logo
Major energy providers confirm price hikes up to 13.5 per cent

Major energy providers confirm price hikes up to 13.5 per cent

The Advertiser27-06-2025
Three of Australia's largest energy retailers have confirmed price hikes that could cost families between $31 and $261 per year.
The three retailers, Origin, AGL and EnergyAustralia, supply more than 60 per cent of the Australian electricity market and will lift prices between July 1 and September 1, 2025.
The announcement follows a decision by regulators in May to increase the default price offers that seek to stop gouging through setting benchmark prices.
Prices vary between different states and retailers, and so does when the increases occur.
Origin and AGL lift prices on July 1 in NSW, Qld and SA. Origin, AGL and EnergyAustralia increase prices on August 1 in Vic, ACT and NSW. Energy Australia will increase prices in Qld and SA on September 1.
Canstar Blue data insights director Sally Tindall said the increases were not what most hoped for and would not be limited to the three major providers.
"For the average household, they're looking at price hikes of between $31 and $261 a year, however, for bigger families, they could well be looking at hikes that are double this," Ms Tindall said.
"We expect the majority of providers will be hiking their energy rates over the next couple of months on the back of increased network, wholesale and admin costs."
The federal government had extended energy bill rebates until the end of in the 2025 budget.
Earlier in June, Climate Change and Energy Minister Chris Bowen was set to tell a energy conference that reform to the default market system wasn't working as it was intended and "reform is needed".
"It's difficult to defend the DMO when the customer is required to do the deal hunting," the minister's speech said.
"The longer expensive coal and gas keep setting the price, the longer bills will be higher than they should be."
READ MORE: 'I don't think it's working': electricity bill pricing set for overhaul
To find any rebates available to you, visit www.energy.gov.au/rebates.
Three of Australia's largest energy retailers have confirmed price hikes that could cost families between $31 and $261 per year.
The three retailers, Origin, AGL and EnergyAustralia, supply more than 60 per cent of the Australian electricity market and will lift prices between July 1 and September 1, 2025.
The announcement follows a decision by regulators in May to increase the default price offers that seek to stop gouging through setting benchmark prices.
Prices vary between different states and retailers, and so does when the increases occur.
Origin and AGL lift prices on July 1 in NSW, Qld and SA. Origin, AGL and EnergyAustralia increase prices on August 1 in Vic, ACT and NSW. Energy Australia will increase prices in Qld and SA on September 1.
Canstar Blue data insights director Sally Tindall said the increases were not what most hoped for and would not be limited to the three major providers.
"For the average household, they're looking at price hikes of between $31 and $261 a year, however, for bigger families, they could well be looking at hikes that are double this," Ms Tindall said.
"We expect the majority of providers will be hiking their energy rates over the next couple of months on the back of increased network, wholesale and admin costs."
The federal government had extended energy bill rebates until the end of in the 2025 budget.
Earlier in June, Climate Change and Energy Minister Chris Bowen was set to tell a energy conference that reform to the default market system wasn't working as it was intended and "reform is needed".
"It's difficult to defend the DMO when the customer is required to do the deal hunting," the minister's speech said.
"The longer expensive coal and gas keep setting the price, the longer bills will be higher than they should be."
READ MORE: 'I don't think it's working': electricity bill pricing set for overhaul
To find any rebates available to you, visit www.energy.gov.au/rebates.
Three of Australia's largest energy retailers have confirmed price hikes that could cost families between $31 and $261 per year.
The three retailers, Origin, AGL and EnergyAustralia, supply more than 60 per cent of the Australian electricity market and will lift prices between July 1 and September 1, 2025.
The announcement follows a decision by regulators in May to increase the default price offers that seek to stop gouging through setting benchmark prices.
Prices vary between different states and retailers, and so does when the increases occur.
Origin and AGL lift prices on July 1 in NSW, Qld and SA. Origin, AGL and EnergyAustralia increase prices on August 1 in Vic, ACT and NSW. Energy Australia will increase prices in Qld and SA on September 1.
Canstar Blue data insights director Sally Tindall said the increases were not what most hoped for and would not be limited to the three major providers.
"For the average household, they're looking at price hikes of between $31 and $261 a year, however, for bigger families, they could well be looking at hikes that are double this," Ms Tindall said.
"We expect the majority of providers will be hiking their energy rates over the next couple of months on the back of increased network, wholesale and admin costs."
The federal government had extended energy bill rebates until the end of in the 2025 budget.
Earlier in June, Climate Change and Energy Minister Chris Bowen was set to tell a energy conference that reform to the default market system wasn't working as it was intended and "reform is needed".
"It's difficult to defend the DMO when the customer is required to do the deal hunting," the minister's speech said.
"The longer expensive coal and gas keep setting the price, the longer bills will be higher than they should be."
READ MORE: 'I don't think it's working': electricity bill pricing set for overhaul
To find any rebates available to you, visit www.energy.gov.au/rebates.
Three of Australia's largest energy retailers have confirmed price hikes that could cost families between $31 and $261 per year.
The three retailers, Origin, AGL and EnergyAustralia, supply more than 60 per cent of the Australian electricity market and will lift prices between July 1 and September 1, 2025.
The announcement follows a decision by regulators in May to increase the default price offers that seek to stop gouging through setting benchmark prices.
Prices vary between different states and retailers, and so does when the increases occur.
Origin and AGL lift prices on July 1 in NSW, Qld and SA. Origin, AGL and EnergyAustralia increase prices on August 1 in Vic, ACT and NSW. Energy Australia will increase prices in Qld and SA on September 1.
Canstar Blue data insights director Sally Tindall said the increases were not what most hoped for and would not be limited to the three major providers.
"For the average household, they're looking at price hikes of between $31 and $261 a year, however, for bigger families, they could well be looking at hikes that are double this," Ms Tindall said.
"We expect the majority of providers will be hiking their energy rates over the next couple of months on the back of increased network, wholesale and admin costs."
The federal government had extended energy bill rebates until the end of in the 2025 budget.
Earlier in June, Climate Change and Energy Minister Chris Bowen was set to tell a energy conference that reform to the default market system wasn't working as it was intended and "reform is needed".
"It's difficult to defend the DMO when the customer is required to do the deal hunting," the minister's speech said.
"The longer expensive coal and gas keep setting the price, the longer bills will be higher than they should be."
READ MORE: 'I don't think it's working': electricity bill pricing set for overhaul
To find any rebates available to you, visit www.energy.gov.au/rebates.
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

