logo
Trump gets much-needed economic boost at six-month mark, brushing off dire warning that could set back progress

Trump gets much-needed economic boost at six-month mark, brushing off dire warning that could set back progress

Daily Mail​4 days ago
Consumers were feeling more optimistic in July, and inflation has remained mostly in check – bringing Donald Trump 's White House to proclaim new 'swagger' as the president hits the six-month mark of his second term.
Markets have been on a tear this summer since the president announced a 'pause' in Trump's 'Liberation Day' tariffs – with the S&P 500 index hitting a record on Monday in morning trading, toping a record from Friday.
On another key metric, the University of Michigan 's consumer sentiment survey, the index rose to 61.8 percent, up from 60.7 in June. The U.S. unemployment rate dropped to 4.1 percent in June, after the economy added 147,000 jobs.
The White House sees the new data as validating Trump's policies – on the heels of passage of his megabill, which the administration plans to sell over the coming months despite negative approval ratings.
Trump's team even blasted out a release about a Wall Street Journal story, writing: 'Even the media admits the U.S. economy is "regaining its swagger" under President Donald J. Trump.'
'Now businesses and consumers are regaining their swagger, and evidence is mounting that those who held back are starting to splurge again,' the paper wrote.
That came just days after Trump sued the Journal and its owner Rupert Murdoch for $10 billion over the Journal's report claiming Trump drew a 'bawdy' birthday cartoon for Jeffrey Epstein as part of a birthday compilation.
Trump's lawsuit calls the account 'false, defamatory, unsubstantiated, and disparaging.'
His Treasury Secretary, Scott Bessent, has been bullish on the economy – as markets wrestle with the fate of Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell and the looming August 1 trade tariff deadline.
'They were fear mongering over tariffs, and thus far we have seen very little, if any, inflation,' Bessent told CNBC, blasting administration critics.
'We've had great inflation numbers. So, you know, I think this idea [is] of them not being able to break out of a certain mindset. All these Ph.D.s over there, I don't know what they do,' he added.
Trump attacked another Journal story over the weekend, calling it 'untruthful' after the paper reported Bessent told him that firing Powell would be bad for the market.
'If it weren't for me, the market wouldn't be at Record Highs right now, it probably would have crashed,' Trump wrote, putting the final word in all capital letters for emphasis.
Trump's repeated threats to fire Powell amid demands that he lower rates have themselves caused market gyrations.
The White House also crowed about core inflation – which excludes energy – beating expectations, with industrial production also beating expectations.
It also touted $120 billion in revenue from Trump's tariffs coming into the treasury.
But it is those tariffs that also pose the greatest potential danger to the economic gains Trump is touting.
Markets tanked when he announced his 'reciprocal' tariffs on April 2nd, and rose each time he announced a delay.
Trump has announced only a handful of deals since then, despite trade advisor Peter Navarro once boasting about reaching '90 deals in 90 days.'
Those tariffs are potentially the greatest threat to the economic gains Trump is promoting. U.S. tariffs are now at their highest level in a century.
The tariffs Trump has been announcing in letters impact allies and adversaries alike.
Trump's latest threat to Russia over its bombing campaign in Ukraine threatened to impose 100 percent 'secondary tariffs' on those who do business with Russia after 50 days – which in theory could bring in top trading partners China, India, and Brazil.
A potential 15 to 20 percent tariff on the European Union could hit some of the nation's favorite consumer products – from German cars to Italian wine and cheese.
Trump has announced a larger 30 percent tariff on Mexico and the EU of the parties can't negotiate a deal.
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Intel to separate networking unit as new CEO Tan overhauls business
Intel to separate networking unit as new CEO Tan overhauls business

Reuters

time16 minutes ago

  • Reuters

Intel to separate networking unit as new CEO Tan overhauls business

July 25 (Reuters) - Intel (INTC.O), opens new tab is planning to separate its networking and communications unit into a stand-alone company and has begun the process of identifying investors, the chipmaker said on Friday, as new CEO Lip-Bu Tan looks to streamline its operations. Tan's plan to rejuvenate the once-iconic chipmaker focuses on shedding non-core assets and reducing expenses by scaling back major investments and cutting workforce numbers. Reuters reported in May that Intel was considering divesting its network and edge businesses, previously called NEX in its financial reports. "Like Altera, we will remain an anchor investor enabling us to benefit from future upside as we position the business for future growth," the company said in an emailed statement. In April, Intel agreed to sell a majority stake in its Altera programmable chip business to buyout firm Silver Lake at a valuation of about $8.75 billion, or nearly half of what it had paid for the business in 2015. Tan has been given the challenge of revitalizing the chipmaker after years of missteps and high-capital manufacturing strategies led to growing losses, all while the company grapples with establishing a foothold in the burgeoning AI market. Intel's shares were down 9% on Friday after the chipmaker warned of exiting chip manufacturing if it failed to secure a major customer. It also reported a surprise second-quarter adjusted loss and forecast a bigger-than-expected loss in the third quarter. In the latest first quarter, Intel made NEX a part of its data center and PC group and does not report its results as a separate segment. The unit, which makes chips for telecom equipment, generated revenue of $5.8 billion in 2024, securities filings show. That constituted about 11% of the company's total sales.

