
Riley Gaines calls on NCAA to amend Lia Thomas' records after UPenn submits to Trump on issue
Thomas won the 500-yard freestyle at the 2022 NCAA championships with a time of 4:33.24.
Thomas also finished in the top 10 in a number of other events, denying higher finishes to female competitors. While UPenn has wiped those records from its books, Thomas' finishes still stand nationally.
Former University of Kentucky swimmer and OutKick host Riley Gaines, who tied for fifth place against Thomas in that year's 200-yard freestyle, is leading a lawsuit against the NCAA for its policies that allowed Thomas to compete. One of the demands in Gaines' lawsuit is that the NCAA rescind all of Thomas' championship finishes.
Fox News Digital has reached out to the NCAA inquiring if and when it plans to make any changes to Thomas' 2022 championship finishes but has not received a response.
Gaines sent a message to the NCAA about this issue during an interview on "Dont @ Me With Dan Dakich" Wednesday.
"While the Ivy League, the University of Pennsylvania will have to rescind his records from their account and their record boards, the NCAA, as I understand it, does not have to. So, we will see what the NCAA does," Gaines said.
Gaines doesn't expect the NCAA will amend those records willingly.
"These 'leaders,' if you will, have remained spineless and weak-kneed and morally bankrupt and just total cowards over the last three years," Gaines said.
At an April 18 press conference, while discussing Maine's defiance on the issue, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt asserted President Donald Trump's order and Title IX as federal law, noting that violators could be "prosecuted."
Gaines previously told Fox News Digital she would support prosecution as a response to the issue.
"I would love to see prosecution because I believe what is happening is criminal," Gaines said. "The way that we have been told that a man's feelings matter more than our physical safety, than our rights to participate, to call ourselves champions, I believe that is a criminal action. Therefore, I believe it is a criminal offense.
"Someone somewhere has to be made an example of, otherwise you will have the woman-hating Democratic Party continue with full steam ahead. … I believe university officials should be charged."
Follow Fox News Digital's sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles
Yahoo
8 minutes ago
- Yahoo
Tesla stock sinks as Trump threatens to cut subsidies across Musk's sprawling empire
Tesla stock (TSLA) sank 5% Tuesday as the feud between CEO Elon Musk and President Trump reignited, with the president once again threatening to cut government subsidies across Elon Musk's businesses, including Tesla and SpaceX ( "Elon may get more subsidy than any human being in history, by far, and without subsidies, Elon would probably have to close up shop and head back home to South Africa," Trump wrote on his social media platform, Truth Social, early Tuesday. "No more Rocket launches, Satellites, or Electric Car Production, and our Country would save a FORTUNE," Trump added. "Perhaps we should have DOGE take a good, hard, look at this? BIG MONEY TO BE SAVED!!!" Read more about Tesla's stock moves and today's market action. The threats followed Musk's criticism of Trump's "big, beautiful" tax and spending bill over the weekend after the Senate advanced it with last-minute changes that would eliminate electric vehicle tax credits — which benefit Tesla customers — earlier than expected and add $1 trillion to the bill's original price tag. The megabill was passed by the Senate on Tuesday, bringing it one step closer to becoming law. Its provision ending the EV credit would cut an estimated $1.2 billion from Tesla's annual profit. Meanwhile, SpaceX has received more than $21 billion in federal contracts, according to US spending data. In one of his series of posts on his own platform, X, Musk called the bill "utterly insane and destructive [with] handouts to industries of the past while severely damaging industries of the future." Musk's critiques continued into the trading week, with the tech mogul proposing the formation of a new political party for the second time last month. Tesla shares dropped 1.9% Monday as the Senate began voting on amendments to the bill in what's called a vote-a-rama, which dragged into Tuesday morning. Late Monday night, Musk posted an AI-generated image of Pinocchio with the word 'liar' stamped across it, writing: 'Anyone who campaigned on the PROMISE of REDUCING SPENDING , but continues to vote on the BIGGEST DEBT ceiling increase in HISTORY will see their face on this poster in the primary next year.' Trump's Truth Social post threatening subsidies on Musk's empire followed just a few hours later. 'Elon Musk knew, long before he so strongly Endorsed me for President, that I was strongly against the EV Mandate,' the president wrote. The barbs revived a feud between the world's two most powerful men in early June that erased more than $150 billion in value from Tesla in a single day. Those exchanges last month saw Trump and Musk trade a wide array of insults on social media, exposing the risk of the electric vehicle stock's "Musk premium." Musk has been highly critical of Trump's "big, beautiful" bill since he left his role in D.C. running the newly created federal agency DOGE, the Department of Government Efficiency, which aimed but ultimately failed to eliminate government debt with highly controversial spending cuts. 