US reaches new trade deal with European Union
US reaches new trade deal with European Union

AU Financial Review

time31 minutes ago

  • AU Financial Review

US reaches new trade deal with European Union

Global pharmaceutical giants, including Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson, are paying a tiny fraction of the billions of dollars they earn from drug sales in local taxes, at a time when they're lobbying US President Donald Trump to force an overhaul of Australia's Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. An analysis of earnings statements filed with the corporate regulator by five of the biggest US and European drugmakers shows the companies on average pay between 2 per cent and 4 per cent of their Australian sales in income tax. The numbers may make for uncomfortable reading for drug multinationals as they step up efforts to loosen the PBS' grip on the pricing of key medicines.

Australia news LIVE: Albanese to introduce cheaper medication bill; European Union reach 15 per cent trade deal with Trump
Australia news LIVE: Albanese to introduce cheaper medication bill; European Union reach 15 per cent trade deal with Trump

The Age

time2 hours ago

  • The Age

Australia news LIVE: Albanese to introduce cheaper medication bill; European Union reach 15 per cent trade deal with Trump

Latest posts Latest posts 6.43am Britain warns on China, backs Australia By David Crowe Britain has vowed to 'fight together' with Australia if needed in flashpoints such as the Taiwan Strait, as it steps up its warnings about threats from China, including repression, espionage and hybrid attacks. UK Defence Minister John Healey said Britain and Australia would deter enemies together by being more ready to fight, in some of his most assertive remarks about the risks to global security. The declaration to the British media came days after Healey signed a $41 billion defence treaty with Australia to accelerate the construction of the AUKUS nuclear submarines, seen as essential to countering future trade and military threats. 6.37am Australians 'frosty' on Trump and want distance from US: new polling By Matthew Knott Australians are voicing a strong desire for the country to assert more independence from the United States amid Donald Trump's turbulent presidency, with most voters saying they do not blame Prime Minister Anthony Albanese for failing to secure a meeting with the US president. The latest Resolve Political Monitor survey of more than 2300 people, conducted for this masthead, found that most Australians continue to have strongly negative views of Trump six months after he re-entered the White House. Fewer than one in five Australian voters believe Trump's election was a good outcome for Australia. 6.33am What's making news today By Daniel Lo Surdo Hello and welcome to the national news live blog. My name is Daniel Lo Surdo, and I'll be helming our live coverage this morning. Here's what is making news today: The Albanese government will continue work to execute its election promises this week, with legislation to cap the cost of Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme medicines at $25 on the agenda in the sitting second week of the new parliamentary term. Labor also plans to pass legislation to reduce student debts and enact childcare reform this week, after the respective draft laws were introduced in the first sitting week since the government's thumping election victory in May. The European Union have accepted a trade deal with US President Donald Trump that will impose a 15 per cent tariff on billions of dollars in exports, in an agreement that appears set to lift prices for American consumers and hurt sales for European exporters. The deal will also see the EU purchase $US750 billion worth of energy from US in the years ahead, in a move to reduce its reliance on Russian gas. Israel's military carried out airdrops of aid in Gaza on Sunday after Israel said it would establish humanitarian corridors for United Nations aid convoys amid international pressure over mounting reports of starvation-related deaths in Gaza. The Israeli Foreign Ministry said it would introduce 'tactical pauses' to allow for aid to be distributed, and halt activity in Muwasi, Deir al-Balah and Gaza City from 10am to 8pm every day until further notice. Australian Oscar Piastri has extended his F1 championship lead after winning the Belgian Grand Prix in a rain-interrupted race at Spa-Francorchamps overnight. Piastri started second on the grid but overtook McLaren teammate Lando Norris early in the race and held his nerve to finish atop the podium. Norris and Ferrari's Charles Leclerc joined Piastri on the dais in Belgium.

