
Zaharudin demands RM1.5m from Steven Sim over Facebook post dispute
Published on: Fri, Jul 04, 2025
By: Faiz Zainudin, FMT Text Size: Zaharudin (left) and Sim PETALING JAYA: Sungai Buloh PAS chief Zaharudin Muhammad has served a letter of demand on Steven Sim following criticism by the DAP deputy secretary-general over a Facebook post related to the promotion of a Chinese officer in the armed forces. In the letter dated July 3, issued by legal firm Nur Maidin & Co, Zaharudin demanded that Sim retract his allegedly defamatory remarks and issue a public apology, failing which he said the DAP leader would be sued for RM1.5 million.
Advertisement 'Our client hereby demands the sum of RM1.5 million as fair and just compensation for your defamatory statements. 'Our client demands that you comply with the remedial actions immediately and in any event, no later than seven days from the date of this letter,' the lawyers said. Sim said last Thursday that he was ready to go to court to defend his criticism of Zaharudin, who described the comments by the human resources minister on his Facebook post as prejudicial. In his post, Zaharudin had speculated that Malaysia could see its first prime minister of Chinese descent in the next 30 to 40 years. Zaharudin, the son-in-law of PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang, also uploaded a screenshot of a news report about Johnny Lim's promotion which he said was only for illustrative purposes. The post, which was subsequently deleted, prompted accusations of racism from several quarters and criticism, including from Zaharudin's own party. Sim was among those who had called for Zaharudin to be investigated. He accused Zaharudin of fanning racial sentiments and said that he had merely spoken out against racism when criticising him. Zaharudin said he travelled from Kuala Lumpur to Sim's parliamentary service centre in Bukit Mertajam, Penang, yesterday to personally deliver the letter of demand, but was unable to do so as the office was closed. 'I went to the Bukit Mertajam MP's service centre but unfortunately, no one was there. 'He (Sim) accused me of insulting the armed forces, of being racist, and more. I've sent the letter and am now awaiting his public apology. My lawyer will also follow up by sending it via email,' he told FMT . Zaharudin also challenged Sim to a public debate on the Malaysia My Second Home programme, which he said was the actual issue he had intended to raise – not the alleged questioning of the Chinese lieutenant-general's promotion. - FMT * Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel and Telegram for breaking news alerts and key updates! * Do you have access to the Daily Express e-paper and online exclusive news? Check out subscription plans available.
Stay up-to-date by following Daily Express's Telegram channel. Daily Express Malaysia

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Malaysiakini
an hour ago
- Malaysiakini
Hadi's son-in-law demands apology from Sim
PAS leader Zaharudin Muhammad has initiated legal action against Human Resources Minister Steven Sim for allegedly slandering him. This was in regard to a statement made by Sim last week, where the DAP deputy secretary-general criticised Zaharudin's controversial remarks about the promotion of the army's first Chinese lieutenant general.


The Star
an hour ago
- The Star
Ambalat issue: Proposal for joint development in Sulawesi Sea yet to be finalised
JAKARTA: Malaysia's Deputy Foreign Minister, Datuk Mohamad Alamin (pic), stated that the proposal for Malaysia and Indonesia to jointly develop economic potential in the Sulawesi Sea area has yet to be finalised. He said that several processes must be considered beforehand, especially securing the views and consent of the Sabah State Government. He added that the existing consultation mechanisms between the Federal Government and the Sabah State Government will be fully utilised, including the Action Council for Implementation of the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MTPMA63), which is chaired by the Prime Minister, Sabah Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor, and Sarawak Premier Tan Sri Abang Johari Tun Openg. "In any case, the joint development in the Sulawesi Sea remains under consideration and has indeed not yet been finalised,' he said in a Facebook post on Friday (July 4). Mohamad noted that the proposal for joint developmet in the Sulawesi Sea involving Blocks ND6 and ND7 - referred to by Indonesia as "Ambalat' - is not new, as the area is reported to hold significant natural resources such as oil and gas. According to him, in 2022, the Prime Minister at the time had directed Petronas to consider conducting a study on the proposed joint development (JD) initiative. Most recently, Mohamad said that the issue concerning Blocks ND6 and ND7 was also raised during Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim's working visit to Jakarta on June 27. "This matter was indeed discussed. However, it has not yet been finalised. In fact, the Prime Minister himself stated that the interests of the Sabah region must be taken into account and considered fairly,' he explained. Mohamad said Malaysia and Indonesia are still unable to explore the two blocks, as the area remains under dispute in terms of maritime boundaries between the two countries. "Given the significant economic potential - while the process of finalising maritime boundaries in the Sulawesi Sea between the two countries is still ongoing - some parties have proposed that Malaysia and Indonesia jointly develop this potential.' Mohamad emphasised that the process of finalising the maritime boundary in the Sulawesi Sea is a long-term and complex effort, carried out through a Technical Committee led by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The committee comprises various government agencies, including the Sabah State Government, the National Security Council (Sabah), the Sabah Attorney General's Office, the Department of Survey and Mapping Malaysia (JUPEM), the Sabah Lands and Surveys Department, as well as other relevant technical agencies. Mohamad stressed that the Malaysian Government remains committed to thoroughly examining the matter and reaching a mutual understanding through negotiations based on existing mechanisms. In any development, the country's sovereignty and strategic interests - particularly those involving the state of Sabah - will continue to be safeguarded and defended to the fullest extent, Mohamad said. He stated that the maritime boundary agreement signed with Indonesia in 2023 does not affect Malaysia's territorial rights or sovereignty over the eastern waters of Sabah. He said the Sulawesi Sea Treaty, signed on June 8, 2023 and known as the 2023 Sulawesi Treaty, only covers a portion of the territorial sea off the east coast of Sabah and does not include Malaysia's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). "The agreement does not cover the area known as Blocks ND6 and ND7, or referred to by Indonesia as 'Ambalat', which lies within Malaysia's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) extending up to 200 nautical miles.' Mohamad also dismissed allegations that the Malaysian Government had compromised Sabah's territorial rights and sovereignty to Indonesia following the signing of the 2023 Sulawesi Treaty. - Bernama


