
‘Murdering democracy': Priyanka Gandhi slams government over Bihar SIR row; INDIA bloc protests outside Parliament
NEW DELHI: Congress MP
Priyanka Gandhi
Vadra on Tuesday criticised the ongoing Special Intensive Revision (SIR) of electoral rolls in Bihar, accusing the BJP-led government of trying to "murder democracy" ahead of the state assembly elections.
'They are murdering democracy. We have been protesting against it, and this is wrong,' Gandhi said during a protest at the Parliament premises, as quoted by news agency ANI.
Her remarks came amid a united opposition protest led by the INDIA bloc against the
Election Commission
's SIR exercise.
Several MPs, including Rahul Gandhi and Akhilesh Yadav, gathered at the Makar Dwar steps of Parliament holding placards reading 'SIR: Stealing Indian Rights' and 'Death of Democracy'.
They alleged that the revision of voter rolls was being misused to suppress votes and disenfranchise sections of the population.
Posting on X, Priyanka Gandhi accused the government of manipulating elections, first by 'inflating' the voter list in Maharashtra and now by 'removing names' in Bihar.
She labelled the SIR as a 'conspiracy to snatch the right to vote granted by the Constitution', adding, 'We stand firmly against every attempt to trample the Constitution.'
by Taboola
by Taboola
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Promoted Links
Promoted Links
You May Like
Better Sleep, Better Mornings Start Here
ResMed
Buy Now
Undo
Congress MP Imran Pratapgarhi also alleged the government wants to 'cut votes', and vowed that the issue would be raised in Parliament. 'The entire opposition is speaking on it and is united,' he said, as per ANI.
Congress MP Karti Chidambaram compared the SIR to the discriminatory Jim Crow laws of segregated America, saying it would be 'used as a tool to disenfranchise people of the minority community'.
As per news agency PTI, MPs from Congress, SP, RJD, TMC, DMK and JMM joined the protest and slammed the EC's exercise as 'vote bandi' and an attempt to 'steal elections'.
They demanded an immediate halt to the revision process.
Congress leaders Gaurav Gogoi, S Jothimani, Ranjeet Ranjan and Neeraj Dangi moved adjournment motions in both Houses, seeking a debate on the issue. However, amid loud opposition sloganeering, both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were adjourned till 2:00 pm.
Earlier in the day, a meeting of INDIA bloc leaders was held, where they resolved to press for Prime Minister Narendra Modi's presence in Parliament and discuss a range of issues, including the Pahalgam terror attack, Operation Sindoor, the AI 171 crash, and the 'civil war' in Manipur, along with Bihar's SIR row.
Congress general secretary K C Venugopal said the issues raised are directly connected to the people and 'must be given utmost priority'.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


