
Trump threatens Canada with 35 per cent tariffs on Aug. 1 in letter posted online
Canada and the United States had committed to working on a new economic and security agreement with a July 21 deadline for a deal. The boosted tariff pressures call into question progress toward the initial time frame.
Carney posted on social media later that throughout trade negotiations the Canadian government has "steadfastly defended our workers and businesses."
"We will continue to do so as we work toward the revised deadline," he said referencing Aug. 1.
Trump sent correspondence to a handful of countries this week outlining higher tariffs they'll face if they don't make trade deals by the start of August. Most of the countries — except Brazil — had been bracing for the return of Trump's looming so-called "reciprocal" tariffs this week. Trump pushed the deadline for those duties until Aug. 1 to give more time to negotiate trade deals.
Canada was not subject to those tariffs and it's not clear why Trump sent the letter as the deadline for negotiations had not passed.
In the letter, Trump said if Canada works to stop the flow of fentanyl into the United States he may consider a tariff adjustment.
Carney noted that Canada has made "vital progress to stop the scourge of fentanyl in North America." He said "we are committed to continuing to work with the United States to save lives and protect communities in both our countries."
In his correspondence to Carney, Trump also pointed to supply management in the dairy sector, repeating his inaccurate claim about Canada putting 400 per cent tariffs on American dairy farmers. The president said the trade deficit with Canada is a threat to the American economy and national security.
Carney pointed to efforts in building a "one Canadian economy" and strengthening relationships around the world. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said on social media that Canada has long been a trusted friend and partner to the United States and the tariffs are an unjustified attack on the Canadian economy.
"Conservatives stand ready to do everything we can to secure the best deal for Canada by the July 21 deadline the Prime Minister has set," Poilievre said. "Our country stands united."
Trump declared an emergency at the northern border in order to use the International Economic Emergency Powers Act to slap Canada with 25 per cent tariffs in March, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy and potash. He partially paused the duties a few days later for imports under the Canada-US-Mexico Agreement on trade.
It is unclear whether there'd be any carve-out for imports compliant with the continental trade pact in Trump's latest tariff threats.
There are additional tariffs on steel, aluminum and automobiles, as well as a plan to introduce tariffs on copper, also on Aug. 1.
The letter also pointed out that Canada had responded with retaliatory tariffs after Trump first imposed the duties. It said if Canada raises its duties, the United States will add an additional 35 per cent.
The increased tariff comes as a new report from a New York-based think tank questioned the drug trafficking rationale of Trump's tariffs on Canada, saying the data shows the vast majority of fentanyl seizures are linked to the southern border.
The Manhattan Institute analyzed newly released data on fentanyl and heroin seizures made in the 50 US states and Washington, D.C., from 2013 to 2024, with a focus on the last two years.
The report released earlier this month found that about 99 per cent of the pills and 97 per cent of the powder were found along the border with Mexico. It found that large fentanyl seizures along the Canadian border were rare.
"The main takeaway is that all indications are that the vast majority of fentanyl consumed in the United States arrived via the southwest border with Mexico," co-author Jonathan Caulkins said Thursday.
"Quantities coming from Canada are negligible."
Canadians have pointed to US Customs and Border Protection data that shows a minuscule volume of fentanyl is seized at the northern border. The RCMP have said there is little to no evidence to support that claim that Canadian fentanyl is spreading in the United States.
The Trump administration has dismissed that justification and has maintained that Canada poses a large fentanyl threat.
The Manhattan Institute report said its analysis "contradicts views — such as those used to justify certain tariffs — that treat the flows across the southern and northern borders as being comparably important."
"Imagine someone who tried to pinch pennies by getting a friend to drive him to the airport whenever he took a luxury cruise. Or imagine a dieter who used artificial sweetener in his coffee whenever he ordered cheesecake for dessert," the report said.
"The US effort to try to solve its fentanyl problem by focusing on the northern border with Canada is similar."
The report said that before the United States can act to counter fentanyl trafficking, it must understand how it works. It found that 32 times as much powder and 78 times as many pills were seized in counties along the Mexican border as in those counties sharing the land border with Canada.
Caulkins, a professor at Heinz College at Carnegie Mellon University, said when it comes to fentanyl, Canada and the United States "are in the same boat." Both countries are beset by high overdose death rates from synthetic opioids manufactured outside their borders.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 10, 2025.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Winnipeg Free Press
19 minutes ago
- Winnipeg Free Press
U.S. imposing 20.56% anti-dumping duties on Canadian softwood
VANCOUVER – British Columbia lumber organizations are condemning the decision by the U.S. Commerce Department to raise anti-dumping duties on Canadian softwood to 20.56 per cent, calling them unjustified, punitive and protectionist. The B.C. Council of Forest Industries issued a statement Friday saying the trade action will harm workers, families and communities across the province and Canada. The council is calling on the Canadian government to make finding a resolution to the softwood dispute a top national priority, saying the latest escalation from the Commerce Department shows they can't wait for the United States to act. The B.C. Lumber Trade Council says in a separate statement that if the U.S. department's pending review on countervailing duties is in line with its preliminary results, the combined rate against Canadian softwood shipped to the United States will be well over 30 per cent. Prime Minister Mark Carney said earlier this month that a future trade agreement with the United States could include quotas on softwood lumber, an area that has caused friction between two countries for years before the latest trade war. The American department had issued a preliminary anti-dumping rate in March of 20.07 per cent, up from 7.66 per cent set three years before, which is in addition to the countervailing duties of 6.74 per cent. Wednesdays What's next in arts, life and pop culture. 'This decision represents yet another example of ongoing U.S. protectionism at a time when cross-border co-operation should be a shared priority,' the statement from the B.C. Lumber Trade Council said. The B.C. Council of Forest Industries said the provincial government could make a number of changes that would help the industry keep mills operating. By activating timber sales, fast-tracking permits and cutting through regulatory gridlock, it said B.C. could send a signal that it is serious about rebuilding a sustainable forest sector. 'These unjustified and punitive trade actions continue to harm workers, families, and communities across British Columbia and Canada — and have gone unresolved for far too long,' the statement from the council said. This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 25, 2025.


CBC
20 minutes ago
- CBC
Inuit leader says modern treaties give veto right over major projects
After meeting with Prime Minister Mark Carney, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami President Natan Obed says Carney was 'unequivocal' that modern treaties will be the 'platforms' for any nation-building projects. When asked whether Inuit leaders have a veto over projects, Obed says 'our modern treaties give us this right.'


CBC
20 minutes ago
- CBC
Trump says U.S. may not reach a trade deal with Canada
As U.S. President Donald Trump says he hasn't 'really had a lot of luck' negotiating a trade deal with Canada so he may just impose a 35 per cent tariff on non-CUSMA-compliant Canadian goods on Aug. 1, the Power & Politics panel of party insiders discusses what the comments mean for Prime Minister Mark Carney and Canada's economic outlook.