logo
Scotland's first openly gay footballer Zander Murray to host Pride events in Glasgow

Scotland's first openly gay footballer Zander Murray to host Pride events in Glasgow

Daily Record25-06-2025
Since retiring from football, Zander has become an award-winning keynote speaker, delivering talks and workshops to help shift attitudes and win over hearts and minds.
Scotland's first openly gay professional footballer Zander Murray is set to headline Pride events in Glasgow.
The 33-year-old, who played for Bonnyrigg Rose and Gala Fairydean Rovers before retiring, will host a Lunch and Learn session on Wednesday, June 25, at The Social Hub in the Merchant City area.

He hopes to share his personal journey, the challenges he's faced, and how visibility and representation can help create a more inclusive future for LGBTQ+ athletes. He will also host a community dinner at the venue on Thursday, July 17, a celebration of connection, collaboration, and creativity.

Speaking ahead of the events, Zander said: 'In a city that means so much to me, this kind of event matters. It's not just about being seen. It's about being heard.'
They form part of the venue's temporary name change to the "Pride Hub" and programme of inclusive events throughout July.
Zander made headlines after coming out during his playing career by way of a quiet post on Facebook in 2022. He has also investigated homophobia in Scottish football in a documentary for the BBC's Disclosure programme.
He recalled: 'I was just sitting on a balcony in Benidorm, no Instagram, no Twitter, just me thinking, I'm finally ready. So I made this wee post for the lads on my team. Fell asleep. Woke up to messages from Lorraine Kelly. I'm like, what the f*** is going on? I was literally told to get a flight to London to be on her show. It was insane.

"I signed for a new club just after coming out, and suddenly the BBC documentary dropped early. I was presenting it, doing press, trying to stay match-fit. It was too much. I had to leave pre-season camp early to lead Edinburgh Pride. Two weeks later, I was off to Hong Kong to speak at the Gay Games. The advocacy just took over.
'I didn't play higher because I hated myself. I had this idea that if I went to a big club, someone would dig up a camp photo, post it on a forum, and the abuse would start. That fear stayed with me for years. I sabotaged myself before anyone else could.
'You don't get slagged for missing a pass. They go for your sexuality. Twitter, TikTok, the comments. It's brutal. And it messes with your head. You're already under pressure just being a footballer. Add all that, and it's too much.'

Since then, Zander has become a tireless advocate for inclusivity in sport.
He is now an award-winning keynote speaker, delivering talks and workshops across schools, football academies and corporate organisations including LinkedIn, Morgan Stanley, UEFA and the Hong Kong Gay Games, helping to shift attitudes and win over hearts and minds.
Join the Daily Record WhatsApp community!
Get the latest news sent straight to your messages by joining our WhatsApp community today.
You'll receive daily updates on breaking news as well as the top headlines across Scotland.
No one will be able to see who is signed up and no one can send messages except the Daily Record team.
All you have to do is click here if you're on mobile, select 'Join Community' and you're in!
If you're on a desktop, simply scan the QR code above with your phone and click 'Join Community'.
We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like.
To leave our community click on the name at the top of your screen and choose 'exit group'.
If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Zander said: 'I go into rooms of young boys and ask three questions. Who's heard homophobic language this month? In this club? Who's said it? And after I tell my story, you can see the penny drop. That moment is when things start to change.'
Zander has travelled across the UK and internationally for advocacy work, from the Gay Games in Hong Kong to Pride events in Manchester and London, but says returning to Glasgow always hits differently.
He added: 'Any work in Glasgow means everything to me. I don't have to slow my voice down. The crowds get it. I'm from here. It's personal. I see my younger self in all of them.

