logo
Syria says pulling troops from Druze heartland after US request

Syria says pulling troops from Druze heartland after US request

LeMonde17 hours ago
Syria announced that its army had begun to withdraw from violence-hit Sweida on Wednesday, July 16, following a wave of Israeli strikes on the capital and a US call for government forces to leave the majority-Druze southern city. The United States, which is a close ally with Israel and has been trying to reboot its relationship with Syria, said an agreement had been reached to restore calm in the area, and urged "all parties to deliver on the commitments they have made."
The Syrian government earlier announced a new ceasefire in Sweida that would bring a halt to military operations there, after clashes that a war monitor said had left more than 300 people dead since Sunday. The Syrian army "has begun withdrawing from the city of Sweida in implementation of the terms of the adopted agreement, after the end of the sweep of the city for outlaw groups," a defense ministry statement said.
The statement did not mention any withdrawal of other government security forces, which had deployed to the city on Tuesday with the stated aim of overseeing a previous truce agreed with Druze community leaders following days of deadly fighting with local Bedouin tribes.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor said that the violence in Sweida province had left more than 300 people dead, including government forces, local fighters and 27 Druze civilians killed in "summary executions." The Syrian presidency vowed to investigate the "heinous acts" in Sweida and to punish "all those proven to be involved."
Damascus strikes
Israel, which has its own Druze community, has presented itself as a defender of the group, although some analysts say that is a pretext for pursuing its own military goal of keeping Syrian government forces as far from their shared frontier as possible.
Following the fall of Syria's longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad in December, the Israeli military took control of the UN-monitored demilitarized zone in the Golan Heights and conducted hundreds of strikes on military targets in Syria.
After carrying out air strikes in Sweida province earlier this week in what it said was defense of the Druze, Israel launched a series of attacks on the capital Damascus on Wednesday. AFP images showed the side of a building in the defense ministry complex in ruins after one strike, as smoke billowed over the area.
Israel said it had also struck a "military target" in the area of the presidential palace, while a Syrian interior ministry source reported strikes outside the capital in "the vicinity of the Mazzeh (military) airport."
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz called on Damascus to "leave the Druze in Sweida alone," and threatened to unleash "painful blows" until government forces pulled back. Syria's foreign ministry slammed the attacks as a "dangerous escalation," while Israel's military chief insisted his forces were "acting with responsibility, restraint and sound judgment."
The Syrian health ministry said that at least three people were killed and 34 wounded in the strikes on Damascus.
Halt to Sweida operations
Announcing the new ceasefire on Wednesday, Syria's interior ministry said there would be a "total and immediate halt to all military operations," as well as the formation of a committee comprising government representatives and Druze spiritual leaders to supervise its implementation. An AFP correspondent in Sweida, however, reported hearing gunfire in the city even after the announcement.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio had expressed concern on Wednesday about the Israeli bombings, adding "we want it to stop."
A State Department spokesperson said Washington was also asking Syria to "withdraw their military in order to enable all sides to de-escalate."
Rubio later announced on X that all sides had "agreed on specific steps that will bring this troubling and horrifying situation to an end."
"This will require all parties to deliver on the commitments they have made and this is what we fully expect them to do," he wrote, without elaborating on the nature of the agreement.
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Israeli strike on Gaza's only Catholic church kills two, pope 'deeply saddened'
Israeli strike on Gaza's only Catholic church kills two, pope 'deeply saddened'

LeMonde

time2 hours ago

  • LeMonde

Israeli strike on Gaza's only Catholic church kills two, pope 'deeply saddened'

The Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem said an Israeli strike on Gaza's only Catholic church killed two people on Thursday, July 17, as Israel said it "never targets" religious sites and was investigating what happened. "With deep sorrow the Latin Patriarchate can now confirm that two persons were killed as a result of an apparent strike by the Israeli army that hit the Holy Family Compound this morning," the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem said in a statement. "We pray for the rest of their souls and for the end of this barbaric war. Nothing can justify the targeting of innocent civilians." The Catholic charity Caritas Jerusalem said the parish's 60-year-old janitor and an 84-year-old woman receiving psychosocial support inside a Caritas tent in the church compound were killed in the attack. Parish priest Gabriel Romanelli, who was close to the late Pope Francis, was also injured. Pope Leo XIV said he was "deeply saddened" by the attack and renewed calls for a ceasefire. "His Holiness Pope Leo XIV was deeply saddened to learn of the loss of life and injury caused by the military attack on the Holy Family Church in Gaza" and "renews his calls for an immediate ceasefire," read a statement sent by the Vatican's Secretary of State in the pope's name. Israel said it expressed "deep sorrow over the damage to the Holy Family Church in Gaza City and over any civilian casualty," adding that the military was investigating. "Israel never targets churches or religious sites and regrets any harm to a religious site or to uninvolved civilians," the foreign ministry said on X. The church was sheltering both Christians and Muslims, including a number of children with disabilities, according to Fadel Naem, acting director of Al-Ahli Hospital, which received the wounded. At least two people were in critical condition. Others injured included one child with disabilities, two women and an elderly person, Naem said. About 1,000 people of the Gaza Strip's two million residents are Christians. Most of them are Orthodox, but according to the Latin Patriarchate, there are about 135 Catholics in the territory. The deaths at the church compound come as Gaza's civil defense agency reported at least 20 people dead in other Israeli strikes around the Palestinian territory.