'The jabs between Musk and Trump will continue as the Budget rolls through Congress but Tesla investors want Musk to focus on driving Tesla and stop this political angle ... which has turned into a life of its own in a roller coaster ride since the November elections,' Wedbush analyst Dan Ives wrote in a note to clients Tuesday morning. 'At the end of the day being on Trump's bad side will not turn out well ... and Musk knows this and Tesla investors want this back and forth to end,' Ives wrote. Also driving Tesla shares down Tuesday, fresh data showed Tesla's sales dropped for the sixth straight month in Sweden and Denmark in June. The company is set to report overall global deliveries on Wednesday. Wall Street expects deliveries to slide 11% from the prior year. Laura Bratton is a reporter for Yahoo Finance. Follow her on Bluesky @ Email her at
Yahoo
9 minutes ago
- Yahoo
Judge blocks Trump's rule barring migrants at US-Mexico border from claiming asylum
A federal judge blocked a Trump administration policy barring migrants who cross the US-Mexico border from seeking asylum, issuing a major blow to President Donald Trump, who has sought to seal off access to protections on the border. In a sharply worded decision issued Wednesday, US District Judge Randolph Moss found that the administration overstepped its authority by bypassing immigration law. 'The President cannot adopt an alternative immigration system, which supplants the statutes that Congress has enacted,' Moss wrote. The ruling – targeting a signature element of Trump's agenda – comes as the administration touts low border crossings. Current and former Homeland Security officials have previously cited the clampdown on the US southern border as contributing to a sharp decline in unlawful crossings. In June, the US Border Patrol recorded just over 6,000 encounters, according to federal data. Earlier this year, immigrant rights advocates, including the American Civil Liberties Union, Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center and Florence Immigrant & Refugee Rights Project, sued over a presidential proclamation that effectively shut down asylum at the southern border. The challengers argued that the proclamation endangered thousands of lives by preventing people from seeking refuge in the US. The lawsuit tested whether presidential power can override protections guaranteed by Congress for people fleeing persecution and marked one of the most sweeping efforts by the Trump administration to restrict immigration. 'This an enormous victory for those fleeing danger and the rule of law,' said ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt. 'The court properly recognized that the president cannot simply ignore laws passed by Congress.' The judge said that neither immigration statutes nor the Constitution give the president power to unilaterally deny access to asylum for people who have already entered the US, no matter how they arrived. 'Nothing in the (Immigration and Nationality Act) or the Constitution grants the President or his delegees the sweeping authority asserted in the Proclamation and implementing guidance,' the ruling states. Moss stayed his decision for 14 days. The administration is expected to appeal. In a statement to CNN, Department of Homeland Security spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin cast Moss as a 'rogue district judge,' and said she expected the administration to be vindicated by a higher court. 'The President secured the border in historic fashion by using every available legal tool provided by Congress. Today, a rogue district judge took those tools away, threatening the safety and security of Americans and ignoring a Supreme Court decision issued only days earlier admonishing district courts for granting nationwide injunctions,' she said. White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller also blasted the ruling. 'To try to circumvent the Supreme Court ruling on nationwide injunctions a marxist judge has declared that all potential FUTURE illegal aliens on foreign soil (eg a large portion of planet earth) are part of a protected global 'class' entitled to admission into the United States,' Miller said in a post on X. 'The West will not survive if our sovereignty is not restored,' Miller added in another post. The Trump administration argued that the president has broad authority under federal law to suspend the entry of people deemed detrimental to US interest – especially in what it described as a national security and public health emergency at the border. Tensions flared during oral arguments in April in a packed federal courtroom in Washington, DC. DOJ lawyers argued that the proclamation was unreviewable under the immigration statutes in question. Moss pressed that argument, at one point posing a hypothetical: Would a presidential order to shoot migrants at the border be legally immune from judicial review? DOJ attorney Drew Ensign acknowledged that such an order would raise constitutional issues, but hesitated to say what legal limits might apply—drawing a pointed rebuke from the bench. The plaintiffs had highlighted that at least two of their clients had already been deported under the policy. While those individuals had expressed a desire to seek asylum, government attorneys argued that they had not established an imminent intent to file claims – raising further questions about who the policy actually applied to and how it was enforced. This story has been updated with additional developments.