FACT FOCUS: Trump claims cashless bail increases crime, but data is inconclusive
FACT FOCUS: Trump claims cashless bail increases crime, but data is inconclusive

The Independent

time18 minutes ago

  • The Independent

FACT FOCUS: Trump claims cashless bail increases crime, but data is inconclusive

As his administration faces mounting pressure to release Justice Department files related the Jeffrey Epstein sex trafficking case, President Donald Trump is highlighting a different criminal justice issue — cashless bail. He suggested in a Truth Social post this week that eliminating cash bail as a condition of pretrial release from jail has led to rising crime in U.S. cities that have enacted these reforms. However, studies have shown no clear link. Here's a closer look at the facts. TRUMP: 'Crime in American Cities started to significantly rise when they went to CASHLESS BAIL. The WORST criminals are flooding our streets and endangering even our great law enforcement officers. It is a complete disaster, and must be ended, IMMEDIATELY!' THE FACTS: Data has not determined the impact of cashless bail on crime rates. But experts say it is incorrect to claim that there is an adverse connection. 'I don't know of any valid studies corroborating the President's claim and would love to know what the Administration offers in support,' said Kellen Funk, a professor at Columbia Law School who studies pretrial procedure and bail bonding. 'In my professional judgment I'd call the claim demonstrably false and inflammatory.' Jeff Clayton, executive director of the American Bail Coalition, the main lobbying arm of the cash bail industry, also pointed to a lack of evidence. 'Studies are inconclusive in terms of whether bail reforms have had an impact on overall crime numbers,' he said. 'This is due to pretrial crime being a small subset of overall crime. It is also difficult to categorize reforms as being 'cashless' or not, i.e., policies where preventative detention is introduced as an alternative to being held on bail.' Different jurisdictions, different laws In 2023, Illinois became the first state to completely eliminate cash bail when the state Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the law abolishing it. The move was part of an expansive criminal justice overhaul adopted in 2021 known as the SAFE-T Act. Under the change, a judge decides whether to release the defendant prior to their trial, weighing factors such as their criminal charges, if they could pose any danger to others and if they are considered a flight risk. Loyola University of Chicago's Center for Criminal Justice published a 2024 report on Illinois' new cashless bail policy, one year after it went into effect. It acknowledges that there is not yet enough data to know what impact the law has had on crime, but that crime in Illinois did not increase after its implementation. Violent and property crime declined in some counties. A number of other jurisdictions, including New Jersey, New Mexico and Washington, D.C., have nearly eliminated cash bail or limited its use. Many include exceptions for high-level crimes. Proponents of eliminating cash bail describe it as a penalty on poverty, suggesting that the wealthy can pay their way out of jail to await trial while those with fewer financial resources have to sit it out behind bars. Critics have argued that bail is a time-honored way to ensure defendants released from jail show up for court proceedings. They warn that violent criminals will be released pending trial, giving them license to commit other crimes. A lack of consensus Studies have shown mixed results regarding the impact of cashless bail on crime. Many focus on the recidivism of individual defendants rather than overall crime rates. A 2024 report published by the Brennan Center for Justice saw 'no statistically significant relationship' between bail reform and crime rates. It looked at crime rate data from 2015 through 2021 for 33 cities across the U.S., 22 of which had instituted some type of bail reform. Researchers used a statistical method to determine if crime rates had diverged in those with reforms and those without. Ames Grawert, the report's co-author and senior counsel in the Brennan Center's Justice Program, said this conclusion "holds true for trends in crime overall or specifically violent crime.' Similarly, a 2023 paper published in the American Economic Journal found no evidence that cash bail helps ensure defendants will show up in court or prevents crime among those who are released while awaiting trial. The paper evaluated the impact of a 2018 policy instituted by the Philadelphia's district attorney that instructed prosecutors not to set bail for certain offenses. A 2019 court decree in Harris County, Texas, requires most people charged with a misdemeanor to be released without bail while awaiting trial. The latest report from the monitoring team responsible for tracking the impact of this decision, released in 2024, notes that the number of people arrested for misdemeanors has declined by more than 15% since 2015. The number of those rearrested within one year has similarly declined, with rearrest rates remaining stable in recent years. Asked what data Trump was using to support his claim, the White House pointed to a 2022 report from the district attorney's office in Yolo County, California, that looked at how a temporary cashless bail system implemented across the state to prevent COVID-19 outbreaks in courts and jails impacted recidivism. It found that out of 595 individuals released between April 2020 and May 2021 under this system, 70.6% were arrested again after they were released. A little more than half were rearrested more than once. A more recent paper, published in February by the IZA Institute of Labor Economics, also explored the effects of California's decision to suspend most bail during the COVID-19 pandemic. It reports that implementation of this policy 'caused notable increases in both the likelihood and number of rearrests within 30 days.' However, a return to cash bail did not impact the number of rearrests for any type of offense. The paper acknowledges that other factors, such as societal disruption from the pandemic, could have contributed to the initial increase. Many contributing factors It is difficult to pinpoint specific explanations for why crime rises and falls. The American Bail Coalition's Clayton noted that other policies that have had a negative impact on crime, implemented concurrently with bail reforms, make it 'difficult to isolate or elevate one or more causes over the others.' Paul Heaton, a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania who studies criminal justice interventions, had a similar outlook. 'Certainly there are some policy levers that people look at — the size of the police force and certain policies around sentencing,' he said. 'But there's a lot of variation in crime that I think even criminologists don't necessarily fully understand.'

