logo
'I'm free now,' says Venezuelan singer held in El Salvador

'I'm free now,' says Venezuelan singer held in El Salvador

Reutersa day ago
CARACAS, July 22 (Reuters) - A Venezuelan singer who spent months in a notorious prison in El Salvador returned to his family in Caracas overnight, one of the first of more than 250 former prisoners to arrive home after they were sent back to Venezuela last week.
Arturo Suarez was greeted with hugs and tears in working-class El Valle, south of the capital, by his sister, aunt and cousins. He later wiped away tears as he spoke to his wife and daughter, who live in Chile, via video call.
"I'm free now, thank God, at last," said Suarez, who was arrested in February in North Carolina while filming a music video. He serenaded a crowd gathered in his family's living room. "I still can't believe it."
The Venezuelans were sent to El Salvador from the United States in March, after U.S. President Donald Trump invoked the 1798 Alien Enemies Act to deport alleged members of the Tren de Aragua gang without normal immigration procedures.
The deportations drew fierce criticism from human rights groups and a legal battle with the Trump administration. Families and lawyers of many of the men have denied they have gang ties.
His wife has said Suarez had gone to the U.S. to boost his emerging music career and that he denied being a member of Tren de Aragua.
"I thought of my daughter, I thought of my wife, of my siblings, of my family, I asked for strength to not give up, to not allow myself to die," Suarez told journalists about his detention. "I didn't - because I'm tough, I'm a Venezuelan."
Suarez and the other detainees deported to El Salvador from the U.S. were returned to Venezuela on Friday in a prisoner exchange. Since arriving they have been undergoing medical checks and interviews with officials.
Suarez said the guards at the CECOT prison beat prisoners and told them they would only leave dead. Some detainees considered suicide, he added.
His comments tallied with other allegations of abuse made by former prisoners in videos broadcast on state television, including during a program with Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Monday night.
Venezuela's attorney general said on Monday his office will investigate El Salvador President Nayib Bukele and other top officials over the alleged abuse.
Bukele's office did not respond to requests for comment. Reuters was not able to immediately confirm the allegations.
The Venezuelan opposition has regularly critiqued the Maduro government for holding activists and others in abusive conditions within Venezuela.
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

LGBTQ festival canceled after 16 years due to Trump DEI order, organizers say
LGBTQ festival canceled after 16 years due to Trump DEI order, organizers say

NBC News

time4 minutes ago

  • NBC News

LGBTQ festival canceled after 16 years due to Trump DEI order, organizers say

The organizers of an LGBTQ film festival in Phoenix have canceled the annual event 'in direct response' to President Donald Trump's executive order seeking to end diversity, equity and inclusion programs at publicly funded institutions. The nonprofit Desperado LGBTQ+ Film Festival is hosted by a student organization at Paradise Valley Community College, which receives federal funds. The festival's mission, according to its website, is to showcase quality films that are related to the experiences of the LGBTQ+ community.' The festival was first held in 2009, and the most recent — which included seven feature films and seven shorts — was held this past January. 'As a publicly funded institution, we must comply with these orders,' the festival's organizers said in a statement shared on its website. 'Failure to do so would jeopardize the district's federal funding, including student financial aid and grants that support over 300 positions across our campuses. The loss of such funding would create a ripple effect, significantly affecting students, faculty, staff, the community, and the educational services we provide.' President Trump's DEI-related executive order called for the termination of diversity, equity and inclusion mandates, policies programs, preferences and activities in the federal government, describing these measures as 'discriminatory.' In its ' Trump Accountability Tracker,' LGBTQ advocacy organization GLAAD asserts that the DEI-related order is one of more than 300 anti-LGBTQ actions from the second Trump administration. Others on GLAAD's list include the elimination of the 988 suicide hotline for LGBTQ youth, the removal of transgender service members from the military and the renaming of a Navy vessel named for gay civil rights leader Harvey Milk. The Trump administration did not answer specific questions about the cancellation of the Desperado LGBTQ+ Film Festival and GLAAD's anti-LGBTQ action list, but a White House spokesperson said in an email that the president's 'reelection and the overall MAGA movement is a big tent welcome for all and home to a large swath of the American people.' 'The American people voted for a return to common sense, and the President is delivering on every campaign promise supported by 77 million voters and is ushering in our Golden Age,' the spokesperson, Harrison Fields, said in the email. In the statement shared to its website, the film festival organizers said they're 'heartbroken' by the cancellation of their annual event. ​​'We hope this is not a farewell but a momentary pause,' they said. 'We look forward to the possibility of resuming the festival when conditions allow.'

