
Cuban minister resigns after suggesting beggars are pretending
Cuba's presidency said in a post on social media on Wednesday that Feito had 'acknowledged her errors and submitted her resignation' over her 'lack of objectivity and sensitivity' in addressing issues that are 'at the centre of political and governmental management'.
The news came a day after Feito made the comments about poverty in the island nation to deputies in a National Assembly committee.
'We have seen people, apparently beggars, [but] when you look at their hands, look at the clothes these people are wearing, they are disguised as beggars. They are not beggars,' Feito said.
'In Cuba, there are no beggars,' she said.
The minister added that people cleaning car windscreens live 'easy' lives and they use the money they make to 'drink alcohol'.
Feito also lashed out against those who search through rubbish dumps, saying they are recovering materials 'to resell and not pay tax'.
The remarks quickly went viral, prompting calls for Feito's impeachment and a wave of criticism in a country experiencing a tough economic situation in recent years.
Even Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel was critical.
Without mentioning her by name but referring to the meeting at the National Assembly committee in which Feito participated, Diaz-Canel said on his X account: 'The lack of sensitivity in addressing vulnerability is highly questionable. The revolution cannot leave anyone behind; that is our motto, our militant responsibility.'
Cuba blames its economic woes on a Cold War-era United States trade embargo, which complicates financial transactions and the acquisition of essentials, such as fuel and spare parts. The US imposed the embargo in 1960 after the Cuban Revolution, led by Fidel Castro.
The embargo is widely criticised with 185 of 193 countries at the United Nations voting to condemn it.
US President Donald Trump recently tightened sanctions on the island's Communist Party-run government, pledging to restore a 'tough' policy towards the Caribbean country.
Former US President Barack Obama took considerable steps to ease tensions with Cuba during his time in office, including restoring US-Cuba relations and making the first visit by a US president to the country in 90 years. Cuba has also faced an energy crisis and blackouts in recent months as supplies of subsidised Venezuelan oil have become increasingly precarious as Venezuela grapples with its own economic woes.
Last week, the US Department of State imposed sanctions against Diaz-Canel as well as the luxury high-rise Hotel Torre K in central Havana.
Travel and tourism are important to Cuba's struggling economy with millions of tourists visiting the island nation each year.
According to the UN Conference on Trade and Development, Cuba had a gross domestic product of $9,296 per person in 2019, making it an upper middle income country.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Al Jazeera
3 days ago
- Al Jazeera
Brazil's Supreme Court declines to arrest Bolsonaro over social media ban
The Brazilian Supreme Court has confirmed it has no plans to take former President Jair Bolsonaro into custody for now, after it warned earlier this week he could be arrested for a potential violation of a social media ban. On Thursday, Justice Alexandre de Moraes described the incident as 'isolated' and opted against an arrest warrant. De Moraes has overseen a case into whether Bolsonaro, a popular far-right figure, attempted a coup against the government of current President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, following his defeat in the 2022 presidential election. The case has been a flashpoint in national and international politics, with Bolsonaro's supporters — among them, United States President Donald Trump — calling the prosecution politically motivated. Bolsonaro has long denied orchestrating a scheme to retain power after his four-year term came to a close in 2023. But prosecutors have accused the former president and his allies of scheming to topple Lula's incoming government by undermining confidence in the vote, declaring a state of emergency to suspend the government's functions, and ultimately holding a new election. Bolsonaro never publicly acknowledged his loss in 2022, and he left the country at the end of his term rather than hand over power to Lula. His supporters, meanwhile, stormed police headquarters in the capital, blocked highways, and eventually ransacked government buildings representing the presidency, Congress and the Supreme Court, in an apparent attempt to spark a military uprising. In June, Bolsonaro testified for the first time in the case, forcefully rejecting the allegations against him: 'There was never any talk of a coup.' Prosecutors, meanwhile, have pointed to testimony indicating that Bolsonaro had received and edited a draft from his allies for the declaration of emergency. They say Bolsonaro even had a speech prepared to announce the alleged coup. The high-stakes trial has prompted a backlash from Trump, who threatened to impose 50 percent tariffs on Brazilian imports to the US, starting on August 1, to force an end to the prosecution. In a letter announcing the tariffs, Trump called the proceedings 'an international disgrace' and compared his myriad legal woes to Bolsonaro's. 'This trial should not be taking place,' Trump wrote. 'It is a Witch Hunt that should end IMMEDIATELY!' Justice de Moraes cited international pressure as he imposed a suite of restrictions last Friday to cut off Bolsonaro's interactions with foreign officials and curtail his movements. Already, Bolsonaro's passport had been confiscated, for fear he might be a flight risk. But to prevent him from fleeing abroad, de Moraes ruled that Bolsonaro should be placed under house arrest on nights and weekends. In addition, the justice decided that Bolsonaro needed to wear an ankle monitor and cease posting to social media, in addition to severing contact with foreign governments. Since that time, however, Bolsonaro has made media appearances to show off his ankle monitor and blast the Supreme Court's decisions, excerpts of which have been shared widely on social media. 'This is a symbol of the utmost humiliation,' Bolsonaro said of his ankle monitor. De Moraes accused Bolsonaro of having 'delivered a speech to be shown on digital platforms' and questioned whether it may have been a breach of the ban he imposed. He gave Bolsonaro's lawyers a window of 24 hours to respond to his concerns and warned that a violation could result in Bolsonaro's arrest. Bolsonaro's defence team, in response, denied breaching the social media ban and asked for clarity about its scope. The ban had restricted Bolsonaro's use of third parties to spread his messaging — but it was unclear whether news media fell within that category. In a court filing on Friday, de Moraes ultimately declined to detain Bolsonaro but warned that any future violations of his restrictions would culminate in his arrest. He clarified that Bolsonaro is not restricted from giving interviews to news outlets.


