logo
Australia news LIVE: PM's China visit continues; Antisemitism envoy scrutinised over husband's donation to right-wing group

Australia news LIVE: PM's China visit continues; Antisemitism envoy scrutinised over husband's donation to right-wing group

The Age2 days ago
Latest posts
Latest posts
6.52am
Antisemitism envoy distances herself from husband's donation to right-wing lobby group
Olivia Ireland
Antisemitism envoy Jillian Segal has distanced herself from donations by her husband's family trust to controversial conservative lobby group Advance Australia days after she released recommendations on how the government needs to respond to rising hate towards Jewish people.
Loading
Australian Electoral Commission donation records lodged by a company Segal's husband, John Roth, is a director of show that the Roth family trust, Henroth, gave $50,000 to Advance in 2023-24.
Advance Australia has previously said a vote for Labor is endorsed by the Chinese Communist Party, that teal candidates are hidden Green politicians, and has accused left-leaning politicians of being 'mostly on the same side as Hamas'.
Segal's role as envoy is to fight antisemitism and enhance social cohesion, and she has asked for endorsement of her report on combating antisemitism. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese explicitly said he did not want the report to be politicised.
6.48am
AUKUS dilemma looms large over PM's China visit
The future of the AUKUS agreement is dominating Prime Minister Anthony Albanese's visit to China, as the US looks for assurances on how AUKUS submarines would be deployed in the event of war.
In that context, Albanese was pressed on whether Australia would join a US-China war over Taiwan, but he declined to answer.
As Chief Political Correspondent Paul Sakkal writes in his analysis of the trip so far, the warm welcome and extensive praise exchanged between the nations' leaders contrasts with the 'prickly points of difference couched in strictly diplomatic language'.
Sakkal writes:
Intruding into this cozy atmosphere of mutual co-operation is one of the leading China hawks in the Trump administration.
The words of Elbridge Colby, the Pentagon figure reviewing the AUKUS pact, echoed around the room on day one of Albanese's China visit.
The Pentagon policy chief largely confirmed on Sunday what this masthead reported last week: he wants allies like Australia to be clearer about how they would support the US in potential conflicts, including but not limited to one with China over Taiwan.'
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Chinese Premier Li Qiang issues veiled warning on Chinese business treatment as Albanese says Darwin Port not discussed with President Xi
Chinese Premier Li Qiang issues veiled warning on Chinese business treatment as Albanese says Darwin Port not discussed with President Xi

Sky News AU

time15 minutes ago

  • Sky News AU

Chinese Premier Li Qiang issues veiled warning on Chinese business treatment as Albanese says Darwin Port not discussed with President Xi