The Hindu
10 minutes ago
- The Hindu
Delhi govt.'s move to amend labour laws will strip lakhs of workers of their rights, say experts
Trade union leaders and experts have criticised the Delhi government's move to amend at least two labour laws as part of its 'Ease of Doing Business' policy, saying the amendments will strip lakhs of workers in the city of several rights. The first pertains to changing the applicability of the Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954, to establishments with 10 or more employees. Currently, the Act, which includes several safeguards for employees, such as leaves, weekly holidays, and a month's notice for dismissal, is applicable even to establishments with one employee. The government is also planning to amend the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947, which protects workers in cases of lay-offs and closure of units employing 100 or more workers, by raising the minimum threshold of employees to 300. Directions were issued to senior officials at a review meeting on June 30, chaired by Lieutenant-Governor V.K. Saxena and attended by Chief Minister Rekha Gupta, to make these changes, said a source. However, the government is yet to release any official statement on the matter. 'No protection' Anurag Saxena, CITU general secretary (Delhi), said introducing a threshold in the law will leave employees working in smaller establishments without any protection. 'Right now, if a person working at a small bakery or garment shop is fired illegally, he or she can file a complaint under the Act. Once the minimum threshold is increased to 10, workers at thousands of establishments with fewer than 10 employees will be placed outside the ambit of the law and left without any protection,' he said. A senior Delhi government official said once the four Labour Codes, which were passed in Parliament in 2019 and 2020, are implemented, workers in smaller establishments will be provided with 'some level of protection'. However, Mr. Saxena said, 'The labour codes could provide protection to employees in case of wages, but there is no safeguard for workers at a small establishment who are fired illegally.' Concurrent List The government is also looking to make changes to the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947, which applies to commercial units across the country, as labour is part of the Concurrent List, which includes subjects over which the Union and State governments share legislative responsibilities. Currently, the Act provides protection to workers in the event of retrenchment and closure of firms employing 100 workers or more, as prior permission is required from the government or notice is to be given for such actions. The Delhi government plans to amend the Act to cover only establishments employing 300 or more workers. Professor Surajit Mazumdar at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, Jawaharlal Nehru University, said an employee's rights do not depend on the size of the establishment. 'As things stand, many labour laws meant to protect employees are not enforced properly. And now if you remove the workers from the ambit of the law itself, the workers won't be able to even fight for their rights,' he said. The threshold in the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 has already been raised to 300 by the Bharatiya Janata Party governments in Gujarat (2021) and Assam (2018). The same change has also been proposed in the Industrial Relations Code, 2020, which is part of the four labour Codes, which have not been implemented amid resistance from labour unions across the country. Mr. Mazumdar said raising the threshold to 300 would be a way of introducing the labour Codes 'through the back door'. Gujarat had also amended the Gujarat Shops and Establishments (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 2019 (the equivalent of the Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954) six years ago to cover units employing only 10 or more workers. 'The total number of employees in establishments with less than 10 workers in Delhi, who will be affected by the change in law, will be in the range of 7 to 20 lakh and the actual figure will be closer to 15 lakh,' said Mr. Mazumdar. He used the data from the Economic Census, 2013-14 and Delhi Economic Survey 2023-24 to arrive at the conclusion. Brijesh Goyal, chairman of Chamber of Trade & Industry, said the figure will be around 18-20 lakh workers, and Sucheta De, AICCTU national vice president, said the figure will be around 15-17 lakh workers. 'The entire practice is to keep most workers outside the scope of any legal protections,' Ms. De said. When reached out, the CM's office did not offer any comment.


Time of India
25 minutes ago
- Time of India
Built for Rs 5.4cr, Bhuntar bridge in Kullu thrown open by MLA Sunder Singh Thakur
Kullu: MLA Sunder Singh Thakur on Sunday inaugurated the double-lane Bhuntar bridge constructed over the Beas river at a cost of Rs 5.38 crore. Addressing a public gathering in Bhunter, Thakur said the 40.50-metre-long double-lane bridge was constructed in record time. Tired of too many ads? go ad free now The bridge will benefit lakhs of people from the Manikaran and Gadsa valleys, as well as the farmers and horticulturists who visit the Bhunter vegetable market, he said. The Kullu legislator also announced that Rs 15 crore had been sanctioned for the embankment of the Beas river from Shamshi to Bhunter airport. Thakur criticised the opposition leaders for politicising the Bijli Mahadev Ropeway project. In the name of religious sentiments, defeated and irrelevant individuals are opposing the development of Kullu and are trying to mislead innocent locals and women against the ropeway project, he said. The Congress MLA informed that machinery worth Rs 100 crore had already been ordered for the ropeway project.


Deccan Herald
25 minutes ago
- Deccan Herald
India ready to share AI models with Global South: S Krishnan
The Indian government is open to sharing its AI models with the Global South after achieving reasonable capacity and scale, a senior government official said on Friday. While speaking at FICCI's conference Bhashantara 2025, Electronics and IT Secretary S Krishnan said that the development of technology for languages to help people communicate in a frictionless manner can lead to huge value addition to the economy. He said that the UN Under-Secretary-General, during a visit to India, had appreciated India's AI-related works. 'We had a discussion and then he said your model appears interesting. At a stage when you have adequate capacity both in terms of compute and in terms of the kind of models that you have, will you be willing to share this with the Global South? This is something that we have declared that we are open to doing and something that we will do,' Krishnan said. The Global South term refers to developing and less-developed countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America regions. The government has launched the Bhashini project for the development of AI-based language translation technology. Krishnan said most people in the country would prefer to communicate through voice as opposed to in writing. 'I think voice-based communication has a critical role to play and that is where India can truly lead. The minute you say it is voice, then it means that you have to pick it up in the language that they are most comfortable with and what they would like to speak in. This is clearly the challenge that there are a number of researchers, a number of innovators and others who are addressing nationwide,' he said. 'With more than 6 billion people globally not speaking English as their primary language and India home to 19,500 languages and dialects, data emphasised the vast commercial opportunities that lay ahead,' he said. Data said that website names in local scripts will ease communication for the vernacular masses.