Lebanon cannot call itself a state without answers to Beirut blast, says Justice Minister
No one has been held accountable for one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history, which killed more than 220 people, injured thousands and devastated large parts of the Lebanese capital.
The explosion was caused by the detonation of nearly 3,000 tonnes of ammonium nitrate that had been improperly stored at the port for years, despite repeated warnings to Lebanese authorities.
The physical wounds are still present throughout Beirut, while the mental and emotional scars linger for its people every day, with justice still out of reach.
The tragedy exposed the deep-rooted corruption, negligence and dysfunction at the heart of Lebanon 's political and judicial systems.
Efforts to investigate the blast have been repeatedly obstructed by political interference, legal challenges and the removal of lead investigators, leaving victims' families still searching for answers five years later.
The current investigative judge Tarek Bitar has previously been threatened and faced challenges summoning senior figures he has fought to interrogate. He is finally making some progress after years of constant impediments - although a long road ahead remains.
'When you have a blast of the dramatic impact of the port blast, a state that is not able to give answers and ensure accountability to its citizens is a state not fulfilling its role,' said Justice Minister Adel Nassar.
'I understand the families, all the victims, that they want a decision as soon as possible. But I think they understand that the main criteria is to ensure he [Mr Bitar] completed his work and he got sufficient evidence supporting his findings,' Mr Nassar told The National in an interview at his office in Beirut, days before the fifth anniversary of the explosion.
Mr Nassar assumed the role earlier this year in the government of Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, himself a former judge and former chief of the International Court of Justice.
Mr Salam's team has sought to bring about reform in a country long plagued by institutional malaise, and the Premier has repeatedly said that accountability over the blast is one his key objectives.
'It's one of the priorities and nobody will accept that this major dramatic event remains without answers, without a trial, without a proper judicial system acting in this respect,' said Mr Nassar.
Justice delayed
Judge Bitar's investigation has been fraught with challenges from the start. He was not the original lead judge in the immediate aftermath of the explosion and, at one point, was stripped of his authority by Lebanon's then-top prosecutor Ghassan Oueidat — who himself had been charged in connection with the case. Mr Bitar also faced a barrage of lawsuits filed by senior officials seeking to avoid interrogation.
But in January he reopened the case again. Shortly after, his powers were reinstalled by Lebanon's new top prosecutor and some – although not all – top officials who resisted interrogation for months, if not years, eventually appeared for questioning.
Mr Oueidat, however, refused on Thursday to be notified of a hearing scheduled by Mr Bitar for questioning on Monday as a suspect in the case.
The investigation's reactivation has coincided with the arrival of a new president and a reform-minded government, raising cautious hopes for a shift in approach.
'Maybe there is a coincidence between my arrival to the ministry and the fact that he [Mr Bitar] is being able to conduct his work without obstacles,' said Mr Nassar.
"A coincidence?" The National asked. 'Why not?' the Minister responded, with a smile and shrug of his shoulders.
Mr Nassar said he has no formal role in the investigation, and that no good justice minister should have one in this case or any other.
'It's clear that the Ministry is not in charge of the investigation and is not supposed to interfere in the investigation. And I'm clearly not interfering," Mr Nassar said.
'My role is to ensure that the investigative judge will have all the tools he may require to continue his work and to prevent any political interference in his work."
He added: "I tried to support any requirements or demand he brought, I'm very happy that French investigative judges came to Lebanon to share information with him,' referring to a French judicial delegation that was on the ground two weeks after the blast and was allowed to share its findings with Mr Bitar once the investigation resumed.
The contents of the French findings are not known to Mr Nassar, but it is hoped the exchange of information between judicial officials will support the case.
'I made the contacts to ensure that they could come and share information. But I didn't even meet them, it's not my role to meet them.
'We really have to respect the separation of powers in Lebanon. In a democracy, you have a proper separation. I am a minister, I am not supposed to ask questions regarding the merit of a judge's work.'
