
Oscar-winning period romance with unrecognisable A-lister streaming for free
An Academy Award-winning period drama starring an unrecognisable A-lister is now streaming for free.
BBC iPlayer has just added Shakespeare in Love to its library, ready for theatre and romcom lovers to devour.
Released in 1998, the star-studded film features Oscar winners Gwyneth Paltrow, Colin Firth and Ben Affleck. It also stars Dame Judi Dench in a role that almost completely disguises the acclaimed actress.
For those who missed the hit romantic drama, it follows young playwright William Shakespeare (played by Joseph Fiennes) as he is battling writer's block.
While looking for a new muse, William meets his ideal woman, Viola (Paltrow), and is inspired to write one of his most famous plays, Romeo and Juliet.
Dame Dench plays Queen Elizabeth I, donning the hair, makeup and 16th century garments to fit the royal part. Despite being on screen for around eight minutes, Dench's performance earned her an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
The drama's accolades didn't stop there, as Shakespeare in Love also took home the Best Picture prize, alongside the Best Costume; Best Original Music; Best Screenplay, and Best Art Direction awards. Paltrow also bagged the Best Leading Actress gong, which remains her only Oscar win to date.
Directed by John Madden, the period drama has an impressive 92% Rotten Tomatoes score. The critics' consensus reads: "Endlessly witty, visually rapturous, and sweetly romantic, Shakespeare in Love is a delightful romantic comedy that succeeds on nearly every level."
Casual moviegoers similarly rave about the nineties hit, with one viewer writing: "Incredibly heart-warming and wildly entertaining, this movie has something for everybody, and it is so much fun to watch. I definitely recommend it for romance and comedy fans!"
A second said: "I absolutely love this movie, it's a timeless classic and an absolute must see. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll fall in love with the characters.
"It's quoted almost daily in my household, and rightfully so! If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend this movie!"
Meanwhile, a third penned: "Simply put, this is a fun film that never lacks for comedy. Everyone in this film portrays their parts with elegance. And as if to top the entire film off, Dame Judi Dench plays a rather fantastically entertaining Queen Elizabeth I."
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles

Western Telegraph
26 minutes ago
- Western Telegraph
Spacey told actor ‘don't worry about it' after alleged assault, documents claim
Ruari Cannon is suing Mr Spacey as well as two organisations connected to the Old Vic Theatre in London, claiming he suffered psychiatric damage as a result of sexual and emotional abuse. The 33-year-old has waived his anonymity in the claim. In court documents seen by the PA news agency, Mr Cannon alleges that Mr Spacey, who was a 'powerful figure and a world-famous actor and celebrity' at the time, assaulted him in about June 2013, when he was 'a very vulnerable young man'. Kevin Spacey attending Cannes Film Festival (Doug Peters/PA) Oscar-winning actor Mr Spacey has previously denied allegations of inappropriate behaviour and wrongdoing, and details of his defence are not yet available. According to the documents, filed in June, Mr Spacey was working as artistic director at the Old Vic Theatre at the time of the alleged assaults on a production of a play by Tennessee Williams known as Sweet Bird Of Youth, and Mr Cannon was a member of the cast in this production. They claim that Mr Spacey 'took a particular interest' in Mr Cannon for 'reasons of sexual interest' and sent him a 'lavish' gift of a framed poster of the 1985 production of the play directed by Harold Pinter. After the press preview of the show on June 12 2013, Mr Cannon attended a party at The Savoy in London organised by The Old Vic Theatre Company (The Cut) and The Old Vic Theatre Trust 2000. It is claimed that one of the alleged assaults took place at the event. Setting out the allegations, Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel KC, for Mr Cannon, said: 'Kevin Spacey pulled the claimant towards him, turned him around through 45 degrees and placed his left hand on the claimant's buttocks and lifted up the recess material of his suit.' It is alleged that Mr Spacey then pushed Mr Cannon's underwear 'as far up' into his bottom as possible, 'so as to cause pain and distress'. Ms Gumbel added: 'Mr Kevin Spacey pulled the claimant closer to him and whispered into the claimant's ear 'Don't worry about it'. 