Australia news LIVE: Albanese to introduce cheaper medication bill; European Union reach 15 per cent trade deal with Trump
Australia news LIVE: Albanese to introduce cheaper medication bill; European Union reach 15 per cent trade deal with Trump

Sydney Morning Herald

time2 hours ago

  • Sydney Morning Herald

Australia news LIVE: Albanese to introduce cheaper medication bill; European Union reach 15 per cent trade deal with Trump

Latest posts Latest posts 6.43am Britain warns on China, backs Australia By David Crowe Britain has vowed to 'fight together' with Australia if needed in flashpoints such as the Taiwan Strait, as it steps up its warnings about threats from China, including repression, espionage and hybrid attacks. UK Defence Minister John Healey said Britain and Australia would deter enemies together by being more ready to fight, in some of his most assertive remarks about the risks to global security. The declaration to the British media came days after Healey signed a $41 billion defence treaty with Australia to accelerate the construction of the AUKUS nuclear submarines, seen as essential to countering future trade and military threats. 6.37am Australians 'frosty' on Trump and want distance from US: new polling By Matthew Knott Australians are voicing a strong desire for the country to assert more independence from the United States amid Donald Trump's turbulent presidency, with most voters saying they do not blame Prime Minister Anthony Albanese for failing to secure a meeting with the US president. The latest Resolve Political Monitor survey of more than 2300 people, conducted for this masthead, found that most Australians continue to have strongly negative views of Trump six months after he re-entered the White House. Fewer than one in five Australian voters believe Trump's election was a good outcome for Australia. 6.33am What's making news today By Daniel Lo Surdo Hello and welcome to the national news live blog. My name is Daniel Lo Surdo, and I'll be helming our live coverage this morning. Here's what is making news today: The Albanese government will continue work to execute its election promises this week, with legislation to cap the cost of Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme medicines at $25 on the agenda in the sitting second week of the new parliamentary term. Labor also plans to pass legislation to reduce student debts and enact childcare reform this week, after the respective draft laws were introduced in the first sitting week since the government's thumping election victory in May. The European Union have accepted a trade deal with US President Donald Trump that will impose a 15 per cent tariff on billions of dollars in exports, in an agreement that appears set to lift prices for American consumers and hurt sales for European exporters. The deal will also see the EU purchase $US750 billion worth of energy from US in the years ahead, in a move to reduce its reliance on Russian gas. Israel's military carried out airdrops of aid in Gaza on Sunday after Israel said it would establish humanitarian corridors for United Nations aid convoys amid international pressure over mounting reports of starvation-related deaths in Gaza. The Israeli Foreign Ministry said it would introduce 'tactical pauses' to allow for aid to be distributed, and halt activity in Muwasi, Deir al-Balah and Gaza City from 10am to 8pm every day until further notice. Australian Oscar Piastri has extended his F1 championship lead after winning the Belgian Grand Prix in a rain-interrupted race at Spa-Francorchamps overnight. Piastri started second on the grid but overtook McLaren teammate Lando Norris early in the race and held his nerve to finish atop the podium. Norris and Ferrari's Charles Leclerc joined Piastri on the dais in Belgium.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store