Mr Nassar said he has ensured there is proper co-operation between Mr Bitar and Lebanon's top prosecutor. He also reiterated his solidarity with families of the victims.
'It is one of the most terrible crimes that occurred. It is the duty of the state to give this file a full effort, because we cannot pretend we have a state, and at the same time, not be able to address this terrible blast,' he said.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


The National
3 minutes ago
- The National
Crypto funds intended for Hamas seized by US
Some $2 million in cryptocurrency assets intended for Hamas has been seized by the US government, according to recently unsealed court forfeiture documents from the US Department of Justice. According to court filings, the digital currency was held in Tether and Binance accounts connected through BuyCash, a 'Gaza-based money transfer business' allegedly involved in helping to finance Hamas. 'Terrorist organisations like Hamas and their affiliates rely on shadowy financial networks to fund their deadly operations,' US Attorney General Pamela Bondi said. 'By seizing millions in cryptocurrency, the Justice Department is aggressively dismantling the financial infrastructure of terrorism and refusing to allow our digital currency platforms to become safe havens for terrorist financing.' The court filings allege that a man named Ahmed M M Alaqad, a partial owner of the BuyCash operation, is also suspected of supporting ISIS and Al Qaeda, among other groups. Unsealed court documents accuse him of 'materially supporting Hamas' after the group's attack on Israel in October 2023. According to the DoJ, the specific method of transferring funds via digital assets likely resulted in Hamas previously receiving as much as $4 million. 'These types of money transfers are a classic money laundering technique, as they intend to disguise the nature, location, ownership, and control of the funds being transferred,' read the unsealed court filings. Despite growing enthusiasm for crypto, scepticism still abounds. Unlike fiat currencies, crypto mostly lacks an overall regulatory apparatus and is largely decentralised, making it appealing to groups with nefarious intentions. In May, a man in the US was sentenced to more than 30 years in prison after a court found him guilty of converting $185,000 to cryptocurrency and transferring it to ISIS. In March, an investigation originating from the FBI's field office in New Mexico has led to the seizure of $201,400 in cryptocurrency assets that was intended to finance Hamas.


The National
3 hours ago
- The National
Palestine church attacks tear at Israel's relations with Christians
Just back from Gaza, Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa's voice faltered as he recounted the horror of seeing a mutilated child in the Al Ahli Baptist Hospital. It was one thing to see the pictures, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem said on his return to the city. 'It's different to see the child with the father there, the only remaining family, with his only remaining child out of six. It is difficult to bear. He lost his sight, everything.' Cardinal Pizzaballa was in Gaza after Israeli fire killed three Christians last week in the only Catholic church in the strip. The cardinal reiterated his position that he is not sure he believes the Israeli army's assessment that the strike was a mistake. Pope Leo XIV also condemned the attack. The Patriarch stressed his solidarity with all in the strip and condemned the 'morally unacceptable' war, in particular the growing hunger that he saw on his brief visit. 'It is time to end this nonsense, end the war and put the common good of people as the top priority,' he said. Cardinal Pizzaballa, who was tipped as a papal candidate at the last conclave and is one of the most influential faith leaders in Jerusalem, was not the only senior church leader to raise serious concerns about Christians in the Holy Land this week. On Saturday, US Ambassador and evangelical Christian Zionist Mike Huckabee slammed an arson attack by Israeli settlers on a church in the occupied West Bank village of Taybeh as an 'act of terror'. 