
Trump threatens to hold up stadium deal over Washington name change
The Washington Commanders and Cleveland Guardians have had their current names since the 2022 seasons and both have said they have no plans to change them back.
Mr Trump said the Washington football team would be 'much more valuable' if it restored its old name.
'I may put a restriction on them that if they don't change the name back to the original Washington Redskins, and get rid of the ridiculous moniker, Washington Commanders, I won't make a deal for them to build a Stadium in Washington,' Mr Trump said on his social media site.
His latest interest in changing the name reflects his broader effort to roll back changes that followed a national debate on cultural sensitivity and racial justice.
The team announced it would drop the Redskins name and the Indian head logo in 2020 during a broader reckoning with systemic racism and police brutality.
The Commanders and the District of Columbia government announced a deal earlier this year to build a new home for the football team at the site the old RFK Stadium, the place the franchise called home for more than three decades.
Mr Trump's ability to hold up the deal remains to be seen. President Joe Biden signed a bill in January that transferred the land from the federal government to the District of Columbia.
The provision was part of a short-term spending bill passed by Congress in December. While DC residents elect a mayor, a city council and commissioners to run day-to-day operations, Congress maintains control of the city's budget.
Josh Harris, whose group bought the Commanders from former owner Dan Snyder in 2023, said earlier this year the name was here to stay.
Not long after taking over, Mr Harris quieted speculation about going back to Redskins, saying that would not happen. The team did not immediately respond to a request for comment following Trump's statement.
The Washington team started in Boston as the Redskins in 1933 before moving to the nation's capital four years later.
The Cleveland Guardians' president of baseball operations, Chris Antonetti, indicated before Sunday's game against the Athletics that there were not any plans to revisit the name change.
'We understand there are different perspectives on the decision we made a few years ago, but obviously it's a decision we made. We've got the opportunity to build a brand as the Guardians over the last four years and are excited about the future that's in front of us,' he said.
Cleveland announced in December 2020 it would drop Indians. It announced the switch to Guardians in July 2021. In 2018, the team phased out 'Chief Wahoo' as its primary logo.
The name changes had their share of supporters and critics as part of the national discussions about logos and names considered racist.
Mr Trump posted on Sunday afternoon that 'The Owner of the Cleveland Baseball Team, Matt Dolan, who is very political, has lost three Elections in a row because of that ridiculous name change. What he doesn't understand is that if he changed the name back to the Cleveland Indians, he might actually win an Election. Indians are being treated very unfairly. MAKE INDIANS GREAT AGAIN (MIGA)!'
Matt Dolan, the son of the late Larry Dolan, no longer has a role with the Guardians. He ran the team's charity endeavours until 2016.
Matt Dolan was a candidate in the Ohio US Senate elections in 2022 and 2024, but lost.

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


NBC News
19 minutes ago
- NBC News
DOJ seeks potential meeting with Ghislaine Maxwell amid Epstein pressure
The Justice Department has reached out to Ghislaine Maxwell's legal team about a possible meeting to gather new information, as the Trump administration faces growing political pressure from supporters demanding the release of all Epstein-related 22, 2025


Reuters
19 minutes ago
- Reuters
'I'm free now': Venezuelans held in El Salvador reunite with families
CARACAS/VALENCIA/CAPACHO, July 22 (Reuters) - A singer and a barber were among the former Venezuelan migrants who returned to their families on Tuesday, after spending months detained in a notorious prison in El Salvador before being sent back to Venezuela last week. Singer Arturo Suarez was greeted with hugs and tears in working-class El Valle, south of capital Caracas, by his sister, aunt and cousins. He later wiped away tears as he spoke to his wife and daughter, who live in Chile, via video call. "I'm free now, thank God, at last," said Suarez, who was arrested in February in North Carolina while filming a music video. He serenaded a crowd gathered in his family's living room. "I still can't believe it." The Venezuelans were sent to El Salvador from the United States in March, after U.S. President Donald Trump invoked the 1798 Alien Enemies Act to deport alleged members of the Tren de Aragua gang without normal immigration procedures. The deportations drew fierce criticism from human rights groups and a legal battle with the Trump administration. Families and lawyers of many of the men have denied they have gang ties. His wife has said Suarez had gone to the U.S. to boost his emerging music career and that he denied being a member of Tren de Aragua. "I thought of my daughter, I thought of my wife, of my siblings, of my family, I asked for strength to not give up, to not allow myself to die," Suarez told journalists about his detention. "I didn't - because I'm tough, I'm a Venezuelan." Suarez and the other detainees deported to El Salvador from the U.S. were returned to Venezuela on Friday in a prisoner exchange. Since arriving, they have been undergoing medical checks and interviews with officials. Two brothers - Darwin Hernandez, a 30-year-old barber, and 23-year-old house painter Yeison Hernandez - were arrested alongside Suarez in February. They arrived home to their parents and other family members in central Valencia on Tuesday. "I asked God only for freedom, but more than anything that my family also be alive, to be able to leave and be with them like we are now," said Darwin Hernandez, a husband and a father to a six-year-old daughter. Suarez and Hernandez both said guards at the CECOT prison told detainees they would only leave dead, and Suarez said some detainees considered suicide. Their comments tallied with other allegations of abuse made by former prisoners in videos broadcast on state television, including during a program with Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Monday night. Venezuela's attorney general said on Monday his office will investigate El Salvador President Nayib Bukele and other top officials over the alleged abuse. Bukele's office did not respond to requests for comment on the alleged torture, but he said on social media late on Monday that the Maduro government was "indignant" because they realized they no longer held "hostages from the most powerful country in the world," - a reference to ten Americans formerly held in Venezuela who were freed under the deal. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, State Department and White House did not immediately respond to comment requests. Reuters was not able to immediately confirm the abuse allegations. Eighty Venezuelan prisoners - including opposition politicians - held within Venezuela are also supposed to be released in the swap. Judicial NGO Foro Penal said on Monday it had verified 48 releases. The Venezuelan opposition has regularly critiqued the Maduro government for holding activists and others in abusive conditions within Venezuela. Andry Hernandez, a gay make-up artist who was detained at the U.S.-Mexico border during the Biden administration, had an active asylum case when he was deported to CECOT. The U.S. alleged gang membership based on his tattoos. His parents were anxiously awaiting him in Capacho, near the Colombian border, on Tuesday. "All this time I've slept badly. My wife would serve me a plate of food and I would wonder 'is he eating?'" said Hernandez's father Felipe. Hernandez, who said he suffered sexual abuse at CECOT in a video broadcast on state television on Monday, was able to call his parents to say he was on his way. His mother, Alexi Romero, says she told him she is waiting with open arms.


