Latest news with #VanessaMcKinlay


Telegraph
20 hours ago
- Telegraph
Boy, 10, died of head injuries in school bus crash
Vanessa McKinlay, the assistant coroner for Somerset, read the evidence of identification from Ben Batley, the coroner's officer. 'He was aged 10 at the time of his death and he was a student,' the statement said. 'Oliver's death was confirmed at 5pm on July 17 by the attending paramedic at the A396 at Timberscombe, near Minehead. 'The brief circumstances of the death are that Oliver was a student of Minehead Middle School who was being taken back to Minehead by coach with a number of other children and staff having been on a trip to Exmoor Zoo. 'The coach came off the A396 road at Timberscombe into a steep wooded area. 'Oliver was found seated in the coach with his seat belt on. His death was confirmed by the attending paramedic. 'Oliver's provisional cause of death is head injury pending results of laboratory investigations.' Inquest to resume in the new year Ms McKinlay said the inquest has been listed to resume on January 14 with a one-day hearing to involve evidence from witnesses including the adult passengers on the coach, other witnesses, the coach driver, and specialist collision investigators and vehicle examiners. 'The likely scope of the inquest will be the events of the day prior to the coach leaving the road, the circumstances in which the coach left the road and Oliver's medical cause of death,' Ms McKinlay said. 'I would like to close by offering my condolences to Oliver's family.' The short hearing was only attended by members of the media. A number of children involved in the crash were discharged from hospital over the weekend, while two children and three adults remain in hospital. Online fundraisers for those affected have raised more than £25,000. The coach was recovered on Saturday and will now be subject to a detailed examination by experts.


Daily Mail
a day ago
- Daily Mail
Boy, 10, killed in school coach crash was found still strapped into his seat with fatal head injuries, inquest hears
A 10-year-old schoolboy killed when his school coach crashed died from a head injury - and he was discovered still strapped into his seat, a coroner has revealed. Oliver Price was found inside the overturned 70-seater bus transporting pupils and teachers from Minehead Middle School in Somerset last Thursday. At the opening of an inquest into Oliver's death in Wells, Somerset, this morning, a statement was read by Vanessa McKinlay, assistant coroner for Somerset. The words on behalf of Coroner's Investigator Ben Batley told how Oliver had been pronounced dead at the scene at 5pm by paramedics and was identified to police by his father Matthew. The crash happened between Wheddon Cross and Timberscombe at about 3.15pm on July 17. The coach left the road, overturned and came to rest about 20ft down a steep slope. An off-duty firefighter travelling behind the vehicle was able to start freeing passengers immediately. Ms McKinlay, opening the inquest today, said: 'Oliver was a student at Minehead Middle School and on 17th July was being taken back to Minehead by coach with a number of other children and staff. 'The coach came off the road and into a steep wooded area. Oliver was found seated with his seatbelt on. His provisional cause of death was a head injury.' Ms McKinlay adjourned the inquest until January 14 next year when Oliver's family, the coach driver, adult passengers on the coach, eyewitnesses, police, fire service, paramedics and a pathologist will be called to give evidence. She added: 'I'd like to close by offering my condolences to Oliver's family.' At least 21 other pupils and staff were injured when the coach slid off the A396 in Exmoor, Somerset, at 3pm last Thursday. The vehicle was carrying Year 5 pupils back from an end-of-year trip to Exmoor Zoo. A major incident was declared and a significant emergency service response began. A family liaison officer has kept Oliver's parents updated as the investigation continues. Meanwhile, floral tributes have been left outside the child's school. Chief Superintendent Mark Edgington said: 'Our thoughts are first and foremost with Oliver's family at what must be an unimaginably difficult time. We will continue to make sure they're updated. 'Our investigation is now well underway with officers working tirelessly to find out what caused it. This work is likely to take some time and we're asking for patience while these enquiries take place. 'Over the last few days we have been working closely with our partner agencies and the school to ensure support is in place for anyone who might need it. 'We are extremely grateful for all the support that's been received locally. This clearly shows how special and close-knit this community is. 'I would like to also thank all the emergency services and voluntary groups who responded for their support as well as everyone in our hospitals who continue to help those who were injured.' Rachel Gilmour, MP for Tiverton and Minehead, described the fatal school coach crash as 'tragic' and said she was 'heartbroken for the parents and the school and the wider family'. She told BBC Breakfast the coach was coming from Exmoor Zoo, when it came off the road and went down a 20ft slope, adding that it was 'pretty catastrophic'. Asked about the area, Ms Gilmour said: 'It's a very difficult road, very, very steep, very windy, and it's just the nature of rural roads in my constituency, you know, Minehead famously, only has one road that takes you into it on the A39 and if you're coming from where I live in Bampton or across the Moor, those are the roads that you have to use.' Ms Gilmour praised the 'fabulous job' by the emergency services, adding: 'We've been told up to 20 ambulances went to the scene, three air ambulances, obviously paramedics, police, firemen, you know, just deeply grateful to our emergency services and just heartbroken for the parents and the school and the wider family.' She said she visited Minehead Middle School recently and hailed it as a 'fantastic school' with a 'great headmistress'. One of the school's teachers posted on Facebook: 'My amazing students, I couldn't be prouder of all of you, how incredibly brave you have been. 'You have looked after each in what was a life-changing event, we will get through this together. 'I feel so lucky to be your teacher. I am so grateful to my wonderful colleagues during this time who were also fighting to help as many people as we could. 'My deepest condolences to all parents, carers, family and friends involved.'


