logo
Japan rice prices double, raising pressure on PM

Japan rice prices double, raising pressure on PM

Kuwait Times6 days ago
TOKYO: Rice prices in Japan soared 99.2 percent in June year-on-year, official data showed Friday, piling further pressure on Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba ahead of elections this weekend. Public support for Ishiba's administration has tumbled to its lowest level since he took office last year, partly because of frustration over the cost of living.
One of the main sources of anger has been inflation and in particular the surging cost of rice, as well as scandals within the ruling party. The price of the grain already rocketed 101 percent year-on-year in May, having jumped 98.4 percent in April and more than 92.5 percent in March.
Overall, Japan's core inflation rate slowed to 3.3 percent last month from 3.7 percent in May, the data from the internal affairs ministry showed. The reading, which excludes volatile fresh food prices, was slightly below market expectations of 3.4 percent. Excluding energy and also fresh food, consumer prices rose 3.4 percent, compared with 3.3 percent in May.
Opinion polls ahead of Sunday's election suggest the ruling coalition may lose its majority in the upper house. This could force Ishiba to resign after less than a year in office. In October, his coalition was deprived of a majority in the powerful lower house. It was the worst election result in 15 years for the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), which has governed Japan almost continuously since 1955.
Ishiba is under additional pressure to reach a trade deal with the United States before new tariffs of 25 percent take effect on August 1. Japan's important auto imports into the world's biggest economy are already subject to painful levies, as are steel and aluminum. US President Donald Trump wants to get Japanese firms to manufacture more in the United States, and Tokyo to buy more US goods—notably gas and oil, cars and rice—to reduce the $70 billion trade deficit with the Asian powerhouse. Ishiba, who has sent his trade envoy Ryosei Akazawa to Washington seven times to try and broker a deal, was due to host US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent on Friday.
Akazawa was also set to join the talks, and travel with Bessent to visit the World Expo in Osaka on Saturday, the Japanese government said. The Bank of Japan has been tightening monetary policy since last year as inflation crept up but worries about the impact of US tariffs on the world's number four economy has forced it to take a slower approach.
Factors behind the rising price of rice include shortages due to an intensely hot and dry summer two years ago that damaged harvests nationwide. Since then some traders have been hoarding rice in a bid to boost their profits down the line, experts say. The issue was made worse by panic buying last year prompted by a government warning about a potential 'megaquake' that did not strike.
The government has taken the rare step of releasing its emergency stockpile since February, which it typically only ever did during disasters. 'Policy flip-flops, delayed pass-through from producer to consumer prices, and yen depreciation will keep price pressures elevated in the near term,' said Stefan Angrick at Moody's Analytics. 'With nominal pay gains stuttering, real wages won't get the lift they need any time soon. And pay growth will likely slow further as US tariffs and tariff threats hit manufacturing and employment conditions,' he said in a note.
'This leaves the Bank of Japan in a bind... We expect the BoJ will stay on hold for now, but not for long. A rate hike is likely by January and could come as early as December.' – AFP
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Kuwait delegation heads to China for project talks
Kuwait delegation heads to China for project talks

Kuwait Times

time7 hours ago

  • Kuwait Times

Kuwait delegation heads to China for project talks

Kuwait delegation heads to China for project talks Wastewater treatment, green energy and desertification on agenda of next phase of bilateral cooperation KUWAIT: A high-level technical delegation from Kuwait's Ministry of Public Works is set to travel to China early next week to discuss the launch of a major wastewater treatment initiative. The upcoming visit was announced during a ministerial committee meeting chaired by His Highness the Prime Minister Sheikh Ahmad Al-Abdullah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah at Bayan Palace on Wednesday. The meeting focused on tracking progress in implementing a series of agreements and memoranda of understanding signed between Kuwait and China. According to Assistant Foreign Minister for Asian Affairs and committee rapporteur, Ambassador Sameeh Johar Hayat, the visiting delegation will work with Chinese counterparts as part of ongoing efforts to strengthen cooperation on infrastructure and environmental development between the two countries. The meeting - the committee's 20th - also reviewed updates on several joint projects, including the Mubarak Al-Kabeer Port, renewable energy initiatives, green waste recycling systems, housing development and free economic zones. 'The Prime Minister directed the committee to intensify efforts to fulfill the aspirations of His Highness the Amir Sheikh Meshal Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah and His Highness the Crown Prince Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah, and to push forward Kuwait's development goals through coordinated government action,' a statement said. Ambassador Hayat also shared details of a recent eight-day visit by a Chinese government delegation focused on combating desertification. The delegation met with senior Kuwaiti officials and conducted field visits to areas in need of land rehabilitation. The outcome was a technical report outlining practical steps for joint action on land reclamation and ecosystem restoration. The committee emphasized that work would continue in phases as part of Kuwait's national environmental strategy, in line with 'high-level directives' to expand green programs, protect natural resources and curb the encroachment of sand. Among those present at the meeting were Minister of Public Works Dr Noura Al-Mashaan, Minister of Finance and Minister of State for Economic Affairs and Investment Noura Al-Fassam, Minister of Electricity, Water and Renewable Energy Dr Sabeeh Al-Mukhaizeem, Acting Chief of the Prime Minister's Diwan Sheikh Khaled Mohammad Al-Khaled Al-Sabah, and Head of the Fatwa and Legislation Department Counselor Salah Al-Majed. — KUNA

EU, Japan vow joint push for ‘fair' global trade
EU, Japan vow joint push for ‘fair' global trade

