
Assam's third ‘high-performance sports training & rehabilitation centre' opens in Kokrajhar
The project is a joint initiative of the Department of Sports and Youth Welfare, Abhinav Futuristic Private Ltd, Oil India Ltd and Numaligarh Refinery Ltd.
Kokrajhar (Assam), Jul 15 (PTI) A 'high-performance sports training and rehabilitation centre', the third of its kind in Assam in collaboration with Olympian Abhinav Bindra and others, was inaugurated by Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma in Kokrajhar on Tuesday.
Speaking on the occasion, Sarma said the centre has been designed to prove itself to be a boon for the Bodoland Territorial Region (BTR), which has many sporting talents.
Assam has now become the first state to have three high-performance sports training and rehabilitation centres, with the other two in Guwahati and Jorhat, the release stated.
Emphasising that there is no dearth of sporting talents in the state, Sarma said around 73 lakh sportspersons participated in various disciplines in 'Khel Maharan' competitions.
Due to lack of proper exposure, some of the players do not get the opportunity to showcase their skills at the national and global level. These centres will together give a much-needed fillip to the sports talents to raise their performance level, the chief minister said.
Sarma said his government is working to create sports infrastructure across the state along with hostel facilities in the training centres for the players.
Sarma also said a Rs 125-crore football stadium will come up at Kokrajhar.
He said the Assam government is considering opening rehabilitation centres in medical college and hospitals, too, in the next two to three years. PTI SSG RBT
This report is auto-generated from PTI news service. ThePrint holds no responsibility for its content.
Hashtags

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


News18
2 hours ago
- News18
Satwik-Chirag Hope To Stay Fit: 'Once He's Better, I'll Have Some Niggles...'
Last Updated: Satwiksairaj Rankireddy is focused on staying fit ahead of the World Championships. Despite recurring injuries, Satwik and Chirag Shetty have reached three semifinals this season. Top Indian shuttler Satwiksairaj Rankireddy is relieved to see positive results on the court despite recurring injury setbacks and stated that the focus ahead of next month's World Championships is on staying fit, without any long-term goals in mind. Satwik and Chirag Shetty have reached three semifinals this season, including a quarterfinal finish at the Indonesia Open last month. After semifinal runs at the Malaysia Open and India Open in January, the Indian duo was sidelined for several weeks due to Satwik's health concerns and Chirag's persistent back injury. They returned to the circuit with a semifinal appearance at the Singapore Open and a quarterfinal showing in Indonesia. On Wednesday, the former world No. 1 pair began their Japan Open Super 750 campaign with a comfortable 21-18, 21-10 win over Korea's Kang Min Hyuk and Kim Won Ho. What Did Satwik Say? 'For us, it's to get fit 100%. It's always up and down. Once he's better, I'll have some niggles. Once I'm better, he's having some niggles. So we haven't played without injury from past one year. So we have been struggling with niggles," said Satwik. 'Still, we are managing to play some good quality games. So that is a positive side. But right now, our aim is to get injury-free and be healthy all the time." The Japan Open will be followed by the China Open Super 1000 before the top players head to Paris for the World Championships, scheduled from August 25 to 31. 'Just not thinking so much ahead. No goals as of now. Obviously, we want to do well, but at the same time, we want to be healthy," Satwik added. 'And once we are healthy, I know we can do that. So the only thing is injuries are holding us, restricting our game. But right now, we are both feeling good because we had a break after Singapore. Both are really fit enough, so we'll see how it goes." What Did Chirag Say? Chirag echoed Satwik's sentiments and said the break after the Indonesia Open was essential for recovery. 'No, it was actually needed. So we had sent entry for US, Canada as well. But after Singapore and Indonesia, we needed that break because I especially was not fit enough," the Mumbai shuttler said. 'I think leading up to the Singapore-Indonesia Open. But right now, I had some good couple of weeks. So body feels much better than it was. We just took a break the first week after we got back, freshened up. And then got back to practice. 'I was out for post-All England. I had to withdraw. And then for two months, I was out. Not really fit going into Singapore-Indonesia, but now it's a lot better." (With inputs from PTI) First Published: July 16, 2025, 20:42 IST Disclaimer: Comments reflect users' views, not News18's. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.