NBC News
an hour ago
- NBC News
Steve Kornacki: How redistricting could change the fight for the House majority
In the coming weeks, Republicans in Texas and Ohio are expected to redraw their states' congressional maps. Their intent is transparent: to bolster their party's chances of protecting its super-slim House majority in next year's midterm elections. As it stands now, there are 220 Republican districts, meaning the party can afford a net loss of no more than two seats in 2026 and still keep the House. In theory, the redistricting effort could shift as many as eight seats from the Democratic to the GOP column, although the ultimate yield will depend on how aggressive the GOP gets — and how much the courts and voters will tolerate. It could also be offset by similar measures from Democrats in blue states like California, where Gov. Gavin Newsom wants to do a redraw of his own but faces a far trickier process. Yet even if Republicans do emerge from a fresh round of redistricting with a batch of new, safe seats, it may still be woefully insufficient to keep the House, given the dramatic losses that the party in the White House often endures in midterm elections. It was during the first Trump presidency that the GOP coughed up a net 40 House seats in the 2018 midterms, easily losing control of the chamber. But the structure of the current Republican majority is much different than it was back in '18. Far fewer GOP seats now are in districts that are politically hostile to Trump and a far greater share are in politically safe Trump landslide districts. Nor are there as many marginal GOP incumbents in districts Trump carried only narrowly in the most recent presidential election. If successful, the redistricting push would amount to another big difference from 2018: It would give Republicans far more opportunities to play offense this time around. Consider the distribution of GOP losses in 2018: As you can see, there was a lot of low-hanging fruit for Democrats, who flipped 22 of the 25 Republican-held districts that Trump lost in the 2016 presidential election. They also picked up about two-thirds of the GOP seats from districts Trump had carried by relatively small margins (less than 7.5 points). But the damage for Republicans was largely limited to these two categories, though they did suffer a few upsets in solidly pro-Trump districts. Now compare the GOP majority heading into the 2018 midterms to what it looks like today, heading into 2026: A bigger share of the current House majority is politically insulated. Fully 61% of Republican seats (134 of 220) are from districts Trump carried by at least 20 points. In 2018, fewer than half of the GOP's seats were in this category. And more than 80% of GOP seats now are from districts Trump won by at least 12.5 points, compared to 66% in '18. And at the other end of the scale, there are now just three GOP seats from anti-Trump districts. Notably, one of them belongs to Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick, who actually survived the 2018 midterm in a Clinton-won district in Pennsylvania. Another is held by Rep. Mike Lawler in New York; whether he opts to run for governor or seek another House term may determine whether Republicans have a realistic chance of retaining the seat. The third is held by retiring Rep. Don Bacon of Nebraska, and it is probably the clearest Democratic pick-up target on the map. Obviously, Republicans can afford to lose barely any seats. To have any chance of retaining the House, they'll need to have more success protecting those seats from marginally pro-Trump districts than they did in 2018, when most of them flipped to the Democrats. But if they can limit those losses, that's when redistricting could come in. For Republicans, it holds the promise of expanding this category: For all of their setbacks in 2018, it's worth remembering that Republicans did actually flip three Democratic-held districts, all of which had voted for Trump two years prior. Two were in Minnesota, and the other one was in Pennsylvania — where a new, court-drawn map went into effect in 2018, with that redistricting essentially blowing up a previously Democratic district. Redistricting in Ohio and Texas would likely mean more districts like this for Republicans to target. For instance, Democratic Rep. Emilia Sykes now represents an Ohio district that only barely voted for then-Vice President Kamala Harris last year. Under a redraw, those lines could shift to make it a solidly pro-Trump district. Similarly, Democrat Marcy Kaptur already represents another Ohio district that went for Trump, but a redraw could make it much redder — and much harder for her to hold on in 2026. With the margins in the House so fine, the majority could depend on it.