'Mr Spacey made more uncalled for and unwelcome advances to the claimant during the evening.' The following day, Mr Cannon reported the alleged assaults to his stage manager at the Old Vic Theatre, but no action was taken. According to the documents, it is accepted that Mr Cannon did not ask for any action to be taken, and was scared about how any further action might affect his career. Later that year, during the run of the show, Mr Cannon saw Mr Spacey at the Old Vic bar. Mr Spacey allegedly said to him, 'I hear you have a dirty secret', and then said: 'Open up.' Ms Gumbel said: 'Kevin Spacey then forced open the claimant's mouth with his fingers and thumbs and commented 'quite a bad boy' before the claimant could pull away. 'The claimant then left the bar. The forcing open of the claimant's mouth was another assault for which Kevin Spacey was responsible and for which the second and/or third defendants were vicariously liable. 'Further in 2017 when the Old Vic set up a confidential complaints email on October 31 2017 the claimant reported the above complaint again to the Old Vic.' She added that the alleged assaults were carried out by Mr Spacey in the course of his work for the organisations connected to the Old Vic, and they are 'vicariously liable' for the alleged assaults carried out in the context of a theatre production. Law firms Carter-Ruck, which is representing Mr Spacey, and Clyde & Co, representing the companies, have been approached for comment.


Metro
42 minutes ago
- Metro
Line of Duty star's drama that will 'seize your soul' launches on BBC
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Today marks the day that Jimmy McGovern's highly anticipated latest TV project lands on BBC iPlayer. The new one-part drama, Unforgivable, stars Anna Maxwell Martin as Katherine, an ex-nun and therapist who works at an institution called St Maura's. Anna was introduced as DCS Patricia Carmichael in BBC One's crime drama Line of Duty back in 2019, a character known for her passive aggressive and unpleasant demeanour. In Unforgivable, Katherine works alongside lead character Joe (Bobby Schofield) as he finishes his two-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to sexually abusing a family member. Brookside star Anna Friel plays Joe's sister, Anna, who is tackling the aftermath of her family's trauma whilst protecting her two sons. Anna's contact with her inmate brother infuriates her father Brian (David Threlfall), who can't stand the fact that she is in contact with her brother, Joe. The Liverpool-set series also features Adolescence child actor Austin Haynes alongside Phina Oruche, Mark Womack and Fin McPartland in his TV debut. As well as being a best-selling author, screenwriter Jimmy has worked on many shows over the years that tackle social issues and injustice. Over the years, he's worked on Channel 4's Brookside, the docudrama Hillsborough and most recently the Bafta award-winning series Time, starring Sean Bean and Stephen Graham. Speaking to the BBC about his previous work on screen, McGovern said: 'It's got to seize my soul and if it doesn't do that then I won't be able to sit at the computer to write.' A description of Unforgivable reads: 'The Mitchell family deal with the devastating aftermath of an act of sexual abuse committed by a member of their own family who, after two years, is about to leave prison.' When the cast for the series was first confirmed, Jimmy told Radio Times: 'I can't believe the cast and crew that have been assembled for this production. It's a challenging film, yes, but I can't wait for it to be shown.' The release of Unforgivable comes shortly after Netflix added all four episodes of a 'gripping' spy thriller starring another Line of Duty star. Set in 1886, the drama The Secret Agent follows a man called Verloc (Toby Jones), who owns a sex shop in Victorian-era Soho. More Trending On the side, he's an informer for the Russian embassy tasked with spying on revolutionary groups, with Line of Duty icon Vicky McClurer playing his wife, Winnie. To round out the top of the call sheet, Stephen Graham joins them as the police Chief Inspector Heat. Unforgivable is available to stream on BBC iPlayer and airs tonight at 9pm on BBC Two. View More » An earlier version of this article was published on July 13, 2025. Got a story? If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the entertainment team by emailing us celebtips@ calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you. MORE: Chloe Ayling: 'I can't believe I'm still talking about being kidnapped eight years later' MORE: BBC fans can now stream this 60s classic hailed 'filmmaking at its finest' MORE: BBC denies editing Irish verse out of CMAT song after backlash


Daily Mirror
3 hours ago
- Daily Mirror