Yahoo
12 minutes ago
- Yahoo
George Costanza, $3K Caitlin Clark Rookie Royalty Breaks & the $80 Popcorn Bucket Craze
ARLINGTON, TEXAS - JUNE 27: Caitlin Clark #22 of the Indiana Fever reacts to a score during the first half of a game against the Dallas Wings at American Airlines Center on June 27, 2025 in Dallas, Texas. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by) Metz here again, filling in for our glorious leader. This past week had everyone asking the same question: will the Houston Rockets win the 2026 NBA Finals in four games or five? No? Just me? Anyway… Durant's arrival on the Rockets gives him the card collector's equivalent of a rainbow. Naturally, we had to dig in and find his best cards from each of his teams. The other thing I couldn't stop thinking about was how mispriced Panini's Rookie Royalty set was, dropping all the way from a $30,000 starting price to around $3,000. As a huge Caitlin Clark fan and WNBA collector, I'd love to buy in, but I can't even afford a break, let alone a full box. Break pricing for Rookie Royalty spots is popping up on various apps, and it looks like some shops are splitting two-card boxes into up to 58 spots, perhaps the worst odds to hit of all time. Still, with multiple Caitlin Clark cards selling for six figures in the last few weeks alone, a few people are going to have their lives changed by this product in the next few weeks — if not already. With that off my chest, let's dive into some of the other news we found interesting this week. Remember that crazy-looking Dune 2 sandworm popcorn bucket? The one that kinda looked like a… uhh... yeah. Well, it's kicked off an entirely new line of collectibles. It's popular on both sides of the spectrum. Designer groups are begging theaters to let them create something iconic, and moviegoers are begging to own them. These novelty containers cost anywhere from twenty-five to eighty dollars and sell out on opening weekend, if not opening day. Fans even camp outside theaters for midnight shows, hoping to snag limited runs that later fetch hundreds on eBay. Do you own any popcorn buckets? We would love to see them on Mantel. There's something utterly 2025 about a white hedge-fund billionaire dropping the average person's dinner money on Lincoln's 13th Amendment. If it belongs in a museum, odds are it'll fetch a small fortune at auction later this year. Remember when a Twitter crypto community tried to buy the Constitution and mint it into a coin? Well, this is the same guy who outbid them and spoiled everyone's fun. So if you ever unearth a piece of American history in your grandfather's basement, tuck it away, one day a billionaire might be willing to pay handsomely for it. A ballpark bobblehead taps into the sports fan inside us all. It's a time-honored tradition even your parents remember fondly. But today's collectors want more than a run-of-the-mill player figure. No doubt, the Yankees front office knew this would be a smash hit the second it was suggested. Jason Alexander cards (yes, George Costanza himself) fly off the auction block and are nearly impossible to track down . They fetch high prices for the same reason Netflix's 'Pieces of Shit for Breakfast' cereal boxes from Fanatics Fest sell for $40 bucks on eBay . Millennials love nostalgia and they love collecting. MLB All-Star voting resumed Monday, and while Ohtani and Judge are locks, the real market movers may be the breakout stars. Pete Crow-Armstrong's 1st Bowman Draft auto has jumped from around $300 to $550 this season, and a big All-Star performance could make the perfect time to sell. Jacob Wilson's Chrome 1st auto surged 218% in three months, making his red rookie a bargain entry at $50-$60 IF he wins ROY. Keep an eye on Acuña Jr for a Home Run Derby spike, and don't sleep on Javier Báez's redemption narrative fueling his rookie autos. Collectible Grading Authority, best known for its AFA toy grading and VGA video game grading, just passed into new hands, led by Kenner Star Wars toy guru Tom Derby. In 2025, as graded collectibles soar in value, reliable authentication has never mattered more. CGA, spun out of Diamond Comics' bankruptcy, will stay in Georgia with its expert team and aims to expand services and innovate grading standards. For toy and game collectors, this means greater stability and confidence when investing in rare pieces. If you are a toy and game collector, you should be thrilled with this news. Now for some business. We are always looking for ways to improve Mantel and we want YOU to be a part of it. Please take our latest feedback survey and help shape the future of Mantel.