News18
3 hours ago
- News18
Fauja Singh Once Said Punjab Felt Unsafe. Here's Where He Wished To Spend His Last Days
Last Updated: In 2015, Fauja Singh spoke candidly to PTI at his home in Beas. At the time, he expressed deep concerns about safety in his homeland Fauja Singh, the world's oldest marathon runner and a global symbol of strength and spirit, had always hoped to spend his final days in Britain — a wish that, sadly, went unfulfilled. In 2015, during a visit to Punjab for a sports event, Fauja Singh spoke candidly to PTI at his home in Beas. At the time, he expressed deep concerns about safety in his homeland. 'Here (Punjab), there are bad elements everywhere. Police cannot do anything. No one knows when they will stab, rob and hit someone and run away. This is not the case in London. That is why I want to spend my last time there," he had said. Tragically, his words proved prophetic. On Monday afternoon, while out for a walk near his village, Fauja Singh was hit by a vehicle on the Jalandhar-Pathankot highway. He later died from his injuries. He was 114. Known as the 'Turbaned Tornado', Fauja Singh only began running marathons at the age of 89. Over the next two decades, he became a legend in the athletics world, known not just for his stamina but for his positivity and humble lifestyle. 'Wish I Could Win A Medal For My Country' During that same 2015 interview, dressed in a simple Pathani kurta-pyjama, he had reflected on his life with both pride and a hint of regret. 'I will always regret that none of my medals were won for India. People kept calling me a British runner. I didn't like that. But what could I do? I had become a British citizen," he had said, showing his medals quietly. 'I wish I could have won just one for my country." Showing his medals with a sigh, Fauja said, 'I wish I could win a medal for my country. I have won all these, but it is of no use to me because not a single medal is for India." His secret to good health? ' Pinni and dil ki khushi," he smiled. 'I eat pinni every day, drink warm water, have a glass of milk before bed, and eat curd in every season. Whether I'm in India or Britain. I eat these things and am always happy. This is the biggest secret of my health." (With inputs from PTI) view comments First Published: July 16, 2025, 20:10 IST Disclaimer: Comments reflect users' views, not News18's. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
&w=3840&q=100)

Business Standard
7 hours ago
- Business Standard
India's football ecosystem is scared with uncertainty: Chhetri on ISL pause
Former captain and top striker Sunil Chhetri on Wednesday said the current state of "uncertainty" in Indian football is very concerning and the sport's ecosystem is "worried, hurt, and scared" by the top-tier ISL being put on hold indefinitely. Chhetri, who turns up for Bengaluru FC in the league, said he has been inundated with phone calls and messages expressing apprehensions about the future of the sport in the country. "It began with worrying about how I am on borrowed time with what I have left in the tank. But speaking with players from across clubs, I've realised that my selfish problem isn't as important," the 40-year-old Chhetri posted on X. "The current situation that Indian football finds itself in, is very concerning. I've received a flurry of texts from players, staff members, physios, masseurs - not just from my club, but from other clubs as well. When my phone went off a few weeks ago informing us of a delay in pre-season by a fortnight, I must admit it made me smile. And that's because I was on vacation, hadn't moved as much as I would have liked to, and hadn't been eating as clean as I usually do. I had more time than I… — Sunil Chhetri (@chetrisunil11) July 16, 2025 "Everybody in the Indian football ecosystem is worried, hurt, scared about the uncertainty we are faced with," he added. The ISL (Indian Super League) put the 2025-26 season "on hold" due to uncertainty surrounding the renewal of Master Rights Agreement (MRA) between the event organisers and the All India Football Federation. The league normally runs from September to April, and the current MRA between Football Sports Development Limited (FSDL), which organises the event, and the AIFF is scheduled to expire on December 8, 2025, by which time the ISL would be into its third month. This was after a Supreme Court directive to AIFF in which the body was asked not to negotiate new terms of the MRA with FSDL, the apex governing body's commercial partner running the ISL, until a final judgment is delivered in the AIFF draft constitution case. FSDL is also the commercial partner of AIFF, and they signed a 15-year MRA in 2010. According to the MRA, FSDL pays the AIFF Rs 50 crore annually, and in turn gets the rights to broadcast, manage and commercialise Indian football, which also includes the national team. Chhetri said he was on vacation when he first learnt about the league being put on hold. "...I must admit it made me smile. And that's because I was on vacation, hadn't moved as much as I would have liked to, and hadn't been eating as clean as I usually do. I had more time than I had bargained to get in shape. "That 'fortnight' has now changed to 'indefinitely' and that smile's been wiped out. I know that the think tank and all those involved in running the sport are working to get the football season up and running, and I'm hopeful that there is a solid fix sooner rather than later," he said. The star player, who has come out of international retirement to bolster the Indian team that is enduring continuous poor results, urged for patience nonetheless. "I may not have all the answers, but my message to all those involved with Indian football and more importantly the ones whose livelihood depends on it, the players, staff, kitmen, masseurs, medical teams, production crews, operations staff please stay calm. "We'll ride this storm together. Stick together and look out for each other. Keep training and getting better. Football has to resume soon. It will," he signed off. The AIFF has said it is "conscious" of ISL's importance to the football ecosystem but had to respect the law of the land by following the Supreme Court directive. (Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)