logo
Awarded mentor jailed for ‘appalling' child abuse while working as football umpire

Awarded mentor jailed for ‘appalling' child abuse while working as football umpire

The Age23-06-2025
An Indigenous elder and former Victorian Senior of the Year has been jailed for 'appalling' offences against a child he had mentored as a football umpire.
Robert Eccles, 72, was in April found guilty by a County Court jury of four child abuse charges, including committing an indecent act on a child aged under 16 and sexual penetration of a 16- or 17-year-old child in his care.
He was acquitted by the jury of another four charges of sexual penetration and one of committing an indecent act with a child.
Eccles was aged 59 and working as a senior umpire in Warrnambool when he started giving full-body massages to a 15-year-old junior umpire in his garage in 2011.
The Indigenous elder had mentored the boy and told him the massages were important for his performance as an umpire.
When the boy turned 16, the massages became sexual.
Eccles faced the County Court in Melbourne on Monday, supported by four women, and was sentenced to a maximum of four years and eight months in jail, with a non-parole period of nearly three years.
Chief judge Amanda Chambers found his offending against a child who was under his care while inside his home was an inherent beach of trust.
'[It was] appalling offending against a child who you had mentored and encouraged,' she said.
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Joshua Dale Brown: Red flags about child care worker accused of sexual offences not acted on
Joshua Dale Brown: Red flags about child care worker accused of sexual offences not acted on

West Australian

time3 hours ago

  • West Australian

Joshua Dale Brown: Red flags about child care worker accused of sexual offences not acted on

Red flags about the conduct of a childcare centre worker charged with the sexual abuse of eight young children under his care were raised at least two years earlier, it has been revealed. In May, Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said Joshua Dale Brown was not previously known to police and had a working with children check. But now it has emerged that two complaints about Mr Brown were investigated and substantiated in the two years before his arrest. Mr Brown, 26, was charged with more than 70 offences related to eight alleged victims aged between five months and two years old, sparking a call by Victorian health authorities for 1200 children to get tested for sexually transmitted infectious diseases. On Sunday, the ABC revealed two reports were made to Victoria's Reportable Conduct Scheme about Mr Brown's interaction with children at Point Cook's Creative Gardens, where he is alleged to have abused eight children. Those reports did not relate to sexual conduct. The first in April 2023 reported by three team members was two years before he was charged and related to him aggressively picking up and putting down a child and then failing to support the upset child. The second incident raised by a parent in January 2024 alleged he raised his voice to three children and forcibly grabbed the arm of one, the leg of another and forcibly pulled off that child's shoe. Both incidents were investigated and substantiated by G8, the childcare giant that operates the centre. Mr Brown was disciplined after the first incident, given a written warning and a performance improvement plan. He took three months leave but returned to work at the centre. After the second incident Mr Brown was suspended immediately and he then resigned from the centre, and went on to work at 10 other Melbourne childcare centres not owned by G8. G8 Education sent a letter to families on Saturday confirming the incidents and claiming they were reported to Victoria Police. The allegations did not spark a review of his WWCC, which allowed him to work at other centres.

Bombshell claims about childcare worker accused of abuse
Bombshell claims about childcare worker accused of abuse

Perth Now

time3 hours ago

  • Perth Now

Bombshell claims about childcare worker accused of abuse

Red flags about the conduct of a childcare centre worker charged with the sexual abuse of eight young children under his care were raised at least two years earlier, it has been revealed. In May, Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said Joshua Dale Brown was not previously known to police and had a working with children check. But now it has emerged that two complaints about Mr Brown were investigated and substantiated in the two years before his arrest. Mr Brown, 26, was charged with more than 70 offences related to eight alleged victims aged between five months and two years old, sparking a call by Victorian health authorities for 1200 children to get tested for sexually transmitted infectious diseases. On Sunday, the ABC revealed two reports were made to Victoria's Reportable Conduct Scheme about Mr Brown's interaction with children at Point Cook's Creative Gardens, where he is alleged to have abused eight children. Those reports did not relate to sexual conduct. The first in April 2023 reported by three team members was two years before he was charged and related to him aggressively picking up and putting down a child and then failing to support the upset child. The second incident raised by a parent in January 2024 alleged he raised his voice to three children and forcibly grabbed the arm of one, the leg of another and forcibly pulled off that child's shoe. Both incidents were investigated and substantiated by G8, the childcare giant that operates the centre. Mr Brown was disciplined after the first incident, given a written warning and a performance improvement plan. He took three months leave but returned to work at the centre. After the second incident Mr Brown was suspended immediately and he then resigned from the centre, and went on to work at 10 other Melbourne childcare centres not owned by G8. G8 Education sent a letter to families on Saturday confirming the incidents and claiming they were reported to Victoria Police. The allegations did not spark a review of his WWCC, which allowed him to work at other centres.

Second person dies after car ploughs into pedestrians near Melbourne playground
Second person dies after car ploughs into pedestrians near Melbourne playground

7NEWS

time6 hours ago

  • 7NEWS

Second person dies after car ploughs into pedestrians near Melbourne playground

A second person has died after a car ploughed into three people as police wait to speak to an elderly driver. The trio was walking on a footpath in suburban Wantirna South, in Melbourne's east, on Thursday when a 91-year-old driver lost control of her car. Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today The Toyota Yaris mounted a footpath before hurtling down a hill and smashing through a fence and into a bench. The woman, 59, died at the scene while the man, 60, was taken to hospital in a critical condition. A two-year-old boy was seriously injured but his condition had been stabilised in hospital on Friday. Police said late on Saturday the 60-year-old man had died from his injuries. Investigators, who are yet to interview the elderly driver, will assess whether speed was a contributing factor. The incident has prompted the state government to consider previous calls for older people to prove they are fit to drive, in line with rules in other states. Victoria does not have age-based driving safety requirements, although drivers aged 75 and older must renew their licence every three years, which can involve various tests. NSW, Queensland, the ACT, Tasmania and the Northern Territory require drivers older than 75 to have a health check, while older drivers in South Australia must complete self-assessments. In Western Australia, an annual medical assessment is required to renew a driver's licence from the age of 80. The crash happened during the first week of Victorian school holidays, bringing the state's road toll to 14 in seven days. CCTV has emerged of the aftermath of the tragic incident in which the Toyota Yaris can be seen hurtling down Coleman Rd for about 200m after it struck the trio. The video shows a hubcap flying off the car, rolling down the roads as it trails the car. Superintendent Justin Goldsmith said the car had been on the footpath for 40m to 50m before it hit the pedestrians. He said the driver sustained minor scratches but appeared emotionally shaken. Police have appealed to anyone who witnessed the incident or who has dashcam footage to come forward.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store