'You walk into a room in the east end and the lads are pure giggling, acting daft. But once you tell them what it was like growing up gay in a scheme, they get it. You see the shift happen in real time. That's the power of doing it here.
'When I saw my shirt in the museum at Hampden, next to legends like Sir Alex Ferguson and Denis Law, I felt like a total imposter. But then I thought, what if 13-year-old me saw that, that could've saved my life.
'They're smashing it at The Social Hub. Hosting sober events, listening, adapting. You feel seen there, and it's actually for the community.'

Zander's upcoming event forms just part of the venue's temporary rebrand as the 'Pride Hub' for July, with a focus on inclusive, community-led programming.
He said: "They asked for my input and actually acted on it. That doesn't happen often. It's a real partnership. No egos, just action. More of that, please.'

In 2018, Zander's intense schedule and unprocessed stress caught up with him, forcing him to confront his own health and burnout.
'I burned out. Shingles, chronic fatigue. I've never fully shaken it. But it pushed me into something new," he said.
"Now I'm thinking about training as a trauma-informed coach. I've got the psychology background, the lived experience, and the drive to help other people who feel like I used to.
'My advice to anyone who wants to do this kind of work is to sit down with your demons. Properly. Have a cup of tea with them. Once you've made peace with yourself, then you're ready. The hate will come. But so will the impact.'
Orange background

Try Our AI Features

Explore what Daily8 AI can do for you:

Comments

No comments yet...

Related Articles

Lynda Shahwan dead: BBC presenter dies in car crash on family holiday
Lynda Shahwan dead: BBC presenter dies in car crash on family holiday

Daily Mirror

timea few seconds ago

  • Daily Mirror

Lynda Shahwan dead: BBC presenter dies in car crash on family holiday

BBC Radio Wales producer and presenter Lynda Shahwan has died at the age of 53, it has been announced. Lynda, who was the creator behind on of Wales' most popular podcasts, has died following a car accident while on holiday with her family in Canada. The BBC presenter was behind Terry Walton's Plotcast, which discussed the experience of allotment life, and she co-hosted the podcast alongside Terry. She worked for BBC Radio Wales for more than 25 years and was known to listeners as 'The Lily from Caerphilly'. Devastated friends and colleagues have paid tribute to Lynda in the wake of the sad news. As the sad news came in, gardening expert and podcast host Terry paid tribute to Lynda, who lived in Heath, Cardiff, as per the BBC."We pass our sympathies on to Lynda's husband Sharif, their two sons and all of the family on the tragic and sudden taking of Lynda from us far too soon," he said. "My last two years of working with Lynda on the Plotcast were the most fulfilling and cherished broadcasting I have done. "Our chemistry and her creative talent made every episode a gem of gardening knowledge. Such fun whilst still being very informative. "Her professionalism and easy going manner made every recording a pleasure and brought the best out of us both. "We became true friends and after recording we would both relax and discuss many aspects of life." While Head of Radio Wales Carolyn Hitt hailed Lynda as a "very special person" in a tribute. She said: ""Since she began her career with Radio Wales in 1999 she made a brilliant impact on the station, on and off air, working across almost all of our output. "For several years, Lynda was Roy Noble's fellow presenter on his morning show, where he affectionately christened her 'The Lily from Caerphilly'. "More recently, Lynda was back in front of the mic once more, this time with Terry Walton, co-presenting and producing her fantastic passion project the Plotcast – just one of the many examples of her creativity and innovation. "We are all devastated at Radio Wales at the sudden loss of our much-loved colleague and friend and our hearts go out to Lynda's husband Sharif – who is also a much-loved colleague - their two sons and all their family and friends." While BBC Radio Wales host Roy Noble added: "Our feelings of condolence go to Lynda's family, Sharif and the boys. "It was a sudden, sudden loss to them and something we in Radio Wales cannot process. "Her legacy will be always, always remembered."

