary,' she said. 'I earn 4 million won a month, and the apartments in Seoul cost over 2 billion. Even if I didn't spend a penny of my salary and saved it all, it would take over 40 years to buy a house, which by then would be much more expensive.' Strategic sacrifice Ms Kim is not alone. A growing number of young South Koreans are turning to aggressive investment tactics, seeking financial stability in the face of an uncertain future. 'This is hard to believe. We used to start property investment in our 40s and 50s. But now I'm taking an investment course with a 25-year-old,' said a 45-year-old surnamed Chae. Informal 'imjang crews' now walk neighbourhoods together, sharing information and strategies. This rise in financial self-discipline extends beyond courses and walking tours. Social media is fuelling the trend. The number of Instagram posts with the Korean hashtag 'investment' is over 2.3 million, along with property-related investment posts amounting to over 1.6 million. The online platform where Ms Kim learned her skills, Weolbu - short for 'salaried and rich' - has ballooned to over 1.5 million users in less than 18 months - 10 times its size in 2023. The company's profits more than doubled, from 18.3 billion won in 2022 to 50.8 billion won in 2024. 'Becoming a financially secure salaried worker is my dream,' said 30-year-old Choi Hyun-sik, who is currently enrolled in an investment course. 'I want to use my salary as a baseline and earn more through smart investments so I can afford a house and prepare for retirement.' a popular Instagram influencer who focuses on providing real estate investment strategies, particularly gap investment, has amassed over 70,000 followers - 80 per cent of them in their 20s and 30s. 'I started this Instagram to help those in their 20s and 30s who don't have much money to put toward buying an apartment in Seoul but still want to grab this kind of opportunity,' he told The Korea Herald. attributes the current investment craze to the fear young Koreans experienced as the COVID-19 pandemic roiled the economy. 'In 2021, there was a surge in real estate prices in South Korea. Due to Covid-19, the government released a lot of funds for small businesses and those who lost their jobs. With the added liquidity, the value (of money) dropped and housing prices skyrocketed. 'The government put restrictions in place to contain the sudden rise, but people flocked to apartments that did not have restrictions, which led to demand soaring in those areas, and in turn to higher prices,' he explained. The psychological effect, he noted, was profound. 'Many in my generation felt an urgency: If we don't act now, we'll never catch up.' 'When the price of apartments soared, many people thought they would never be able to buy a house in their lifetimes. The sudden gap between those who own a house and those who don't widened, and many young people began to think they had to prepare for the future fast,' he explained. And it is not just any house people want to own — it's an apartment in Seoul, he added. For many, owning an apartment in Seoul is a symbol of success and security, an ultimate life goal in South Korean society. 'Seoul apartments carry enormous symbolic weight,' said 'They aren't just a place to live. They're a milestone - something that proves you've made it.' Unlike speculative cryptocurrency frenzies or meme stock booms, this investment behaviour is deeply rooted in structural fear - particularly about ageing. Anxious about the future Many young Koreans are more scared than ever about their future. 'Thinking about getting old, I get depressed. What would happen if I can't buy a home on my current salary? How can I have children and raise them? How will I take care of myself in the future with the pension crisis we face right now?' said a 28-year-old surnamed Choi, who works at a major conglomerate. South Korea has one of the world's highest rates of elderly poverty among advanced economies. According to the OECD, 40.4 per cent of South Koreans aged 66 and over lived in relative poverty as of 2020 - defined as earning less than half the national median income. That is nearly three times the OECD average and significantly higher than comparable countries: Japan (20.2 per cent), the US (22.8 per cent), and Estonia (34.6 per cent). For many young South Koreans, this is a harrowing glimpse of their own future. 'The fear is real,' said Professor Yoon In-jin, a sociologist at Korea University. He attributes the young Koreans' desperation to invest to structural and generational change. 'From a social structural perspective, from the 1960s to the 1990s, Korea was in the era of constant growth. So young people at that time were focused more on bigger causes like community, society and the nation. As they witnessed their lives getting better, they didn't fear what the future would bring,' Professor Yoon explained. Professor Yoon added that the phenomenon is the result of a unique feature of this generation. 'Young people today are more realistic, more individualistic. They know the economy isn't growing like it did in the past. They doubt pensions will still be solvent when they retire. They can't rely on the government or the system. So they turn to property.' Professor Yoon points to a shift in generational values. 'Their parents lived through high-growth decades. They (parents) believed that if you worked hard and saved, you'd be okay. That belief doesn't hold anymore. 'Today's young adults were raised in smaller families, often as only children, and they've grown up with strong parental support - but in a society that's no longer economically expanding.' This inward focus, while understandable, carries risks. 'I worry about where this hyper-individualism could lead,' Professor Yoon said. 'As young people focus on their own success, they sometimes end up with a growing hostility toward social minorities, such as immigrants, people with disabilities, women and lower-income groups,' he added. Though starting one's interest in finance and investment is crucial and is good for the economy, he said, that way of twisting individualism into resentment toward minorities is something to be cautious about. THE KOREA HERALD/ASIA NEWS NETWORK