logo
Jobless rate rises to highest level since 2021 as number of unemployed Australians jumps

Jobless rate rises to highest level since 2021 as number of unemployed Australians jumps

SBS Australia6 days ago
The jobless rate has risen to 4.3 per cent — its highest rate since 2021 — surpassing expectations as the number of unemployed Australians jumped. Financial markets had expected the rate to remain steady at 4.1 per cent in June, but there was a nearly 34,000 increase in people without work, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Employment rose by 2,000, up 2 per cent compared to the same month last year, after part-time employment grew by 40,000 and full-time employment fell by 38,000 people.
The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) will closely monitor the labour market before its next monetary policy meeting in August, NAB's head of Australian economics Gareth Spence said.
"The focus for the RBA will be ensuring the labour market remains healthy going forward," Spence said "The timing of [rate] cuts is not super important. It's more about, where do they end up?" Most economists had pencilled in a 0.25 per cent cut on the back of slowing inflation growth. Spence still expected the jobless rate to climb to 4.4 per cent by the end of 2025, but said economic indicators point to the labour market still being in a strong position. RBA said in its latest monetary policy decision that labour market conditions remained tight. "Measures of labour under-utilisation are at relatively low rates and business surveys and liaison suggest that availability of labour is still a constraint for a range of employers. "Alternatively, labour market outcomes may prove stronger than expected, given the signal from a range of leading indicators."
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

AusSuper's Manuell on why big super funds need to be active investors
AusSuper's Manuell on why big super funds need to be active investors

AU Financial Review

time6 minutes ago

  • AU Financial Review

AusSuper's Manuell on why big super funds need to be active investors

Australia's $4.1 trillion superannuation system is a fantastic tax-effective productivity war chest, but are those responsible for overseeing it shirking their duty to the country by passively allocating it to companies based on index position and size? That's the cracking question from AustralianSuper's Shaun Manuell, the country's biggest active equities' investor, who oversees $97 billion worth of Australian shares, or an estimated 3.2 per cent of the ASX.

Land and Environment Court dismisses Martins Creek Quarry expansion appeal
Land and Environment Court dismisses Martins Creek Quarry expansion appeal

ABC News

time6 minutes ago

  • ABC News

Land and Environment Court dismisses Martins Creek Quarry expansion appeal

The Land and Environment Court has dismissed an appeal to expand a controversial hard rock quarry in the New South Wales Hunter Valley which residents hope will be the end of a decade-long fight. In 2022 resources company Daracon lodged plans to expand the Martins Creek Quarry, north-west of Newcastle, to allow it to extract more than a million tonnes of rock materials, like gravel, each year. It was expected the expansion would generate up to 160 truck movements a day through several Hunter Valley towns, including the historic Paterson village and Bolwarra. In February 2023, the NSW Independent Planning Commission (IPC) refused the expansion finding it would have "unreasonable" and "unacceptable" impacts for communities on the haulage route. Daracon appealed the decision, arguing it would benefit the workforce and provide materials for local infrastructure projects in the construction and roads industries, but that appeal was knocked back again by the Land and Environment Court on Wednesday. In the court's judgement, Commissioner Peter Walsh and Acting Commissioner Michael Young said negative consequences of the project outweighed the positives. "The beneficial impacts of the [application] relate principally to the supply of the quarry's product for the construction sector and particularly for infrastructure projects of public significance," the commissioners said. "The negative consequences are particularly in relation to adverse traffic and pedestrian safety implications, and social and amenity-related impacts in the local area. The Martins Creek Quarry Action Group have lobbied against the expansion of the quarry for more than a decade. Its president, Luke Barker, told ABC Newcastle Drive the majority of the community would be "in high spirits" hearing the news. He said the main reason many in the community had been against expanding the quarry was due to safety concerns and the impact on small roads in the area. "It's fantastic that the commissioner has seen what that impact has been and what that impact would be for not only this current generation of people but the generations to come," Mr Barker said. "There's people moving through the township all the time, crossing roads between the post office, the chemist, the local eateries, the pubs, supermarket. "Then we have a very high tourism aspect. It's a great stopover spot for people coming through. "It's just the impacts on the community were just too much to bear." He said the group was not against the quarry remaining operational into the future at its current size and scope. In a statement a Daracon spokesperson told the ABC the company was disappointed by the IPC's decision. "For more than a decade Daracon has led a rigorous process of environmental studies and stakeholder engagement which has seen the application amended a multitude of times to create compromises, resulting in a recommendation for approval by the then-NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure in 2022," the spokesperson said. "It is disappointing that today's decision does not uphold that. The spokesperson said the company was disappointed it would not be able to supply construction materials from the site to local infrastructure projects. "We will now take time to assess the future of the quarry," the spokesperson said.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store