Ozzy Osbourne's bandmates and fans pay tribute: ‘You're forever in my heart'
Ozzy Osbourne's bandmates and fans pay tribute: ‘You're forever in my heart'

Leader Live

time2 minutes ago

  • Leader Live

Ozzy Osbourne's bandmates and fans pay tribute: ‘You're forever in my heart'

The music superstar's death at the age of 76 was announced in a statement to the PA news agency saying he was 'with his family and surrounded by love'. His Black Sabbath band mates – Terence 'Geezer' Butler, Tony Iommi and Bill Ward – led tributes to Osbourne alongside fans from his home city of Birmingham, where he had taken to the stage as part of a reunion concert just weeks earlier. Black Sabbath co-founder Iommi said it was 'brilliant' to reunite with the band before Osbourne died, saying the singer 'really wanted' to perform together again and 'felt at home'. He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: 'It is really a shock. It's really hit me today to be honest, but yeah, a terrible shock.' On their reunion concert two weeks ago, Iommi said: 'It was brilliant to be with all the guys again… and it was brilliant for Ozzy because he really wanted to do that, you know, he felt at home there and it was really good for him. 'It was good for all of us, and lovely to be able to get together for a final thing. I mean, we didn't realise it was going to be this final.' Earlier this month, Osbourne took to the stage as part of the Black Sabbath reunion, telling thousands of heavy metal enthusiasts at Villa Park – a stone's throw from where the band was formed in 1968 – that it was 'so good to be on this stage' as he performed his last set from a large black throne. Osbourne and his fellow original Black Sabbath members were the last to appear as part of the star-studded line-up for the Back to the Beginning concert. The band's bassist, Butler said he is 'so glad' the band reunited with Osbourne one final time as he paid tribute to his long-time bandmate and friend, reflecting on their final performance together. 'Thanks for all those years – we had some great fun. 4 kids from Aston – who'd have thought, eh?' he captioned an Instagram post. 'So glad we got to do it one last time, back in Aston. Love you.' Where will I find you now? In the memories, our unspoken embraces, our missed phone calls, no, you're forever in my heart. Deepest condolences to Sharon and all family members. RIP Sincere regrets to all the fans. Never goodbye. Thank you forever. Bill Ward — Bill Ward (@billwarddrums) July 22, 2025 Ward, Black Sabbath's drummer, posted a photo of himself and Osbourne on X, writing: 'Where will I find you now? In the memories, our unspoken embraces, our missed phone calls… no, you're forever in my heart.' Fans left tributes thanking Osbourne for 'bringing Birmingham together' at the scene of a mural honouring the band in the city. Dozens of bunches of flowers, candles and cards were left underneath Osbourne's picture on the Navigation Street mural. One tribute said: 'There are no words, truly. Thank you for everything, for all the music, for the endless and timeless discography. 'You have touched millions, my whole life your music has played almost as if raising me. 'You've gave my family memories, a history of them, even recently at your last gig you bought us so much happiness, it's unreal.' Another simply read: 'Thank you for bringing Birmingham together Ozzy.' The producers and director of upcoming documentary Ozzy Osbourne: No Escape From Now, which began filming in early 2022 during the rocker's recording sessions for his 13th studio album, and is set to air on Paramount+ later this year, also paid tribute to Osbourne. Directed by Bafta award-winner Tania Alexander, the documentary is being produced by UK production house Echo Velvet in partnership with the Osbournes and MTV Entertainment Studios, with Phil Alexander one of the executive producers. A statement from Tania and Phil Alexander, on behalf of Echo Velvet, said: 'We are truly heartbroken to hear the news of Ozzy's passing. 'Filming with him, Sharon, Aimee, Kelly and Jack for the last three-and-a-half years will always be a cherished and remarkable experience – largely because we got to regularly witness Ozzy's indomitable spirit, his mischievous, irresistible grin and his masterful display of unique one-liners.' Black Sabbath went on to become one of the most influential and successful metal bands of all time, selling more than 75 million albums worldwide, with hit songs including Paranoid, Changes and Iron Man. The group were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2006 and Osbourne was added for a second time last year. He rose to further fame alongside his wife Sharon – whom he married in 1982 and with whom he has three children, Aimee, Jack and Kelly – through their MTV reality TV series The Osbournes. In 2020, Osbourne revealed he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, telling Good Morning America that it was discovered he had the neurodegenerative disorder after a fall. He said: 'I did my last show New Year's Eve at The Forum. Then I had a bad fall. I had to have surgery on my neck, which screwed all my nerves and I found out that I have a mild form.' He released his 12th studio album Ordinary Man in 2020, followed by Patient Number 9 in 2022, which went to number three and two in the UK charts, respectively. A family statement released on Tuesday night said: 'It is with more sadness than mere words can convey that we have to report that our beloved Ozzy Osbourne has passed away this morning. He was with his family and surrounded by love. We ask everyone to respect our family privacy at this time.'