The Sun
a day ago
- The Sun
Boy, 10, killed in coach crash on way back from school trip to zoo found still strapped in seat by belt, inquest told
A BOY killed in a coach crash on the way back from a school trip to the zoo was found still strapped in his seat by his belt, an inquest heard. Oliver Price, ten, was killed when the vehicle left the road in Minehead, Somerset, overturned and slid down a 20ft slope. 2 Police said two other children and three adults remain in hospital following the horror earlier this month. An inquest opening into Oliver's death today heard how he suffered a fatal head injury. Vanessa McKinlay, the assistant coroner for Somerset, said: "Oliver's death was confirmed at 5pm on July 17 by the attending paramedic at the A396 at Timberscombe, near Minehead. "The brief circumstances of the death are that Oliver was a student of Minehead Middle School who was being taken back to Minehead by coach with a number of other children and staff having been on a trip to Exmoor Zoo. "The coach came off the A396 road at Timberscombe into a steep wooded area. "Oliver was found seated in the coach with his seat belt on. His death was confirmed by the attending paramedic. "Oliver's provisional cause of death is head injury pending results of laboratory investigations." The inquest was adjourned ahead of a full hearing on January 14. Witnesses will include adult passengers, the coach driver, and specialist collision investigators and vehicle examiners. Ms McKinlay said: "The likely scope of the inquest will be the events of the day prior to the coach leaving the road, the circumstances in which the coach left the road and Oliver's medical cause of death. "I would like to close by offering my condolences to Oliver's family." Up to 70 pupils and staff from Minehead Middle School were returning from a trip to Exmoor Zoo when the crash unfolded. A hero off-duty firefighter travelling behind the coach rushed over to free passengers immediately after the horror. The vehicle is now subject to a detailed examination by experts. Chief Superintendent Mark Edgington said: 'Our thoughts are first and foremost with Oliver's family at what must be an unimaginably difficult time. We will continue to make sure they're updated. 'Our investigation is now well underway with officers working tirelessly to find out what caused it. This work is likely to take some time and we're asking for patience while these enquiries take place. 'Over the last few days we have been working closely with our partner agencies and the school to ensure support is in place for anyone who might need it. 'We are extremely grateful for all the support that's been received locally. This clearly shows how special and close-knit this community is. 'I would like to also thank all the emergency services and voluntary groups who responded for their support as well as everyone in our hospitals who continue to help those who were injured.' Minehead Middle School's website stated that pupils in that year group (aged nine to 10) were due to visit the zoo as part of the school's "Enrichment Week" activities. Ridlers Coaches director Peter Prior-Sankey said previously: "Everyone at Ridlers is truly devastated by yesterday's tragic incident and our thoughts and prayers remain with the pupils, their families, and the school. "Our thanks go to the incredible emergency service teams for their response, and to those across our local hospitals and community who have done so much for those impacted over the last 24 hours. "I can confirm that the driver is himself in a stable condition in hospital, but with a number of injuries. We are in contact with his wife and family, and have offered ongoing support." He added that staff at the company are being supported and he and his team are liaising with Somerset Council. 2
Yahoo
15-07-2025
- Yahoo
Landlord told to take action after electrocution
A landlord company has been told to take action after a man cut through an 11kV electricity cable and died from his injuries. Michael Ernest Kerslake, 74, was asked to cut vegetation on 7 September 2023 at Colley Lane Industrial Estate in Bridgwater which was owned by landlord company Kenny & Murphy. He decided to use a strimmer on the vegetation at the foot of an electricity pylon and cut through an 11kV electricity cable, causing an electrical explosion in which he was fatally injured. Vanessa McKinlay, assistant coroner for Somerset, said there is a risk of future deaths because there is no risk assessment in place warning workers of the electrical equipment. More news stories for Somerset Listen to the latest news for Somerset Ms McKinlay said: "During the course of the inquest the evidence revealed matters giving rise to concern. "In my opinion there is a risk that future deaths will occur unless action is taken." She added the reason for her concern is that there was no risk assessment in place warning workers on the estate of the risks of using machinery in the vicinity of electrical equipment. Kenny & Murphy no longer own the estate but they own other sites and still do not have such a risk assessment in place, she said. Addressing the company, Ms McKinlay added: "In my opinion action should be taken to prevent future deaths and I believe you have the power to take such action." Follow BBC Somerset on Facebook and X. Send your story ideas to us on email or via WhatsApp on 0800 313 4630. HM Courts & Tribunals Service


BBC News
15-07-2025
- BBC News
Landlord told to take action after death of worker in Bridgwater
A landlord company has been told to take action after a man cut through an 11kV electricity cable and died from his Ernest Kerslake, 74, was asked to cut vegetation on 7 September 2023 at Colley Lane Industrial Estate in Bridgwater which was owned by landlord company Kenny & decided to use a strimmer on the vegetation at the foot of an electricity pylon and cut through an 11kV electricity cable, causing an electrical explosion in which he was fatally McKinlay, assistant coroner for Somerset, said there is a risk of future deaths because there is no risk assessment in place warning workers of the electrical equipment. Ms McKinlay said: "During the course of the inquest the evidence revealed matters giving rise to concern. "In my opinion there is a risk that future deaths will occur unless action is taken."She added the reason for her concern is that there was no risk assessment in place warning workers on the estate of the risks of using machinery in the vicinity of electrical & Murphy no longer own the estate but they own other sites and still do not have such a risk assessment in place, she the company, Ms McKinlay added: "In my opinion action should be taken to prevent future deaths and I believe you have the power to take such action."