French court orders release of Lebanese militant who killed diplomats
French court orders release of Lebanese militant who killed diplomats

Euronews

time2 hours ago

  • Euronews

French court orders release of Lebanese militant who killed diplomats

A French court ordered the conditional release of a Lebanese pro-Palestinian communist militant on Thursday after more than 40 years in detention in France. Georges Ibrahim Abdallah was serving a life sentence for complicity in the murders of two diplomats, one American and one Israeli, in Paris in 1982. The Paris Court of Appeal ruled Abdallah, who has been imprisoned in France since his arrest in 1984, can be released next Friday on the condition that he leaves France and never returns, judicial authorities said. His lawyer, Jean-Louis Chalanset, told reporters that Abdallah wants to return to Lebanon upon his release and remains "a communist militant who supports the Palestinian struggle and fights against the invasion of his country by Israel." He described Abdallah as the longest-held political prisoner in Europe. "He has never renounced his convictions," Chalanset said, adding that US authorities had lobbied the Paris court to reject the 74-year-old's release request. "So it's also a political victory, even after nearly 41 years in detention, against the United States." 'Political scandal' Abdallah's lawyer Jean-Louis Chalanset welcomed the decision, saying "It's both a judicial victory and a political scandal that he was not released earlier." A French court ordered Abdallah's release in November last year, conditional on him leaving France. But anti-terror prosecutors opposed the move, arguing that he had not changed his political views and appealed the decision which was subsequently suspended. A verdict was supposed to have been delivered in February, but a Paris appeals court postponed a decision, saying it was unclear if Abdallah could prove he had paid compensation to the plaintiffs, something he has consistently refused to do. Abdallah has always refused to acknowledge his involvement in the assassinations of the diplomats, describing them instead as "acts of resistance" against "Israeli and American oppression" and considering himself a political prisoner. He was sentenced to life in prison in 1987 for his involvement in the murders of US military US military attaché Charles Robert Ray and Israeli diplomat Yacov Barsimantov. At the last hearing on 19 June, the appeals court ruled in favour of his release on the grounds that the length of his detention was "disproportionate" to the crimes committed. The court said his release will allow him to return to Lebanon and "finish his days" in his village in the north of the country, adding that he no longer posed a risk of disturbing public order.

Israeli strike on Gaza Catholic church kills two and Injures several
Israeli strike on Gaza Catholic church kills two and Injures several

Euronews

time2 hours ago

  • Euronews

Israeli strike on Gaza Catholic church kills two and Injures several

At least two people were killed and several others were injured after the Holy Family Church in northern Gaza was hit by an Israeli strike on Thursday morning, Catholic Church officials said. Two people who were in critical condition later succumbed to their injuries, the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem told Euronews. "With deep sorrow, the Latin Patriarchate can now confirm that two persons were killed as a result of an apparent strike by the Israeli army that hit the Holy Family Compound this morning," the seat of the Latin patriarch of Jerusalem said. "We pray for the rest of their souls and for the end of this barbaric war. Nothing can justify the targeting of innocent civilians," it added. The Catholic charity Caritas Jerusalem said the two victims were the parish's 60-year-old janitor and an 84-year-old woman receiving psychosocial support inside a Caritas tent in the church compound. The church in Deir Al was sheltering civilians, including a number of children with disabilities, according to Fadel Naem, acting director of Al-Ahli Hospital, which received the wounded. Others injured included one child with disabilities, two women and an elderly person, Naem said. Among the injured was Father Gabriel Romanelli, the parish priest known for his daily conversations with the late Pope Francis. Over the course of the last 18 months of his life, Pope Francis would call Romanelli to see how the faithful and those sheltering in the church were coping with the war. The building of the only Catholic church in the Strip was damaged in the attack, officials said, in what witnesses said appeared to be an Israeli tank shelling. Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has slammed Israel for the strike. 'The attacks on the civilian population that Israel has been demonstrating for months are unacceptable. No military action can justify such an attitude,' Meloni said. The Israeli military said it was aware of the damage caused to the church and is investigating. The Israeli military said it 'makes every feasible effort to mitigate harm to civilians and civilian structures, including religious sites, and regrets any damage caused to them.' Israel accuses Hamas militants of operating from civilian areas. Meanwhile, the Israeli Foreign Ministry issued a formal apology for the strike. 'Israel expresses deep sorrow over the damage to the Holy Family Church in Gaza City and over any civilian casualty,' the ministry said in a post on social media. Some 1,000 Christians live in Gaza, according to the US State Department's international religious freedom report for 2024. The majority of Palestinian Christians are Eastern Orthodox, but faithful of other Christian denominations such as Catholics also live in the Strip, according to the report. Separately, another person was killed and 17 injured Thursday in a strike which hit two schools sheltering displaced people in the Al-Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza, according to Al-Awda Hospital. The Israeli military did not immediately comment on the strike. The strikes come as Israel and Hamas continue talks for a ceasefire in Gaza, though little progress has been made. Indirect negotiations in Qatar between Israel and Hamas are at a standstill after 21 months of war, which began when Hamas-led militants attacked southern Israel on 7 October 2023, killing some 1,200 people and abducting 251. Fifty hostages are still being held, although fewer than half of them are believed to be alive. Israel's retaliatory offensive has killed over 58,000 Palestinians, according to the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry, which does not distinguish between civilians and combatants in its tally.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store