Ice hockey club retire shirt number of teenage star who died in Ibiza
Ice hockey club retire shirt number of teenage star who died in Ibiza

Leader Live

time2 minutes ago

  • Leader Live

Ice hockey club retire shirt number of teenage star who died in Ibiza

Gary Kelly, 19, who played for the Dundee Stars, died at the Ibiza Rocks Hotel in San Antonio on Monday. On Tuesday the club announced that 'as a mark of respect' for Mr Kelly, one of his teammates has opted to change his shirt number for the upcoming season. In a social media post, the club explained: 'As a mark of respect, Dominick Jaglar has opted to change his number for the upcoming season from 45 to 72 '45 was the number Gary Kelly wore on two occasions, making his Elite league debut for his hometown team the Dundee Stars in 2024-25.' As a mark of respect, Dominick Jaglar has opted to change his number for the upcoming season from 45 to 72 45 was the number Gary Kelly wore on 2 occasions, making his Elite league debut for his hometown team the Dundee Stars in 2024-25 ❤️🤍💙🫶 — Dundee Stars🏒🥅 (@DundeeStars) July 22, 2025 Flowers, pictures and team tops have been left in tribute outside the Dundee Ice Arena, the club's home venue, with the club thanking those who had done so. 'Floral tributes are being left at Dundee Ice Arena for one of our own, Gary Kelly,' the club said on social media. 'If you wish to leave flowers, please feel free to do so.' A fundraising page has been set up for the Kelly family, which has so far received donations from more than 700 people totalling £17,700, with a target of £22,000. The GoFundMe page reads: 'We are all feeling the loss of young Gary Kelly. 'I know you can't put a price on life. But hopefully we can help the family through this, as a nicer young man and family you would struggle to find. John Colley, chairman of Scottish Ice Hockey and Aberdeen Lynx – where Mr Kelly also played – said on Tuesday the entire hockey community is still 'coming to terms with the devastating loss of Gary Kelly'. He went on: 'Gary was a young man who left a lasting impression on everyone he met – not just through his incredible talent on the ice, but through his warmth, generosity, and infectious charisma. 'We are a hockey family, and Gary was a cherished part of that family. His absence will be felt deeply – not just in Aberdeen, but across the Scottish hockey community and further afield. 'Above all, Gary valued family – both his own and the wider hockey family. As we reflect on the joy and impact he brought to so many, we want to come together to honour his memory and the legacy he leaves behind.' In a statement issued following the news of Mr Kelly's death, the Dundee Stars said everyone at the club was 'heartbroken'. The club added: 'Gary was hugely talented and charismatic individual who had a great future ahead of him. 'His loss will impact many in the ice hockey community and beyond. He will be sadly missed. 'We respect and support the family's request for privacy at this extremely difficult time.' The incident came after another Scottish tourist, Evan Thomson, 26, fell to his death at the same hotel premises earlier in July.

DOWNLOAD THE APP

Get Started Now: Download the App

Ready to dive into a world of global content with local flavor? Download Daily8 app today from your preferred app store and start exploring.
app-storeplay-store