
Delhi HC dismisses plea by actor Jacqueline Fernandez to quash money-laundering case against her
The actor had moved court seeking to quash the Enforcement Directorate's case against her, along with a second supplementary chargesheet that names her as the tenth accused.
In her plea, Fernandez claimed that she was a victim of Chandrasekhar's 'maliciously targeted attack'.
'There is absolutely no indication she had any involvement whatsoever in aiding him to launder his purportedly ill-gotten wealth,' the legal news outlet quoted the plea as saying.
The petition said that in view of this, she could not be prosecuted for alleged money laundering.
Fernandez's plea also stated that the Enforcement Directorate had acknowledged that Tihar Jail officials gave Chandrasekhar unrestricted access to mobile phones and other technology, which he allegedly used to deceive the original complainant and several film artists, including herself.
The plea further argued that since the agency had already recorded her statement as a prosecution witness in the original fraud case, continuing proceedings against her in the money laundering case was unjustified.
In the money laundering case, Chandrashekhar is accused of extorting around Rs 215 crore from Shivinder Singh, a former promoter of pharmaceutical giant Ranbaxy, and his wife Aditi Singh. Chandrashekhar had allegedly impersonated the Union home secretary, law secretary and an officer in the prime minister's office while speaking to them.
On August 7, 2022, Chandrashekhar was arrested by the Delhi Police.
The Enforcement Directorate is also investigating the allegations that Chandrashekhar used funds gained by cheating and extorting high-profile individuals to buy gifts for Fernandez. The agency had named the actor in a supplementary chargesheet in the case.
The supplementary chargesheet alleged that Chandrashekhar gave gifts worth Rs 5.71 crore to Fernandez from the proceeds of crime generated by criminal activities, including extortion. The investigating agency also claimed that Fernandez was aware that the gifts given to her were the proceeds of crime.

Try Our AI Features
Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:
Comments
No comments yet...
Related Articles


Hans India
26 minutes ago
- Hans India
Rahul Gandhi's photo on sanitary pads in Bihar: JD-U slams Congress for 'ideological bankruptcy'
New Delhi: Congress party's unique women-centric initiative and public outreach via sanitary pads has sparked controversy in the poll-bound Bihar, with political parties reacting sharply to what they called 'weird' attempt to woo voters. The ruling Janata Dal (United) launched a tirade at the grand old party for politicizing issues sensitive to women and called it an example of its ideological bankruptcy. The criticism was triggered by a photograph of Congress leader Rahul Gandhi featuring prominently on sanitary pad packets, being distributed under the party's Priyadarshini Udaan Yojana, aimed at raising menstrual hygiene awareness among women in Bihar. The Congress launched the initiative as part of a larger campaign for women voters in the state. The party claimed that over 5 lakh sanitary pad boxes will be distributed, with an aim to address menstrual health, break social taboos, and also spread awareness across rural and urban areas alike. However, JD-U spokesperson Neeraj Kumar strongly criticised the Congress over the move. "What has happened to the Congress Party?" he asked, calling the strategy a shallow electoral gimmick. 'Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has been working continuously to empower the daughters and sisters of state, to empower them and to build a robust landscape for their overall development. The election year has come; daughters, women are a symbol of respect and honour, but you, in an arrogant display of power, put your face on it (sanitary pads),' he said, slamming the use of Rahul Gandhi's image on the sanitary pads. Neeraj Kumar further said the Congress's alliance with a party like the RJD has led to such political missteps. 'It shows, in politics, what is called ideological bankruptcy or lack of intellect. Not understanding the situation, or, naturally, the outcomes of being with a party like RJD, which is known for its political misdeeds, the effect of that co-operation was seen.' The sanitary pad distribution is part of the party's Priyadarshini Udaan Yojana, under which the Congress claims to be advocating for menstrual hygiene and awareness. In addition, the party has unveiled the Mai Bahin Maan Yojana, a flagship welfare scheme for the economic empowerment for women. Under the Mai Bahin Maan Yojana, the Congress promises to provide Rs 2,500 per month directly into the bank accounts of economically disadvantaged women, if the Mahagathbandhan (Grand Alliance) forms the government in Bihar.