Kuwait Times

time13 hours ago

  • Kuwait Times

EU, Japan vow joint push for ‘fair' global trade

TOKYO: European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen (right) and Japan's Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba attend a joint press briefing after their meeting during the EU-Japan Summit at the prime minister's office in Tokyo on July 23, 2025. — AFP TOKYO: The EU and Japan pledged on Wednesday to work together on championing a 'free and fair' trade global system, as US tariffs and disputes with China rattle their economies. Brussels and Tokyo announced a 'competitiveness alliance' to increase bilateral trade, address unfair practices, and boost innovation, at a summit in the Japanese capital. 'In today's world, competitiveness has to be built with trusted partners such as Japan,' European Union chief Ursula von der Leyen told journalists after talks with Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba. 'Together, Europe and Japan represent a fifth of global GDP and a market of 600 million people,' she added. 'So, we have the scale to shape global rules on trade and tech in line with our values of fairness and openness.' Facing a swirl of speculation over his future following a weekend election debacle, Ishiba said the EU and Japan concurred to work together to strengthen a 'stable and predictable rules-based free and fair economic order'. Von der Leyen congratulated the prime minister on his 'successful negotiations' to secure a tariff deal with Washington, a feat that has so far escaped the European Commission she leads. US President Donald Trump announced Tuesday a 'massive' trade deal with Japan, as a deadline looms for the EU and other major US trade partners to strike agreements or face steep levies. Tokyo said the deal would see a tariff on Japanese car cut to 15 percent. The EU's top trade negotiator Maros Sefcovic is due to speak once again to US Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick later on Wednesday. Von der Leyen's commission, the EU's top executive body, is in charge of trade policy for the 27-nation bloc. 'In a world of growing uncertainty, we are also stepping up joint efforts to boost economic security and resilience,' Antonio Costa told journalists in Tokyo. Costa heads the European Council representing EU member states. He said the EU and Japan—who back Ukraine in its war with Russia—would push to deepen cooperation between their defence industries. Costa and von der Leyen will visit Beijing next for talks with China's top leaders on Thursday. Beijing and Brussels will mark the 50th anniversary of their establishment of diplomatic ties. But differences over state subsidies, market access and China's support for Russia are set to overshadow the event. –AFP

More Flights To India? Not For Goan's As Direct Kuwait Route Gets Cancelled
More Flights To India? Not For Goan's As Direct Kuwait Route Gets Cancelled

Arab Times

time20 hours ago

  • Arab Times

More Flights To India? Not For Goan's As Direct Kuwait Route Gets Cancelled

KUWAIT CITY, July 14: Air India Express is set to suspend its direct Kuwait-Goa-Kuwait service from July 31, just months after launching the route in May, sparking frustration and concern among the large Goan community working and residing in Kuwait. The budget carrier's decision to halt the short-lived route has left many Goans deeply disappointed, especially those who had embraced the direct flight as a much-needed, cost-effective lifeline connecting them to their home state. For thousands of Goan workers in the Gulf nation, the now-suspended flight offered a rare combination of affordability and convenience. Without it, many are forced to rely on longer, pricier journeys with layovers in Mumbai, Doha, or Dubai. The move comes amid growing concern over Goa's dwindling international air connectivity, an alarming trend for a state that not only thrives on inbound tourism but also has a vast expatriate population spread across the Gulf and Europe. With rising demand and limited alternatives, pressure is now mounting on both the airline and the Indian government to revisit the decision and restore what many consider a 'crucial bridge' between the Middle East and the coastal Indian state. Meanwhile, The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) confirmed that the memorandum of understanding (MoU) that the State of Kuwait signed recently with the Republic of India to increase the operational capacity of flights between the two countries is a strategic step in line with the commitment of Kuwait to strengthen its position as an international transit hub in the region and to expand its air connectivity network with Asian and international markets, particularly with India -- one of its largest partners in the field of air transport. In a press statement on Wednesday, the DGCA pointed out that the MoU paves the way for an increase in the number of direct flights between Kuwait International Airport and Indian airports, thereby stimulating air transport, tourism, and trade exchange. It added that this move is beneficial to national and foreign airlines operating at Kuwait International Airport. The DGCA affirmed that Kuwait is keen on signing such MoUs, as per the directive of the political leadership, after the recent visit of the Prime Minister of the Republic of India to Kuwait, with the Council of Ministers following up on this issue. It is based on the vision to develop the civil aviation sector, enhance the efficiency of Kuwait International Airport, and achieve economic and strategic benefits, especially in light of the expansion projects and infrastructure currently being implemented at the airport. According to DGCA, the MoU is also in response to the remarkable increase in the number of Indians residing in Kuwait -- from around 300,000 in 2007 to nearly one million at present. It stated this necessitates an increase in regular flights to meet the growing demand for travel between the two countries, in addition to serving the Kuwaiti citizens. It expressed appreciation for the support of His Highness the Prime Minister Sheikh Ahmad Al-Abdullah in the signing of this memorandum, as part of his directives to strengthen international cooperation, support efforts to develop the civil aviation sector, and open new horizons for economic partnerships that benefit the national economy. The DGCA confirmed that the Indian side expressed the desire to sign this agreement, given its importance in facilitating the movement of Indian citizens and supporting historical, social, and economic ties with Kuwait. It asserted that this step reflects the strong relations between the two countries and enhances opportunities for bilateral cooperation in various fields, particularly air transport. The MoU is considered a qualitative leap attributed to the continuous efforts exerted by the DGCA -- headed by Sheikh Hamoud Al- Sabah who coordinated with various government agencies to address this demand, which was first presented more than 18 years ago. This development is a manifestation of the continuous efforts exerted by the concerned authorities in both countries to overcome obstacles and sign such a vital MoU.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store