Chinese Premier Li Qiang has sent a thinly veiled warning to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese after he held back from raising the politically charged Darwin Port issue with President Xi Jinping. Chinese Premier Li Qiang has delivered a thinly veiled warning to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese over treatment of Chinese businesses in Australia. His comments come after the Albanese government committed to reviewing Chinese firm Landbridge's 99-year lease of the Port of Darwin. At a meeting attended by Mr Albanese and business leaders, Premier Li urged Australia to 'treat Chinese enterprises fairly' and 'properly resolve the issues of market access'. 'I trust Australia will treat Chinese enterprise fairly and properly resolve issues regarding market access and investment review,' he said. 'Economic globalisation has encountered headwinds. Trade frictions continue to increase. 'We hope that you will embrace openness and co-operation, no matter how the world changes. 'You should be promoters of economic and trade co-operation so that our two countries will better draw on each other's strengths and grow together.' Mr Albanese declared during the federal election campaign that Landbridge must sell the port voluntarily or it would be forcibly acquired by government. The issue has upset the Chinese government—and Ambassador to Australia Xiao Qian said it would be an 'ethically questionable' move by the Albanese government. However, Mr Albanese confirmed during his press conference that the Port of Darwin issue was not raised during his meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping. 'No, it wasn't raised. I can't be clearer than that… I don't need to (raise it),' Mr Albanese told reporters in Beijing. 'I've had the same position for a decade, since the Liberal Government chose to provide an incentive to the Northern Territory Liberal Government to flog off an asset.' The Prime Minister's blunt response came amid sustained domestic pressure over whether the federal government intends to intervene in the lease. The lease was granted by the NT government to Landbridge in 2015, but has remained politically sensitive over the past decade due to concerns about Chinese influence. — Anthony Albanese (@AlboMP) July 15, 2025 Australia, which regards the United States as its major security ally, has pursued a China policy of 'cooperate where we can, disagree where we must' under Mr Albanese. Mr Albanese's six-day, three-city visit comes as a major test case for Beijing's attempts to capitalise on US President Donald Trump's global trade war. China has since sought to respond to President Trump's tariffs by presenting itself as a stable and reliable partner. President Xi called on both countries to safeguard free trade in a readout of his meeting with Mr Albanese published by state media. While Mr Albanese repeatedly voiced his support for free trade and more dialogue with China, the first day of senior meetings ended without any new major trade deals. 'Dialogue is how we advance our interests, how we manage our differences and we guard against misunderstanding,' Mr Albanese said on Tuesday night. He also said a decade-old free trade agreement with China, Australia's largest trade partner, would be reviewed. The two countries agreed to a new Policy Dialogue on Steel Decarbonisation that will give Australia insight into Chinese government planning. They also signed agreements on tourism, customs inspections, and agriculture, the statement said.

Hegseth to remove 2000 National Guard troops from LA
Hegseth to remove 2000 National Guard troops from LA

West Australian

time43 minutes ago

  • West Australian

Hegseth to remove 2000 National Guard troops from LA

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has ordered the removal of half of the 4000 National Guard troops who had been sent to Los Angeles to protect federal property and personnel during a spate of protests last month. Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell said the decision owed to the success of the mission. "Thanks to our troops who stepped up to answer the call, the lawlessness in Los Angeles is subsiding," Parnell said in a statement. "As such, the Secretary has ordered the release of 2000 California National Guardsmen from the federal protection mission." Trump deployed the California National Guard troops to Los Angeles in June, against the wishes of Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom, to quell protests triggered by immigration raids on workplaces by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents. He also sent about 700 Marines. Despite legal challenges, a US appeals court let Trump retain control of California's National Guard. But his decision to send troops into Los Angeles prompted a national debate about the use of the military on US soil and inflamed political tension in the country's second-most-populous city. The Pentagon has defended the deployment, saying safeguarding ICE agents ensures they can do their jobs. Even after the withdrawal of those military personnel from Los Angeles, 2000 National Guard troops would remain in the city along with the roughly 700 Marines.

Hegseth to remove 2000 National Guard troops from LA
Hegseth to remove 2000 National Guard troops from LA

Perth Now

timean hour ago

  • Perth Now

Hegseth to remove 2000 National Guard troops from LA

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth has ordered the removal of half of the 4000 National Guard troops who had been sent to Los Angeles to protect federal property and personnel during a spate of protests last month. Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell said the decision owed to the success of the mission. "Thanks to our troops who stepped up to answer the call, the lawlessness in Los Angeles is subsiding," Parnell said in a statement. "As such, the Secretary has ordered the release of 2000 California National Guardsmen from the federal protection mission." Trump deployed the California National Guard troops to Los Angeles in June, against the wishes of Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom, to quell protests triggered by immigration raids on workplaces by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents. He also sent about 700 Marines. Despite legal challenges, a US appeals court let Trump retain control of California's National Guard. But his decision to send troops into Los Angeles prompted a national debate about the use of the military on US soil and inflamed political tension in the country's second-most-populous city. The Pentagon has defended the deployment, saying safeguarding ICE agents ensures they can do their jobs. Even after the withdrawal of those military personnel from Los Angeles, 2000 National Guard troops would remain in the city along with the roughly 700 Marines.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store