Borneo Post
2 hours ago
- Borneo Post
SCCC strengthens East Malaysia economic ties through Sarawak visit
Datuk Frankie Liew (center) with Datuk Seri Lau Wei Chiang JP (third from right), Temenggong Datuk Chin Nyuk Fei (third from left) and other Sarawak Chinese leaders. KOTA KINABALU (July 4): The Sabah-China Chamber of Commerce (SCCC), led by President Datuk Frankie Liew, held a meaningful exchange session with Sarawak Chinese community leaders yesterday, reaching a consensus to maintain close communication and cooperation. The aim is to promote economic collaboration between Sabah and Sarawak, inject new vitality into regional development, and position East Malaysia as a strategic hub for Chinese investment into ASEAN. Liew visited Kuching where he paid courtesy calls on local Chinese community leaders and municipal council chairpersons. He was hosted at a luncheon by Datuk Seri Lau Wei Chiang JP, President of the Federation of Foochow Associations of Malaysia and Executive President of the World Federation of Foochow Associations. Both parties engaged in in-depth discussions on future cooperation opportunities. Among the prominent Sarawak Chinese leaders present at the gathering were Temenggong Datuk Chin Nyuk Fei, the highest-ranking Chinese leader in Kuching Division, Padawan Municipal Council chairman Chen Kai, Datuk Kong Chai Hing, Datuk Chai Chuan Wei and Chen Zezhang. Liew stated that the purpose of this visit was to enhance economic cooperation between Sabah and Sarawak and to jointly promote investment and trade activities between East Malaysia and China. 'The main objective of this trip is to strengthen collaboration between Sabah and Sarawak in the economic, cultural and social spheres, especially in attracting Chinese investments,' he explained. He emphasized that Sabah and Sarawak are geographically adjacent, rich in talent and resources, and strategically located — making them ideal gateways for Chinese enterprises investing in East Malaysia and the broader ASEAN region. During the meeting with Sarawak Chinese leaders, various potential cooperation projects were discussed, including those in manufacturing, agriculture, and infrastructure development. Liew stressed that both Sabah and Sarawak possess abundant natural resources and favorable investment environments. Their strengths in energy and industrial park development offer unique advantages. Collaboration between the two states would enable synergy and contribute significantly to regional economic growth. He also highlighted that the SCCC had previously accompanied a Sabah state government delegation on an official visit to Jilin Province, China, where they signed cooperation agreements worth approximately RM600 million. These projects cover sectors such as agriculture and manufacturing and have already brought substantial economic benefits and job opportunities to Sabah. 'Through this visit, we hope to deepen our cooperation with Sarawak and attract more Chinese enterprises to invest in East Malaysia, driving shared economic prosperity,' Liew said. He noted that this meeting marked an important step forward in the economic collaboration between Sabah and Sarawak. Both sides will continue maintaining close contact and actively pursue concrete cooperation projects that bring fresh momentum to regional economic development. 'Sabah and Sarawak share bright prospects for cooperation. With complementary advantages in resources, industries and policy environments, both states can offer Chinese businesses more opportunities to expand into Southeast Asia,' he added.