logo
Merchant camp planning to stick to Goodwood route

Merchant camp planning to stick to Goodwood route

Rhyl Journal10 hours ago
William Haggas' Royal Ascot winner saw the form of his King George V Stakes success enhanced when runner-up Serious Contender chased home Lambourn in the Irish Derby, but the Merchant team are at present resisting the temptation of a return to Ascot for their Group One feature on July 26.
'It's really exciting and as we know it's pretty stiff form,' said Harry Herbert of owners Highclere Thoroughbred Racing.
MERCHANT becomes our 12th Royal Ascot winner!
The son of Teofilo storms home to win the King George V Stakes with Tom Marquand in the saddle for trainer William Haggas 🏆
Many congratulations to all of his owners 👏🏼#HighclereRacing #RoyalAscot pic.twitter.com/eZEaCD7OH7
— Highclere (@HighclereRacing) June 19, 2025
'I'm a great believer in you never say never and if you have the entry then you can consider all options, but I couldn't envisage him running in the King George unless Calandagan suddenly couldn't go and a couple more fell by the wayside.
'If you had Aidan O'Brien's dual Derby winner leading the betting, then that's something that might lead to another conversation but for right now the plan is to go to Goodwood.'
With King George thoughts on the back burner, Merchant's route is likely to be as previously outlined, with the John Pearce Racing Gordon Stakes at Goodwood on July 31 setting up a possible visit to York during the Ebor Festival.
Herbert added: 'The plan is to go for the Gordon Stakes and play it one race at a time and if he happens to win there and depending on how he comes out of it, we'll probably then head to the Great Voltigeur (August 20) and take it from there.
'He's a high-class colt and like all these horses, it will all depend on how they develop on during the season and fingers crossed he's going to be a pretty important beast.'
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Ghostwriter booked for Saratoga assignment
Ghostwriter booked for Saratoga assignment

Glasgow Times

time32 minutes ago

  • Glasgow Times

Ghostwriter booked for Saratoga assignment

The son of Invincible Spirit ran with credit in the Middle East in the spring, finishing fourth in the Dubai Turf in his first race outside of Europe and having again performed admirably when stepped up in trip for the Hardwicke Stakes at Royal Ascot, Cox is now keen to head Stateside on August 9. Cox said: 'Ascot was a solid run which opens up more possibilities now going a mile and a half. At the moment we intend to take him to America at the beginning of August – that race is very much on the agenda and we're looking forward to making plans for that. Ghostwriter is one Clive Cox's stable stars (Mike Egerton/PA) 'He relished the travelling when we took him to Dubai in the spring and I'm hoping we can travel with a little bit of confidence this time and it seems a very logical and sensible plan.' Ghostwriter was subject of plenty of headlines prior to his run at Royal Ascot having been bought for £2million on the eve of the summer highlight by Kia Joorabchian's Amo Racing operation. In the race itself, he found just Charlie Appleby's globetrotting Rebel's Romance and Joseph O'Brien's dual Group One scorer Al Riffa too good, finishing third, a performance that proves he remains a reliable model of consistency in elite company. CHARLIE APPLEBY'S WAIT FOR A #ROYALASCOT WINNER IS OVER! REBEL'S ROMANCE TAKES THE HARDWICKE STAKES! — At The Races (@AtTheRaces) June 21, 2025 Cox added: 'I think the Hardwicke was a Group Two in name only and it was full of very creditable Group One performers really, but I was thrilled he hit the line well and proved the mile and a half trip is going to be suitable. 'I think he's become very professional and is also supremely consistent, his race record is really admirable and I'm pleased to be a part of his training and very happy with how he's come out of Ascot as well.'

Ghostwriter booked for Saratoga assignment
Ghostwriter booked for Saratoga assignment

The Herald Scotland

time42 minutes ago

  • The Herald Scotland

Ghostwriter booked for Saratoga assignment

Cox said: 'Ascot was a solid run which opens up more possibilities now going a mile and a half. At the moment we intend to take him to America at the beginning of August – that race is very much on the agenda and we're looking forward to making plans for that. Ghostwriter is one Clive Cox's stable stars (Mike Egerton/PA) 'He relished the travelling when we took him to Dubai in the spring and I'm hoping we can travel with a little bit of confidence this time and it seems a very logical and sensible plan.' Ghostwriter was subject of plenty of headlines prior to his run at Royal Ascot having been bought for £2million on the eve of the summer highlight by Kia Joorabchian's Amo Racing operation. In the race itself, he found just Charlie Appleby's globetrotting Rebel's Romance and Joseph O'Brien's dual Group One scorer Al Riffa too good, finishing third, a performance that proves he remains a reliable model of consistency in elite company. CHARLIE APPLEBY'S WAIT FOR A #ROYALASCOT WINNER IS OVER! REBEL'S ROMANCE TAKES THE HARDWICKE STAKES! — At The Races (@AtTheRaces) June 21, 2025 Cox added: 'I think the Hardwicke was a Group Two in name only and it was full of very creditable Group One performers really, but I was thrilled he hit the line well and proved the mile and a half trip is going to be suitable. 'I think he's become very professional and is also supremely consistent, his race record is really admirable and I'm pleased to be a part of his training and very happy with how he's come out of Ascot as well.'

Merchant camp planning to stick to Goodwood route
Merchant camp planning to stick to Goodwood route

Rhyl Journal

time10 hours ago

  • Rhyl Journal

Merchant camp planning to stick to Goodwood route

William Haggas' Royal Ascot winner saw the form of his King George V Stakes success enhanced when runner-up Serious Contender chased home Lambourn in the Irish Derby, but the Merchant team are at present resisting the temptation of a return to Ascot for their Group One feature on July 26. 'It's really exciting and as we know it's pretty stiff form,' said Harry Herbert of owners Highclere Thoroughbred Racing. MERCHANT becomes our 12th Royal Ascot winner! The son of Teofilo storms home to win the King George V Stakes with Tom Marquand in the saddle for trainer William Haggas 🏆 Many congratulations to all of his owners 👏🏼#HighclereRacing #RoyalAscot — Highclere (@HighclereRacing) June 19, 2025 'I'm a great believer in you never say never and if you have the entry then you can consider all options, but I couldn't envisage him running in the King George unless Calandagan suddenly couldn't go and a couple more fell by the wayside. 'If you had Aidan O'Brien's dual Derby winner leading the betting, then that's something that might lead to another conversation but for right now the plan is to go to Goodwood.' With King George thoughts on the back burner, Merchant's route is likely to be as previously outlined, with the John Pearce Racing Gordon Stakes at Goodwood on July 31 setting up a possible visit to York during the Ebor Festival. Herbert added: 'The plan is to go for the Gordon Stakes and play it one race at a time and if he happens to win there and depending on how he comes out of it, we'll probably then head to the Great Voltigeur (August 20) and take it from there. 'He's a high-class colt and like all these horses, it will all depend on how they develop on during the season and fingers crossed he's going to be a pretty important beast.'

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store