Musician calls out 'appalling' artist pay as new label-led deal for artists announced
The Government announced label-led measures to raise the earning of songwriters and session musicians in the UK, but veteran violinist Jennifer Maslin and the Musicians' Union say the changes fall flat After the UK government announced new measures to boost the earnings of songwriters, session musicians and legacy artists, one veteran session violinist says she's not impressed. While the new deal is being touted by the Government as the 'best deal' for artists, Jennifer Maslin says the meagre increase is still far from a living wage. On July 22, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) announced a 'major boost for UK music creators' backed by major record labels including Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment and Warner Music Group. The plans were put forward by the Creator Remuneration Working Group (CRWG) which is chaired by Sir Chris Bryant. The changes estimated by labels are expected to 'deliver tens of millions of pounds in new investment to support musicians by 2030'. The new measures also include a framework for legacy artists to renegotiate their contracts to increase their streaming earnings for existing work. Inside the AI music controversy clouding The Beatles' historic BRIT nomination Support for songwriters and composers includes a commitment to the payment of per diems and expenses for recording sessions, to ensure they are not left out of pocket. The British Phonographic Industry (BPI) and Musicians' Union have also agreed to raise session fees of up to 40 percent for pop sessions and 15 percent for classical sessions. Speaking to NME about the new measures, Sir Chris said: 'I honestly feel that this deal that we've struck here in the UK is the best deal there is in the world '. However session artists like Jennifer are unconvinced. Jennifer is a solo and session violinist in the UK with over three decades of experience. Speak to The Mirror she says the new deal is a step in the right direction but falls short, especially for classical musicians. "It's a great step forward that some recognition is finally being given to the appalling pay musicians are expected to live off.' Referencing Grammy-winning artist Raye and her infamous Ivor Novello Awards speech, Jennifer says: 'Raye was right that it's an insult songwriters are expected to work for free.' While she applauds Sir Chris' efforts to address the situation, Jennifer says that the £75 for songwriters in a gig economy 'with no pension or sick pay benefits' is still 'well under the living wage for a full working day'. She acknowledges that when it comes to recording session fees, 'things look brighter for pop session musicians though'. 'Let's hope we're now on the path to not being asked 'Is this your only job?' - and respecting being a musician for the training, artistry and dedication it requires,' she concludes. The Musicians' Union (MU) - the UK trade union which represents musicians in negotiations with employers, including major industry players - is also unimpressed by the new deal. MU General Secretary Naomi Pohl met repeatedly with the CRWG, however the union and Council of Music Makers as a whole 'remain disappointed that the labels have not addressed the key issues with music streaming economics '. For more stories like this subscribe to our weekly newsletter, The Weekly Gulp, for a curated roundup of trending stories, poignant interviews, and viral lifestyle picks from The Mirror's Audience U35 team delivered straight to your inbox. Musicians' Union General Secretary Naomi Pohl told The Mirror: "We are grateful to Minister Chris Bryant for the pressure he has put on record labels, and the majors in particular, to improve terms for artists on older contracts.' However, she says that while session rates were increased: 'this doesn't address a lack of royalties for session musicians and we also want to see modern royalty rates for all signed artists. The fundamental problems with music streaming economics remain.' MU says it will soon launch a petition calling for copyright reform. According to Naomi: 'We have also secured an additional meeting with the Minister in September to discuss session musician remuneration specifically." The Council of Music Makers, which includes the MU, is seeking: a minimum digital royalty rate for all new and legacy artists; a rolling commitment to write-off unrecouped balances of signed artists after 20 years; rights reversion so artists and songwriters can reclaim their rights after a set period of time; streaming royalties for session musicians; and a right to contract adjustment. Help us improve our content by completing the survey below. We'd love to hear from you!