'What has happened here is an absolute travesty and it's my desire to do everything possible to let the people of this peaceful village know that we will certainly insist that those who carry out acts of terror and violence in Taybeh – or anywhere – be found and be prosecuted,' Mr Huckabee said. His comments came amid rising Israeli settler violence in the West Bank, which has seen daily incidents of vandalism, land and property theft, assaults and even killings, including of US-Palestinians. Mr Huckabee's angry words were a remarkable condemnation from someone who The Jerusalem Post last year described as the second most important Christian Zionist around. Today, Mr Huckabee has the ear of the most powerful man on the planet, US President Donald Trump Millions of Christian Zionists live in the US and vote for Mr Trump. Their pro-Israel stance is a critical foundation of the US's seemingly open-ended support of the country. They raise vast sums of money for Zionist causes and send over streams of Christians on solidarity visits, often to provide labour on Israeli farms and vineyards. The US also just got its first pope, Leo XIV, now the spiritual leader of 1.4 billion people. The pontiff's most senior representative in the Holy Land, Cardinal Pizzaballa, has lived in Jerusalem for more than three decades and speaks fluent Hebrew. Israel has acknowledged some of these recent incidents. On Thursday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu 's office released a statement, not explicitly in his name, that said: 'Israel deeply regrets that a stray ammunition hit Gaza's Holy Family Church.' No such statement was issued in Hebrew for the domestic press. The statement came shortly after White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Mr Trump had phoned Mr Netanyahu about the strike and that 'it was not a positive reaction'. The church attack in Taybeh garnered a very different response from authorities and people close to Mr Netanyahu. Two days after Mr Huckabee demanded action, Israel's police said 'reports' of such an attack were 'factually incorrect, lack any evidentiary basis, and risk misleading the public'. This came after diplomats from more than 20 countries, senior church leaders and dozens of journalists made an official visit to witness the site, during which video evidence and testimony from several sources were presented. Caroline Glick, Mr Netanyahu's international affairs adviser, went further. In a post on X, quoting a report from a sanctioned settler who she described as a journalist, Ms Glick wrote that the story was 'a despicable and false blood libel' and blamed the fire on local Christians who she accused of setting fire to their own lands to stop 'Jewish grazing' from a nearby settlement. The flare up came just hours after Mr Huckabee announced the resolution of a bitter controversy over evangelicals not being given Israeli visas. On Wednesday, Mr Huckabee sent an angry letter to Israel's interior minister, which was subsequently leaked, that accused Israel's visa authorities of 'arbitrarily' complicating the process. 'It would be very unfortunate that our Embassy would have to publicly announce throughout the US that the State of Israel is no longer welcoming Christian organisations and their representatives and is instead engaging in harassment and negative treatment towards organisations with long-standing relationships and positive involvement towards Zionism and friendship to the Jewish people and the State of Israel,' Mr Huckabee said. 'We would further be obligated to warn Christians in America that their generous contributions to organisations to promote goodwill in Israel are being met with hostility and that tourists should reconsider travel until this situation is resolved with clarity,' he added. Mr Huckabee said in a post on X on Monday that the issue had been resolved after a meeting with the minister of interior enabled by Mr Netanyahu.


Khaleej Times
3 hours ago
- Khaleej Times
'Hunger has shaken my resolve': AFP journalists document Gaza war amid food shortage
AFP journalists in the Gaza Strip said Tuesday that chronic food shortages are affecting their ability to cover Israel's conflict with Hamas militants. Palestinian text, photo and video journalists working for the international news agency said desperate hunger and lack of clean water is making them ill and exhausted. Some have even had to cut back on their coverage of the war, now in its 22nd month, with one journalist saying "we have no energy left due to hunger". The United Nations in June condemned what it claimed was Israel's "weaponisation of food" in Gaza and called it a war crime, as aid agencies urge action and warnings about malnutrition multiply. Israel says humanitarian aid is being allowed into Gaza and accuses Hamas of exploiting civilian suffering, including by stealing food handouts to sell at inflated prices or shooting at those awaiting aid. Witnesses and Gaza's civil defence agency, however, have repeatedly accused Israeli forces of firing on aid seekers, with the UN saying the military had killed more than 1,000 Palestinians trying to get food since late May. 