
Sri Lankan President Dissanayake to visit Maldives to boost bilateral ties
Colombo, Jul 27 (PTI) Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake will pay a three-day official visit to the Maldives to enhance cooperation between the two island nations, the foreign ministry here has announced.
The visit from July 28-30 will be at the invitation of Maldivian President Mohamed Muizzu, the ministry said in a statement on Friday.
The two presidents will hold bilateral talks to exchange several Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs).
The visit aims to boost cooperation between the Maldives and Sri Lanka in mutually beneficial areas, according to the ministry.
This will be the first visit to the Maldives by Dissanayake since being elected president in September last year.
His first visit was to India and was followed by visits to China and the UAE.
The visit marks the 60th anniversary of the establishment of formal diplomatic relations between the Maldives and Sri Lanka.
According to Foreign Minister Vijitha Herath, one of the MoUs will allow Maldivian citizens to obtain visit visas valid for up to one year. He said a substantial number of Maldivians visit Sri Lanka for health tourism.
Sri Lanka has been granting free tourist visas to Maldivians since 2023. PTI CORR GRS GRS GRS
view comments
First Published:
July 27, 2025, 13:45 IST
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users' views, not News18's. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Mint
21 minutes ago
- Mint
Over 31,500 govt employees opt for UPS till July 20: FinMin
New Delhi, Jul 28 (PTI) As many as 31,555 central government employees have opted for the Unified Pension Scheme (UPS) till July 20, and the last date to enrol under the scheme is September, Parliament was informed on Monday. In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said as on July 20, 2025, at least 7,253 claims have been received and out of which 4,978 claims have been processed for payment of benefits under UPS. From April 1, 2025, the government has introduced UPS as an option under the National Pension System (NPS) for the central government employees. UPS will provide assured payouts to the employees. In reply to a separate question in the House, Minister of State for Finance Pankaj Chaudhary said, "as on July 20, 2025, 31,555 employees have opted UPS". Further, Sitharaman said based on the representations from employees and associations, the cut-off date to opt for UPS was extended for a period of three months up to September 30, 2025. "As per eligibility criteria, there are 25,756 retired Central Government subscribers eligible to receive additional benefits under UPS," Sitharaman said. These eligible subscribers are those central government employees who have either superannuated or deceased, or retired under Fundamental Rules 56(j), on or before 31st March 2025, after completing 10 years or more of qualifying service and were covered under NPS, the minister said. The government has extended the benefit of 'Retirement gratuity and Death gratuity' under UPS. Further, the government employees who opt for UPS under NPS shall also be eligible for option for availing benefits under the CCS (Pension) Rules, 2021 or the CCS (Extraordinary Pension) Rules, 2023, in the event of death of the government servant during service or his discharge on the ground of invalidation or disablement. The government has also extended tax benefits to UPS as are available to NPS under the Income Tax Act, 1961. To a question on whether the government proposes to extend such benefits to other pension schemes or sectors in the near future, Sitharaman said, "UPS has been introduced as an option under National Pension System (NPS) for the employees of Central Government who are covered under the NPS. There is no proposal under consideration to extend such benefits to other pension schemes or sector."


Indian Express
21 minutes ago
- Indian Express
No interim stay on draft electoral roll publication in Bihar: SC asks EC to accept Aadhaar, voter ID
The Supreme Court Monday refused to stay the publication of draft electoral rolls in poll-bound Bihar, saying it would once for all decide the pleas against the Election Commission's special intensive revision (SIR) of electoral rolls, news agency PTI reported. A bench of Justices Surya Kant and Joymalya Bagchi said it would fix on July 29, the scheduled time for the final hearing of the matter, as per the report. Appearing for an NGO, senior advocate Gopal Sankaranarayanan said the electoral rolls should not be finalised in the interim, and there should be an interim stay on the publication of the draft rolls. The bench observed the last order of the top court noted the petitioners were not pressing for an interim relief and, therefore, it couldn't be done now and matter would be interpreted once for all, PTI quoted. On acceptance of Aadhaar card, voter ID in SIR The SC reiterated its suggestion to the poll panel to continue accepting Aadhaar and voter ID for the SIR exercise in Bihar in compliance with its order saying both documents had a 'presumption of genuineness'. The court said it prima facie agreed with the order of the top court and the EC accepted in its counter affidavit that Aadhaar, voter cards and ration cards were required to be accepted. 'As far as ration cards are concerned, we can say they can be forged easily but Aadhaar and voter cards have some sanctity and have presumption of genuineness. You continue accepting these documents,' the bench said. Earlier, on July 10, the SC, while declining to restrain the EC from proceeding with the SIR in Bihar, suggested the poll panel to consider Aadhaar, voter ID and ration cards for the purpose of updating the rolls. The EC, in a counter-affidavit filed in court on July 22, however, said it was its 'Constitutional authority' to determine whether the requirement of citizenship is fulfilled by electors, but citizenship of an individual will 'not terminate' on account of being held ineligible as an elector. Responding to the poll body's claim in the SC, the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR), had argued that it flies in the face of past judgments. It also called the exclusion of Aadhaar and ration cards from the list of acceptable documents 'patently absurd,' noting that Aadhaar is widely accepted when applying for passports, caste certificates, and permanent residence documents. The first phase of SIR of Bihar's electoral rolls concluded last Friday, with EC declaring about 92 per cent of 7.89 crore registered voters in the state would remain on the draft rolls to be published on August 1. About 8 per cent, or approximately 65 lakh names, are likely to be removed from the draft rolls after they were found to be either deceased, registered in more than one place, permanently migrated to another place, or untraceable, according to the EC. The Assembly elections are due to be held in Bihar later this year.


Time of India
28 minutes ago
- Time of India
Monsoon session: Was Shashi Tharoor offered a chance to speak on Operation Sindoor in Parliament? What we know
Shashi Tharoor (File photo) NEW DELHI: Senior Congress leader and MP Shashi Tharoor 's silence is making more noise than words. The Congress MP from Thiruvananthapuram, who led a delegation under India's diplomatic outreach after Pahalgam terror attack , has declined party's offer to participate in the Parliament debate on Operation Sindoor , PTI reported quoting sources. According to senior Congress leaders, Tharoor was approached by Gaurav Gogoi and K Suresh to speak during the crucial debate. "It is a practise that senior leaders are asked whether they are interested in speaking on a major issue," a senior Congress functionary told PTI. "Gaurav Gogoi and K Suresh had reached out to him and asked if he was interested in speaking during the debate on Operation Sindoor, to which he said he is not interested and would like to speak on the ports bill. " Instead of the national security discussion, Tharoor chose to speak on The Indian Ports Bill, 2025. His decision follows days of speculation, especially after his strong endorsement of the central government's handling of Operation Sindoor. His outspoken endorsement of the Centre's action post-Pahalgam and Operation Sindoor has deepened the rift with party leadership, casting uncertainty on his role in the discussion. Sponsored Links Sponsored Links Promoted Links Promoted Links You May Like US$31 trillion in wealth extracted from Indonesia during Dutch colonial rule: President Prabowo CNA Read More Undo by Taboola by Taboola Tharoor had led a diplomatic mission to the United States and countries across the Americas to rally support for India after its crossborder strikes on terror camps in Pakistan. But his praise for the government's actions appeared out of sync with the Congress party's official line, which has focused on alleged intelligence failures and the international fallout -- including US President Donald Trump 's controversial claims of mediating peace between India and Pakistan. Asked directly whether he would speak in Parliament on Operation Sindoor, Tharoor had responded cryptically to reporters outside Parliament building, saying: "Maun vrat, maun vrat."