Al Jazeera
3 days ago
- Al Jazeera
Trump interfering in Brazil's legal process
Trump interfering in Brazil's legal process Compare & Contrast We compare and contrast how Donald Trump stayed silent when Brazil's leftist leader Lula da Silva was jailed in 2018, but has been loudly condemning the current prosecution of his far-right ally, former president Jair Bolsonaro, as a 'witch hunt'. Video Duration 00 minutes 46 seconds 00:46 Video Duration 00 minutes 53 seconds 00:53 Video Duration 00 minutes 49 seconds 00:49 Video Duration 01 minutes 12 seconds 01:12 Video Duration 01 minutes 39 seconds 01:39 Video Duration 01 minutes 20 seconds 01:20 Video Duration 00 minutes 50 seconds 00:50


Al Jazeera
6 days ago
- Al Jazeera
US to deport Haitian legal permanent residents with alleged gang ties
The administration of President Donald Trump has said it will deport Haitians living in the United States as legal permanent residents if they are deemed to have 'supported and collaborated' with a Haitian gang. The announcement on Monday is the latest move against Haitians living in the US amid the president's mass deportation drive, and comes as the Trump administration has sought to end two other legal statuses for Haitians. The update also comes as rights groups are questioning how the Trump administration determines connections to organisations it deems 'terrorist organisations'. In a statement, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio did not reveal how many people were being targeted or any names, saying only that 'certain individuals with US lawful permanent resident status have supported and collaborated with Haitian gang leaders connected to Viv Ansanm'. Following the determination, the Department of Homeland Security can pursue the deportation of the lawful permanent residents, also known as green-card holders, Rubio added. As the Trump administration has sought to ramp up deportations, the State Department has been invoking broad powers under the Immigration and Nationality Act to attempt to deport people living in the US on various visas, including as permanent legal residents or students. Under the law, the state secretary can expel anyone whose presence in the US is deemed to have 'potentially serious adverse foreign policy consequences for the United States'. The administration has sought to deport four people under the law for their pro-Palestine advocacy, which the State Department repeatedly equated, without evidence, to anti-Semitism and support for the 'terrorist'-designated group Hamas. All four people are challenging their deportations and arrests in immigration and federal courts. In the statement regarding Haitians on Monday, Rubio said the US 'will not allow individuals to enjoy the benefits of legal status in our country while they are facilitating the actions of violent organisations or supporting criminal terrorist organisations'. In May, the State Department labelled the Viv Ansanm and Gran Grif gangs 'foreign terrorist organisations', calling them a 'direct threat to US national security interests in our region'. That followed the February designation of eight Latin American criminal groups as 'terrorist organisations', including the Venezuelan-based Tren de Aragua. The administration has used alleged affiliation with the gang to justify swiftly deporting Venezuelans living in the US without documentation under an 18th-century wartime law known as the Alien Enemies Act. Critics have said the removal flouted due process, with court documents indicating that some of the affected men were targeted for nothing more than tattoos or clothing said to be associated with the group. Haitians singled out The Haitian community living in the US has been prominently targeted by Trump, first during his campaign, when he falsely accused Haitian migrants in Springfield, Ohio, of 'eating' pets. Since taking office, the administration has sought to end several legal statuses for Haitians, including a special humanitarian parole programme under former President Joe Biden, under which more than 200,000 Haitians legally entered the US. In May, the US Supreme Court allowed the Trump administration to end the special status. The Trump administration has also sought to end temporary protected status (TPS) for Haitians, a legal status granted to those already living in the US whose home countries are deemed unsafe to return to. In late June, despite the violent crime crisis gripping Haiti, US Secretary of Homeland Security Kristi Noem declared that the Caribbean nation no longer met the conditions for TPS. However, earlier this month, a federal judge blocked the administration from prematurely halting the programme before its currently scheduled end in February 2026.