Why are data nerds racing to save US government statistics?
Why are data nerds racing to save US government statistics?

The Independent

time18 minutes ago

  • The Independent

Why are data nerds racing to save US government statistics?

The data nerds are fighting back. After watching data sets be altered or disappear from U.S. government websites in unprecedented ways after President Donald Trump began his second term, an army of outside statisticians, demographers and computer scientists have joined forces to capture, preserve and share data sets, sometimes clandestinely. Their goal is to make sure they are available in the future, believing that democracy suffers when policymakers don't have reliable data and that national statistics should be above partisan politics. 'There are such smart, passionate people who care deeply about not only the Census Bureau, but all the statistical agencies, and ensuring the integrity of the statistical system. And that gives me hope, even during these challenging times,' Mary Jo Mitchell, director of government and public affairs for the research nonprofit the Population Association of America, said this week during an online public data-users conference. The threats to the U.S. data infrastructure since January have come not only from the disappearance or modification of data related to gender, sexual orientation, health, climate change and diversity, among other topics, but also from job cuts of workers and contractors who had been guardians of restricted-access data at statistical agencies, the data experts said. 'There are trillions of bytes of data files, and I can't even imagine how many public dollars were spent to collect those data. ... But right now, they're sitting someplace that is inaccessible because there are no staff to appropriately manage those data,' Jennifer Park, a study director for the Committee on National Statistics, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, said during the conference hosted by the Association of Public Data Users (APDU). 'Gender' switched to 'sex' In February, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's official public portal for health data, was taken down entirely but subsequently went back up. Around the same time, when a query was made to access certain public data from the U.S. Census Bureau's most comprehensive survey of American life, users for several days got a response that said the area was 'unavailable due to maintenance' before access was restored. Researchers Janet Freilich and Aaron Kesselheim examined 232 federal public health data sets that had been modified in the first quarter of this year and found that almost half had been 'substantially altered," with the majority having the word 'gender' switched to 'sex,' they wrote this month in The Lancet medical journal. One of the most difficult tasks has been figuring out what's been changed since many of the alterations weren't recorded in documentation. Beth Jarosz, senior program director at the Population Reference Bureau, thought she was in good shape since she had previously downloaded data she needed from the National Survey of Children's Health for a February conference where she was speaking, even though the data had become unavailable. But then she realized she had failed to download the questionnaire and later discovered that a question about discrimination based on gender or sexual identity had been removed. 'It's the one thing my team didn't have,' Jarosz said at this week's APDU conference. 'And they edited the questionnaire document, which should have been a historical record.' Among the groups that have formed this year to collect and preserve the federal data are which monitors changes to federal data sets; the University of Chicago Library's Data Mirror website, which backs up and hosts at-risk data sets; the Data Rescue Project, which serves as a clearinghouse for data rescue-related efforts; and the Federal Data Forum, which shares information about what federal statistics have gone missing or been modified — a job also being done by the American Statistical Association. The outside data warriors also are quietly reaching out to workers at statistical agencies and urging them to back up any data that is restricted from the public. 'You can't trust that this data is going to be here tomorrow,' said Lena Bohman, a founding member of the Data Rescue Project. Experts' committee unofficially revived Separately, a group of outside experts has unofficially revived a long-running U.S. Census Bureau advisory committee that was killed by the Trump administration in March. Census Bureau officials won't be attending the Census Scientific Advisory Committee meeting in September, since the Commerce Department, which oversees the agency, eliminated it. But the advisory committee will forward its recommendations to the bureau, and demographer Allison Plyer said she has heard that some agency officials are excited by the committee's re-emergence, even if it's outside official channels. 'We will send them recommendations but we don't expect them to respond since that would be frowned upon,' said Plyer, chief demographer at The Data Center in New Orleans. 'They just aren't getting any outside expertise ... and they want expertise, which is understandable from nerds.' ___ ——

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store