Time of India
28 minutes ago
- Time of India
Madhya Pradesh CM directs action on affordable housing
BHOPAL : Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Mohan Yadav on Thursday held a review meeting of the Urban Development and Housing Department at Samatva Bhavan, CM House in Bhopal, and issued key directives to officials. During the meeting, CM Yadav instructed that an action plan be prepared to develop affordable and convenient housing in urban areas, taking into account the socio-economic conditions of the people, to control the expansion of slums in cities. He also emphasised environmental improvement in urban regions and said that parks must be developed, and tree plantations should be promoted in all housing projects, including those undertaken by development authorities and the Housing Board. Additionally, the Chief Minister instructed that a comprehensive survey be conducted of illegal constructions around Bhopal's Upper Lake, and a campaign be launched for action against them. The Chief Minister stated that reputed national-level builders and colonisers should be involved in urban colony development, and also stressed the immediate modernisation of fire services to manage emergencies in both urban and industrial areas. The CM further stated that a proposal should be prepared to introduce the "Namo Train" service, aiming to expand intra-city rail connectivity in the state. He added that he would soon hold discussions with Union Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw to seek support in this regard. He also instructed that priority be given to providing housing facilities to Ladli Behnas under government schemes. Directions were issued to urban bodies to take prompt action in organising meat and fish vendors and allotting suitable spaces for their operations. The Chief Minister emphasised expanding the Deendayal Rasoi Yojana in religious areas with support not only from the government but also from voluntary organisations and private donors. He also proposed forming self-help groups in urban areas to establish modern laundry services, for which financial support and suitable space would be arranged. He directed that houses constructed under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) and other schemes should be allotted as soon as the ownership formalities are completed. Highlighting the importance of a clean urban environment, he said reserved land in cities should be identified and developed into city forests (Nagar Vans), with proper maintenance responsibilities clearly defined. Along with this, state Urban Development & Housing Minister Kailash Vijayvargiya said that an integrated development plan is being prepared for religious and tourist towns. A development plan worth Rs 2,800 crore has been prepared for Chitrakoot town, including an Rs 800 crore Detailed Project Report by the Urban Development Department. He added that the Housing Board has been instructed to explore redevelopment (re-densification) projects in the state.


Time of India
28 minutes ago
- Time of India
Cartel of architects, CAs, Vasai Virar municipal officials colluded for illegal construction: ED
NEW DELHI: A "large cartel" of architects, chartered accountants, and officials of the Vasai Virar City Municipal Corporation in Maharashtra colluded for large-scale illegal construction on land meant for sewage treatment plants, and dumping ground was sold fraudulently to the public, the Enforcement Directorate has said. The federal probe agency said in a statement that fresh searches were conducted at 16 locations on July 1 in connection with the money laundering probe into the construction of 41 illegal buildings in Vasai Virar area. During the raids, bank deposits and mutual funds worth Rs 12.71 crore were frozen and cash of Rs 26 lakh was seized apart from "incriminating" documents and devices, it said. The money laundering case stems from an FIR registered by the Mira Bhayandar Police Commissionerate against some builders, local henchmen and others. The case, according to the ED, pertains to illegal construction of residential-cum-commercial buildings on government and private land under the jurisdiction of Vasai Virar City Municipal Corporation (VVCMC) since 2009. Over a period of time, 41 illegal buildings were constructed on the land reserved for sewage treatment plants and dumping ground as per the approved development plan of Vasai Virar City, the agency said. "The accused builders and developers deceived the public at large by constructing illegal buildings on such land and subsequently sold it to the general public by fabricating approval documents. "Even with prior knowledge that these buildings were unauthorised and would eventually be demolished, the developers misled the people by selling rooms in these buildings thereby committing serious fraud," the ED alleged. The Bombay High Court issued an order in July 2024 ordering the demolition of all 41 buildings. The residents of these residential units subsequently filed a special leave petition (SLP) before the Supreme Court but this was dismissed and VVCMC demolished these structures on February 20. Probe found, the ED said, that a "large cartel of architects, CAs, liaisoners and VVCMC officials are operating in collusion with each other." "This cartel is responsible for large-scale illegal construction in the jurisdiction of VVCMC," it said. The searches led to the recovery of "incriminating" digital devices which show the "involvement" of VVCMC officials in perpetrating this illegal construction scam, it said. The digital devices also show the "close" nexus of VVCMC officials/officers with the architects, CAs and liaisoners and the extent of "large-scale" corruption and black money flowing in the VVCMC to get the approval for construction of buildings, the ED said. The first round of searches in this case were conducted by the ED in May.