Supreme Court allows Trump to fire members of product safety agency
Supreme Court allows Trump to fire members of product safety agency

NBC News

time4 minutes ago

  • NBC News

Supreme Court allows Trump to fire members of product safety agency

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Wednesday allowed President Donald Trump to fire members of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, a federal agency set up by Congress to be independent of political pressures. The justices, granting an emergency request filed by the Trump administration, blocked a Maryland-based federal judge's ruling that reinstated Mary Boyle, Alexander Hoehn-Saric and Richard Trumka Jr., all of whom had been appointed by then-President Joe Biden. Without the three members in place, the five-member commission would for now lack the necessary quorum to fulfill its obligation to protect consumers from defective products. Under existing law, members can only be removed for 'neglect of duty or malfeasance,' but Trump went ahead and fired members anyway, as he has done at other agencies with similar restrictions as part of his aggressive efforts to reshape the federal government. The Supreme Court in May allowed him to fire members of the National Labor Relations Board and the Merit Systems Protection Board, casting aside precedent dating back to 1935 that upheld removal protections. The unsigned order on Wednesday said that the latest case was "squarely controlled" by what the high court decided then. As in the previous case, the three liberal justices on the conservative-majority court dissented. "Once again, this court uses its emergency docket to destroy the independence of an independent agency, as established by Congress," wrote Justice Elena Kagan. In ruling against Trump, lower court judges relied on the 1935 precedent, a case called Humphrey's Executor v. United States, which the Supreme Court has not overturned but has signaled it will in due course. The court has in recent rulings undermined the 1935 precedent by saying that similar restrictions on presidential power involving other agencies are unconstitutional because they infringe on the core constitutional powers of the president. In 2020, the court ruled on those grounds in a case involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau director and followed that up with a similar ruling a year later concerning the Federal Housing Finance Agency. Trump in May moved to fire the three Consumer Product Safety Commission members. A month later, U.S. District Court Judge Matthew Maddox ordered that they be reinstated and they returned to their jobs while litigation continued. The Richmond-based 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals declined to put Maddox's ruling on hold. The commission, set up in 1972 by Congress, oversees a wide variety of consumer product issues, including safety standards and research into injury prevention. In order to insulate the commission from politics, Congress gave the members staggered seven-year terms, stipulated that only three could represent the same political party and said the president could not fire them at will. All five members are appointed by the president, confirmed by the Senate and expected to have expertise on consumer product safety issues. Solicitor General D. John Sauer said in court papers that Maddox's ruling has 'sown chaos and dysfunction' at the agency, with the reinstated members moving to undo actions that the commission took after they were initially fired. Lawyers for the commission members wrote in their own filing that the court would be adding to the disruption if it allowed their clients to be removed from office a second time. In some cases, the three commissioners have been "undoing actions that the CPSC unlawfully took" during the time they were prevented from working, the lawyers added.

Ghislaine Maxwell subpoenaed by Congress over Epstein ahead of Trump team meeting
Ghislaine Maxwell subpoenaed by Congress over Epstein ahead of Trump team meeting

Daily Mirror

time6 minutes ago

  • Daily Mirror

Ghislaine Maxwell subpoenaed by Congress over Epstein ahead of Trump team meeting

US Congress's House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer has issued a subpoena to Ghislaine Maxwell for a deposition to occur at Federal Correctional Institution Tallahassee on August 11. 'The facts and circumstances surrounding both your and Mr Epstein 's cases have received immense public interest and scrutiny,' Comer wrote in a statement. 'While the Justice Department undertakes efforts to uncover and publicly disclose additional information related to your and Mr Epstein's cases, it is imperative that Congress conduct oversight of the federal government's enforcement of sex trafficking laws generally and specifically its handling of the investigation and prosecution of you and Mr Epstein,' he added. It came as a federal judge in Florida denied a Justice Department request to release grand jury transcripts from the investigation of Epstein. The quick denial blocked efforts by the Trump administration to blunt criticism of its handling of files related to the sex offender, who was once a friend of the president. One of Donald Trump's top law officials is set to meet with convicted sex trafficker Ghislaine Maxwell in the next several days. Maxwell's attorney, David Oscar Markus, confirmed Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche will talk directly to the disgraced British socialite. Her lawyer, David Oscar Markus, has been requesting meetings with Trump administration officials and has argued that Maxwell did not receive a fair trial. 'I can confirm that we are in discussions with the government and that Ghislaine will always testify truthfully," Markus told the Mirror. "We are grateful to President Trump for his commitment to uncovering the truth in this case.'

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store