'We have no energy' Bashar Taleb, 35, is one of four AFP photographers in Gaza who were shortlisted for the prestigious Pulitzer Prize earlier this year. He lives in the bombed-out ruins of his home in Jabalia al-Nazla, in northern Gaza. "I've had to stop working multiple times just to search for food for my family and loved ones," he said. "I feel for the first time utterly defeated emotionally. "I've tried so much, knocked on many doors to save my family from starvation, constant displacement and persistent fear but so far to no avail." Another Pulitzer nominee, Omar al-Qattaa, 35, is staying in the remains of his wife's family's home after his own apartment was destroyed. "I'm exhausted from carrying heavy cameras on my shoulders and walking long distances," he said. "We can't even reach coverage sites because we have no energy left due to hunger and lack of food." Qattaa relies on painkillers for a back complaint, but said basic medicines were not available in pharmacies, and the lack of vitamins and nutritious food have added to his difficulties. The constant headaches and dizziness he has suffered due to lack of food and water have also afflicted AFP contributor Khadr Al-Zanoun, 45, in Gaza City, who said he has even collapsed because of it. "Since the war began, I've lost about 30 kilos (66 pounds) and become skeletal compared to how I looked before the war," he said. "I used to finish news reports and stories quickly. Now I barely manage to complete one report per day due to extreme physical and mental fatigue and near-delirium." Worse, though, was the effect on his family, he said. "They're barely hanging on," he added. Working non-stop for 14 months Eyad Baba, another photojournalist, was displaced from his home in Rafah, in the south, to a tent in Deir el-Balah, in central Gaza, where the Israeli military this week began ground operations for the first time. But he could not bear life in the sprawling camp, so he instead rented an apartment at an inflated price to try to at least provide his family some comfort. Baba, 47, has worked non-stop for 14 months, away from his family and friends, documenting the bloody aftermath of bullets and bombs, and the grief that comes with it. Hardest to deal with, though, is the lack of food, he said. "I can no longer bear the hunger. Hunger has reached my children and has shaken my resolve," he added. "We've psychologically endured every kind of death during our press coverage. Fear and the sense of looming death accompany us wherever we work or live." Working as a journalist in Gaza is to work "under the barrel of a gun", he explained, but added, "The pain of hunger is sharper than the fear of bombing. Hunger robs you of focus, of the ability to think amid the horrors of war." 'Living the catastrophe' The director of Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza, Mohammed Abu Salmiya, warned on Tuesday that Gaza was heading towards "alarming numbers of deaths" due to lack of food, revealing that 21 children had died from malnutrition and starvation in the last three days. AFP text journalist Ahlam Afana, 30, said an exhausting "cash crisis" — from exorbitant bank charges and sky-high prices for what food is available — was adding to the issue. Cash withdrawals carry fees of up to 45 percent, said Zanoun, with high prices for fuel — where it is available — making getting around by car impossible, even if the streets were not blocked by rubble. "Prices are outrageous," said Afana. "A kilo of flour sells for 100–150 shekels ($30-45), beyond our ability to buy even one kilo a day. "Rice is 100 shekels, sugar is over 300 shekels, pasta is 80 shekels, a litre of oil is 85–100 shekels, tomatoes 70–100 shekels. Even seasonal fruits now — grapes, figs — cost 100 shekels per kilo. "We can't afford them. I don't even remember how they taste." Afana said she keeps working from a worn-out tent in intense heat that can reach more than 30°C, but going days without food and only some water makes it a struggle. "I move slowly, unlike before," she said. "The danger isn't just the bombing. Hunger is slowly killing our bodies and threatening our ability to carry on. Now, I'm not just reporting the news. I'm living the catastrophe and documenting it at the same time." 'I prefer death over this life' Media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said on July 8 that more than 200 journalists had been killed in Gaza since Hamas's attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, which sparked the war. Video journalist Yousef Hassouna, 47, said the loss of colleagues, friends and family had tested him as a human being "in every possible way". But despite "a heavy emptiness", he said he carries on. "Every frame I capture might be the last trace of a life buried beneath the earth," he added. "In this war, life as we know it has become impossible." Zuheir Abu Atileh, 60, worked at AFP's Gaza office, and shared the experience of his journalist colleagues, calling the situation "catastrophic". "I prefer death over this life," he said. "We have no strength left; we're exhausted and collapsing. Enough is enough."